Worst arcade console ports

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Very interesting...maybe it was experience at the time of development and where games were in the consoles life cycle, but they pulled off more demanding games on NES. I had the Master System one later on once I had a power base on Genesis, and it did have issues. The Genesis one I own today and it's definitely a good port.

omg, that music is terrible - sounds like it being played with a Casio keyboard and a slide whistle.

Last edited:

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
omg, that music is terrible - sounds like it being played with a Casio keyboard and a slide whistle.

Hah...yeah for sure, that's probably giving the music too much credit, but pretty much nailed everything else. Moving around was a little 'icy', but so was the arcade. If I want to play DD these days, it's double dragon advance.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Very interesting...maybe it was experience at the time of development and where games were in the consoles life cycle.

That's the case with most early console games. They still haven't pushed the hardware to its limits hence the games don't look as pretty but that doesn't mean they still don't have a ton of heart. Most of my favorite Neo Games are Pre 94.

Last edited:

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
That's the case with most early console games. They still haven't pushed the hardware to its limits hence the games don't look as pretty but that doesn't mean they still don't have a ton of heart. Most of my favorite Neo Games are Pre 94.

I agree with that, specifically when you mentioned Ninja Gaiden. There was a game that was so much better than the arcade version...not really a port, but a change in direction that has made it one of my favorite series to this day.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Raiden on SNES is pretty bad still playable though. Just a lazy port considering how impressive the PCE huey was.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Every port developed by Micronics is bad. Sad but true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micronics

And yet some of them were so successful. 1942, Ikari Warriors and Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins were huge sellers in the U.S., and are remembered fondly. Athena did gangbusters in Japan.

I do enjoy some of them. I still play Ikari sometimes, and the famicom port of Exed Exes is pretty good. NES Trojan is a bit janky, and I’m not sure if it’s by Micronics or not, but it’s pretty fun too.

But yeah, a lot of them are scary bad.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
NES Trojan is a bit janky, and I’m not sure if it’s by Micronics or not, but it’s pretty fun too.

But yeah, a lot of them are scary bad.
NES Trojan was more in house thankfully.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Snes Cover
GwqheFj.jpg

Sega Cd Cover
QNBOhuD.jpg

Nuff said.

Both of those covers are incredible for different reasons. The SNES one, aside from lying that Guy is in it, shows a quiet intensity between an old warrior and a young punk. That tension is legendary. The Sega CD cover, which was cut from this:

633210-final_fight.jpg

shows a brutality that isn't thought of while in the game. Enemies just hack when they die in the game but Andore lying down in a pool of his own blood is hardcore.

SNES Final Fight gets shit on a lot - Guy was taken out, a whole level was cut out, Poison and Roxy became Billy and Sid - but for those of us who hadn't played the arcade version first, it was still a great game on its own. And honestly? I think the SNES music is better than the arcade music. The arcade music just sounds too 'scratchy' to me.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Both of those covers are incredible for different reasons. The SNES one, aside from lying that Guy is in it, shows a quiet intensity between an old warrior and a young punk. That tension is legendary. The Sega CD cover, which was cut from this:

633210-final_fight.jpg

shows a brutality that isn't thought of while in the game. Enemies just hack when they die in the game but Andore lying down in a pool of his own blood is hardcore.

SNES Final Fight gets shit on a lot - Guy was taken out, a whole level was cut out, Poison and Roxy became Billy and Sid - but for those of us who hadn't played the arcade version first, it was still a great game on its own. And honestly? I think the SNES music is better than the arcade music. The arcade music just sounds too 'scratchy' to me.

The pool of blood looks awesome. Wish they would have included that in the Sega CD cover. Never experienced the SNES growing up. First time I played Final Fight was on the Sega CD and I was blown away by the Gameplay, Graphics, Music. Much later when I finally played the Snes Version, I was so disappointed but I could see how someone who never played Final Fight Arcade and played the Snes version would enjoy it.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I think SNES Final Fight also should get some credit for being a launch title on that platform. Sure some content was cut compared to the arcade, but seeing and playing it was a hell of an incentive to upgrade from that ratty old NES.

Final Fight CD is definitely the better port, but it also came out a few years later.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Ports that were good by the time they were released, can't be considered worst and the SFC Final Fight port was very good for 1990.