Worst arcade console ports

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Man the Amiga, it so many shit ports it wasn't funny. These are some of the worst I had I played when I had one.

Double Dragon
Super Contra
Strider: I'd say the SMS port was better if that tells you anything.
Ghouls n Ghosts

TMNT

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Alpha 3 DC, what problems are there? Alpha 3 Naomi and DC aside from pixel count discrepancies there's really nothing I can't think of being a problem.

I heard something about 3D hit boxes or some shit but in all honesty it hasn't affected my game none. Same for 3rdS but I have heard more than once there are problems with this port as well, dunno what they're talking about. Maybe the problems only arise at top level play in which case, NO ONE here other than LWK has nothing to worry about.

People are too concerned with gameplay elements they can't even reach, the same goes for SNK ports on the DC.

I'm still waiting to hear what the problems with SFA3 and 3S are.

i don't know what scott is talking about with the dreamcast port of third strike. and i personally can't tell the difference between the arcade and dreamcast port of alpha 3.

but i do remember some years back, andsuchisdeath was pointing out the differences between the arcade and the dreamcast port of alpha 3. if i remember correctly, there were minor flaws when porting the game to the dreamcast, such as fireballs not connecting at times.

but i don't think i've ever experienced a problem playing the game myself.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
His comparison was CPS2 to Naomi/DC I believe, but even then the differences aren't detrimental.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
There were a few problems with 3rd Strike on DC. First, the game ran interlaced by default. It wasn't until a few months after release that the 240p code came out to fix the problem. To me, it still looks a little off and a bit washed out, but it does run at the problem resolution if you hold L+X on bootup. Second, the game doesn't feature the original music, its all remixed. Its not bad, but its different. Finally, there's input lag. Again, I've played worse, but its kind of a bummer coming from the absolutely stellar ports of New Generation/2nd Impact. My guess is it must have been a different team that ported 3rd Strike. Don't get me wrong, its better than the PS2/X-Box ports, but it should have been perfect.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
There were a few problems with 3rd Strike on DC. First, the game ran interlaced by default. It wasn't until a few months after release that the 240p code came out to fix the problem. To me, it still looks a little off and a bit washed out, but it does run at the problem resolution if you hold L+X on bootup. Second, the game doesn't feature the original music, its all remixed. Its not bad, but its different. Finally, there's input lag. Again, I've played worse, but its kind of a bummer coming from the absolutely stellar ports of New Generation/2nd Impact. My guess is it must have been a different team that ported 3rd Strike. Don't get me wrong, its better than the PS2/X-Box ports, but it should have been perfect.

Interesting. It was always my understanding with the DC version of 3rd Strike that is was never intended to be a perfect arcade port at all, rather capcom attempted to fix/change move properties to rebalance the game for the console release.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Personally I've never noticed all these discrepancies, maybe I should have but I dunno, ignorance is bliss? I've heard so many different complaints, facts or what have you about 3rdS, the strange thing is a lot of them differ from one another. All I do is play my game, it works in all of the ports pretty much the same, no complaints from my part but then again I'm no pro.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Man the Amiga, it so many shit ports it wasn't funny. These are some of the worst I had I played when I had one.

Double Dragon
Super Contra
Ghouls n Ghosts

TMNT

The Amiga was cursed with shitty ports by the likes of US Gold and Tiertex. Final Fight is another offender.
At least Ghouls n' Ghosts had a cool soundtrack.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
I think that most of the worst ports were already named.

Based on my personal experience, I hate the MD/Genesis conversion of Toki.
What were they thinking?
Even NES had a more faithful port...

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I think most of the complaints against 3rd Strike on DC were that it was based on a newer revision of the game, and not their preferred older, broken version.
I personally preferred the remixed music compared to the CPS3 arrangements.

Both KOF 99's were great on the DC. Strange how the BGs are 3D and yet neither game supports VGA natively, kinda weird...however...both games produce 240p so nicely, maybe that's why?

KOF Dream Match 1999 has a 240p option, but KOF '99 Evo will only run in 480i - no 240p/480p there.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
The Amiga was cursed with shitty ports by the likes of US Gold and Tiertex. Final Fight is another offender.
At least Ghouls n' Ghosts had a cool soundtrack.

