Worst arcade console ports

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
I recently busted out my old SNES and remembered I had Street Fighter alpha 2! Feeling nostalgic I popped it in and oh my god it is the worst arcade port I have ever played. Like seriously, just watch 30 seconds of gameplay. The sound is awful, there's dropped frames everywhere, and there is a literal 5 second pause before every round while the game loads.

I guess I should appreciate that they even managed to port a CPS2 title to the SNES but I just want to know who thought this nearly-unplayable mess would be a good idea.

Anyway, anyone else have any arcade port horror stories?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Pac-Man 2600
2600_screen_Pacman1.gif

End thread.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I recently busted out my old SNES and remembered I had Street Fighter alpha 2! Feeling nostalgic I popped it in and oh my god it is the worst arcade port I have ever played. Like seriously, just watch 30 seconds of gameplay. The sound is awful, there's dropped frames everywhere, and there is a literal 5 second pause before every round while the game loads.

You're grasping for straws.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I actually think that alpha 2 on snes is a marvel...

The quick pause between the "fight" and the round starting is for checking the move list.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Mortal Kombat on the GameBoy? (It didn't stop me from playing it as a kid but man... soooooooo slooooooow. It was impressive to have the sprites there as they were though and it's hard to get more out of the GameBoy I guess)

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Double Dragon on C64.

Double Dragon on Amiga
Ikari Warriors on the 2600
Popeye on the Odyssee 2

The Amiga has quite a few shit ports but the Taito stuff was mostly pretty good (Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, New Zealand Story etc.)

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I played the shit out of pacman on 2600, it was my cousins. It wasn't that bad, it was very playable but space invaders was way better.

Darkstalkers psx
Xmen cota psx
Fatal fury 3 Saturn

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
You're grasping for straws.

Yes he is as the game is a marvel it works that well and its surprisingly good. There are far worse arcade ports out there even on the SNES alone too.

The four second pause in SFA2 is the SDD1 decompression chip at work opening up all the character files.

Berry picked a good awful one with MK1 on GB. Final Fight for accuracy is awful on SNES removing the women, blood, a whole stage, a boss, and religious censorship of "oh my god" with car on the bonus stage.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Final Fight for accuracy is awful on SNES removing the women, blood, a whole stage, a boss, and religious censorship of "oh my god" with car on the bonus stage.

Three fifths of these complaints are products of localization not universally inherent to the port.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I actually think that alpha 2 on snes is a marvel...

The quick pause between the "fight" and the round starting is for checking the move list.

What's a Marvel is that the Snes actually had the balls to run that game. Sure, it's a probably the worst SFA2 port but at least they tried.

I've played so many bad ports but the only one that's come to my mind is Daytona USA for the Saturn. Shit is nothing like the Arcade Version.

I'm reaching on this one and it's not a really bad port but Outrun for the Genny. Once you play the Arcade Version, you never want to play the Genny Port again.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I played the shit out of pacman on 2600, it was my cousins. It wasn't that bad, it was very playable but space invaders was way better.

Darkstalkers psx
Xmen cota psx
Fatal fury 3 Saturn

Add SFA2 and SFA3 psx to that list. The Saturn ports are much better.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Speaking of PS1 Capcom fighters, there's always Xmen vs Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom. There's no character tagging in the PS1 version which kind of defeats the purpose of the game.

But my vote has to go to SNES Captain America and the Avengers. I still remember getting the SNES version and how excited I was, as the local arcade had this game and I played it quite a bit. I played it for under a minute and instantly hated it. Something got messed up with how enemies take hits. Instead of comboing enemies cleanly like the arcade version, every enemy just walks though your punches and ignores your hits. So you have to play the entire game using Konami boss fight "hit once then run away" tactics, or only use ranged attacks while jumping around to avoid them. Fuuuuuuck this game.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I remember playing MK2 @ the arcade and was so pumped to finally get the Genny Version. I was thinking to myself, why does it sound and look different? lol

Damn! These kids now don't know how good they have it. They get perfect arcade games straight to their consoles.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Add SFA2 and SFA3 psx to that list. The Saturn ports are much better.

A3PSX is very playable. Actually so is A2 but I 100% agree on the Saturn ports.

Edit: Come to think of it, not long ago I got to play MSH US on Saturn and even though I had the 3M ram turned on the game played pretty slow, it was super easy on normal mode and it just played super slow. I honestly don't remember the game playing that bad before, which brings me to a conclusion that perhaps back then for me that wasn't that bad, but playing it today it's rough.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
The real let down of Final Fight SNES was no 2P. Honestly, no excuse for that.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
if you think snes a2 is bad i genuinely think less of you as a human being

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i actually like the lesser ports of games. although i still think the snes should of got a port of super turbo instead of alpha 2, alpha 2 was a godsend to all the people who was late to the 32bit era. and i've said this in other threads, but snes final fight is probably my favourite version of the game. final fight cd is sweet, to.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Three fifths of these complaints are products of localization not universally inherent to the port.

I totally agree with it, but it was butchery either way that shouldn't have been tolerated. The non-censorship bit of the lost factory and Rolento I chock up to a rushed launch release window port to cash in for Christmas. And then Pasky puts in the one I forgot, no 2P mode.

Though really far worse 10 years later on the GBA they did the same damn thing again completely. I imported the game from Japan to get to right because of that.

I remember some years ago people were comparing all the releases and oddly the PSX game between it, SNES and Saturn usually got ripped on just a bit worse. Had nearly all the same problems (other than decompression) but then had crappy load times all over the place and rotten FMV thrown into it to if I remember right.

You want a truly epic piece of trash for this list?
Brazilian only Master System release of Street Fighter II. UGH!

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I played the shit out of pacman on 2600, It wasn't that bad, it was very playable but space invaders was way better.

Seconded.

It's also a nostalgia favorite of mine since it was one of three games my mother would play with me. (Burgertime {intellivision} and Warlords {2600} for those curious). Space invaders was a better port and game. I played that more as a kid.

Mat Mania Atari 7800
Dragon's Lair NES