NEO CONTRA

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I recall this game coming out for PS2 but was thrown off by the isometric view and the lack of jumping. The cover art was pretty badass though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
i LOVE this fucking game. better than shattered soldier imo.

Neo Contra!
Oh yeah, oh yeah
Neo Contra!

The smell of dusty sand and ambition
The taste of sweet victory and volition
Sensory overload, it's time to rebel
Dangerous guys are back from hell
Neo Contra!

Rebuild and destroy, the hope of despair
Annihiliate and exterminate an enemy's lair
Stand against the soldier to protect our nation
No matter what happens, you're the salvation
Moments of truth beckons the danger
Aggression and combat releases the anger
Accomplish the mission, satisfaction fulfilled
Go between life and death without getting killed

Now Mephestopheles induces you into hell
Join the death pilgrimage, destroy and dispel, oh
Humanity's future rests with you
Oh - Neo Contra!

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Neo Contra!
Oh yeah, oh yeah
Neo Contra!

The smell of dusty sand and ambition
The taste of sweet victory and volition
Sensory overload, it's time to rebel
Dangerous guys are back from hell
Neo Contra!

Rebuild and destroy, the hope of despair
Annihiliate and exterminate an enemy's lair
Stand against the soldier to protect our nation
No matter what happens, you're the salvation
Moments of truth beckons the danger
Aggression and combat releases the anger
Accomplish the mission, satisfaction fulfilled
Go between life and death without getting killed

Now Mephestopheles induces you into hell
Join the death pilgrimage, destroy and dispel, oh
Humanity's future rests with you
Oh - Neo Contra!

smIKwHX.gif

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I recall this game coming out for PS2 but was thrown off by the isometric view and the lack of jumping. The cover art was pretty badass though.

Jim Lee being flawless as usual.
wallpaper1.jpg

One thing that always bothered me before was the wasted opportunity to make this a twin stick shooter but now after all these years I have come to prefer it for what it is after all the twin stick shooters that have come and gone leaving a taste of generic in their wake.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I felt like an idiot for not realizing for so many years that Mystery G was the real Bill Rizer.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Not as good as Uprising, but overall, awesome, indeed.

I don't think anything has ever been at the level of Uprising and perhaps never will, if only this game could be the beginning for a new wave of platformers we should be heading somewhere. The things you can do in that game are insane, you can play it classic and safe as well, but some of the speed runs I've seen are amazing, really make you look like a bad ass.

Edit: Platformers as a whole, even if we're in a subgenre and all. But Neo Contra doesn't really fall there does it? Game is more akin to Commando and Mercs, Shock Troopers, you know, that Super C alternate stage. I'm just glad they made the game the way they did. Between Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra you got awesome.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The thing I liked about Neo was how it took the series into a humorous, campy direction.

Being shot out of a gun-shaped space station.
Running on helicopter blades.
Exploding from a volcano.
Unlockable bikini outfits.
The perfect voice acting.
Approaching Choaniki-levels of machismo.
Animal Contra.

Lots of people at the time weren't cool with what I mentioned (as well as the overhead perspective/lack of jumping) but I really dug it. Contra Rebirth tried to capture that feeling as well but it came off feeling silly more than corny.

I think everyone was initially disappointed with the game, even I was for a bit, but the more I played the more I grew to like it. I played it everyday after school for a long time, eventually 100% every stage to truly beat the game (which should be the only way to play the game).

The gripes I have with it are few, except:
-the weapon select. Nothing was as satisfying as the machine gun, so it was pointless to play the other weapon modes. Katana Jaguar was fun though.
-the Mystery G boss fight was way, way too easy and should've gone down differently.

I also liked the story, which felt like it had a strong Kojima influence (something about clones and what makes something real blah whatever) and the final boss was sick, really nicely done. Riding away on a whale's back into the sunset is a good way to end the Contra series. When I beat the game I remember thinking how awesome a Contra on the next Playstation would be, taking advantage of the system's power, but it never happened (Uprising was just a downloadable game, like Rebirth). Neo is a nice swan song anyway.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
LOVE this game. It's best played 2-player though if you wanna get S-rank on stages. Really really fun 2-player.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Geez, what rock have I been living under? I never even heard of this. It came out during my 4 years of hell in med school so I wasn't paying much attention. I'll seek this out!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Contra/Super C > Hard Corps > Operation C > Alien Wars > Contra 4 > Shattered Soldier > Neo Contra > LoW > Contra Adventure

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
i guess u really didn't like those two overhead level in 3

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
i think thats what ive been missing, i havent touched a contra game in years. I need to get on it.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I loved it as well. The gameplay was solid. Shattered Soldier is still my favourite though. Hoping they get a PS4 re-release with trophies.

I may have 1cc'ed most of the series at some point. My top 3 were Shattered Soldier, Contra 4 and Contra Hardcorps (genesis).

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
For those who enjoyed Neo Contra, check out Nex Machina on Steam / PS4.