Yeah I forgot to say G n G did have any amazing / creepy ost by Tim Follin. US Gold was a stamp of death for computer ports, Tiger Road was another shitter I forgot to mention cranked out by them. The Amiga was so much more capable of good game's programmers should have been ashamed letting shit out the door like that.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think most of the complaints against 3rd Strike on DC were that it was based on a newer revision of the game, and not their preferred older, broken version.
I personally preferred the remixed music compared to the CPS3 arrangements.

KOF Dream Match 1999 has a 240p option, but KOF '99 Evo will only run in 480i - no 240p/480p there.

I stand corrected if that's the case but find it strange as 99 Evo running on 480i as you explained looks about as sharp on a CRT as the previous 99DM, I took it as 240p due to it. 480i usually has that faded look with that awful blurr on a SD CRT, I don't see that on 99 Evo. I'm gonna revisit when I have the chance, it's been a while...

Boki

New Challenger
In a general defense of my position that a2 is a bad port, I admit (and said as much in my post) that it's an incredible marvel that a2 was even on the SNES, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't play terribly. I'm sure there are far far worse ports of fighting games, but for gods sake the psx version of a2 was already out when they released the SNES version. If they knew the hardware could barely handle it why did they make the port at all?

Like I get that there are far worse, but people are hurling around darkstalkers psx and even a2 psx, and I maintain that the SNES port of a2 is far worse than either of those.

Edit:Also someone mentioned dragons lair NES, so I wanted to add that Space Ace SNES is another terrible butchering of Don Bluth's wonderful work

Back to these days, programmers doesn't wanted to let a console down that easily, because they wanted to master it better every time. This is why they haven't let down SFC or Saturn that easily. What was the purpose of Final Fight Revenge, except to show that the cartridge can also support 3D games? Alpha 3 on Sega Saturn has been made when the Dreamcast was already there, or almost, and Final Fight revenge was made after the Dreamcast (and I forgot to speak about D&D too...)

To master Alpha 2, you have to play it on all support, including SFC, Sega Saturn , CPS2,etc...

The same combos works on SFC version (or almost...)

Salty

n00b
Pac-Man 2600
2600_screen_Pacman1.gif

End thread.

That's the winner! :snack:

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
With all the Final Fight mentions for SNES, I thought someone would get to Double Dragon on NES before me. It was back in the day when it was awesome to just get arcade translations for home, but 1 player? Shouldn't have been released without that. Probably a ton of people got it home before they even knew it wasn't co-op. So even though I played the shit out of it, Double Dragon for NES was my biggest letdown, and, therefore worst, port.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
With all the Final Fight mentions for SNES, I thought someone would get to Double Dragon on NES before me. It was back in the day when it was awesome to just get arcade translations for home, but 1 player? Shouldn't have been released without that. Probably a ton of people got it home before they even knew it wasn't co-op. So even though I played the shit out of it, Double Dragon for NES was my biggest letdown, and, therefore worst, port.

So you think the worst arcade console port ever was Double Dragon for the Nes? Got'Cha.

Can we have some sort of screening process here before allowing these noobs in. Just a few basic questions they have to answer before joining.

Last edited:

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
SNK games for NES.

Have you played Alpha Mission or Ikari Warriors on 8-bit Nintendo? Fuck me... If you want to lose some hair, play either of these games.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
SNK games for NES.

Have you played Alpha Mission or Ikari Warriors on 8-bit Nintendo? Fuck me... If you want to lose some hair, play either of these games.

So, you've made it clear that you don't like the AC originals after buying the switch port, so..what makes the NES ports bad?
Have you been A/Bing them?

Oh, maybe they're not bad arcade ports and you just *gasp* don't like these games?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’m going to have to say KOF 98 on the AES. I dont know what happened with that one but it’s total trash when compared to its MVS version.

Really weird because most AES games I played feel pretty close to their MVS counterparts, but ‘98 somehow just got completely butchered for some reason.

:scratch:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I’m going to have to say KOF 98 on the AES. I dont know what happened with that one but it’s total trash when compared to its MVS version.

Really weird because most AES games I played feel pretty close to their MVS counterparts, but ‘98 somehow just got completely butchered for some reason.

:scratch:

The AES was rushed to market and despite the claims on the top, is not 100% pro-gear spec. They had to cut a few corners on the spec.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
The AES was rushed to market and despite the claims on the top, is not 100% pro-gear spec. They had to cut a few corners on the spec.

I knew it! I knew something was fishy!!!

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

Double Dragon
Super Contra
Ghouls n Ghosts

TMNT
I will say this though the intro for super contra on the amgia,is hilarious.

After reading the entire thread a couple nes games came mind for me as bad ports.Ikari Warriors and Ghousl'n'Ghost,both handle by micronics and both very broken.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
SNK games for NES.

Guerilla War for NES is incredible though. Always fun to blast through

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
So you think the worst arcade console port ever was Double Dragon for the Nes? Got'Cha.

Can we have some sort of screening process here before allowing these noobs in. Just a few basic questions they have to answer before joining.

Most disappointing, yes...so yeah worst for me. The few arcade ports I played back then at least tried. Ikari Warriors, mentioned here, was awful, but at least it was co-op and attempted to mimic the arcade. Go blow up someone who mentioned Final Fight for SNES then as that was a much better arcade port. Same boat with single player, but at least it resembled the arcade in graphics and gameplay.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Most disappointing, yes...so yeah worst for me. The few arcade ports I played back then at least tried. Ikari Warriors, mentioned here, was awful, but at least it was co-op and attempted to mimic the arcade. Go blow up someone who mentioned Final Fight for SNES then as that was a much better arcade port. Same boat with single player, but at least it resembled the arcade in graphics and gameplay.

I don't think the Nes was capable of pushing out the graphics from the arcade games. The 16 Bit consoles did a much better job at it. They did the same thing with other games like Mighty Final Fight and Ninja Gaiden which had completely different sprites or gameplay and still turned out to be a awesome games. Although D&D didn't have co-op I still feel they did a great job and it doesn't deserve to be treated as one of the worst arcade console port ever. The game is still a ton of fun to play, even if you can only play it by yourself. Have a few beers and take turns if co-op is such a big deal.

This is a interesting article.

http://www.d4gameplay.com/2015/05/8-bit-vs-16-bit-double-dragon-best-home-console-port/

I also don't think Final Fight for the Snes is the worst arcade console port ever, not even close, but when compared to other FF ports, it's one of the worst Final Fight ports that I played. They left out fuckin Guy, he's my favorite character in Final Fight, game feels incomplete without him, the sprites look funny and the game doesn't play as smooth as other Final Fight's. I think they could have done a much better job with the Snes port.

Final Fight CD, X68k Final Fight, Final Fight One GBA are still better ports of Final Fight.

Snes Cover
GwqheFj.jpg

Sega Cd Cover
QNBOhuD.jpg

Nuff said.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
I don't think the Nes was capable of pushing out the graphics from the arcade games. The 16 Bit consoles did a much better job at it. They did the same thing with other games like Mighty Final Fight and Ninja Gaiden which had completely different sprites or gameplay and still turned out to be a awesome games. Although D&D didn't have co-op I still feel they did a great job and it doesn't deserve to be treated as one of the worst arcade console port ever. The game is still a ton of fun to play, even if you can only play it by yourself. Have a few beers and take turns if co-op is such a big deal.

This is a interesting article.

http://www.d4gameplay.com/2015/05/8-bit-vs-16-bit-double-dragon-best-home-console-port/

I also don't think Final Fight for the Snes is the worst arcade console port ever, not even close, but when compared to other FF ports, it's one of the worst Final Fight ports that I played. They left out fuckin Guy, he's my favorite character in Final Fight, game feels incomplete without him, the sprites look funny and the game doesn't play as smooth as other Final Fight's. I think they could have done a much better job with the Snes port.

Final Fight CD, X68k Final Fight, Final Fight One GBA are still better ports of Final Fight.

Snes Cover
GwqheFj.jpg

Sega Cd Cover
QNBOhuD.jpg

Nuff said.

Yep, Sega CD Final Fight and GBA for sure. But as far as NES not being able to push Double Dragon, see Double Dragon II on the NES...very respectable. The first one was definitely rushed to maximize profits and while the game wasn't junk as a standalone, it was a bad port. Add that to the fact that, like me, many kids got that thing and couldn't bust heads with friends just like in the arcade and it was sunken boner city. I can't speak to a lot of the other ports mentioned, like the Vs. games on PS1 as I got all that stuff on Saturn and then Dreamcast. So it's mostly old shit I have to remember, because I'm fucking old.