SMS playing

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Whats the best way to play? Get an actual Master system or get the Powerbase adaptor for the Genny?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Everdrive MD or Mega Everdrive.

If you require FM synth with your SMS games, either the NeoMyth MD flash cartridge, or an FM PowerBase Mini converter, a Genesis and a SMS Everdrive or original cartridges. Or, if you don't mind having both a SMS and Genesis sharing the same shelf space, a Model 1 SMS and a FM module from viletim.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Everdrive MD or Mega Everdrive.

If you require FM synth with your SMS games, either the NeoMyth MD flash cartridge, or an FM PowerBase Mini converter, a Genesis and a SMS Everdrive or original cartridges. Or, if you don't mind having both a SMS and Genesis sharing the same shelf space, a Model 1 SMS and a FM module from viletim.

This. The best, convenient, money saving and practical way to do it. If all you want to do is play the games, those are all top options.

If, however, you're the type that prefers playing the games via original carts, and, say, would also wanted to have physical Mark III compatibility thrown into the mix as well, a converter cart like this might be the way to go.

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_12&products_id=74

lKevvRS.jpg

WVK9fIu.jpg

Spend a little more on a "Card Catcher" adapter cart and you would have physical access to the card based games as well.

I wouldn't particularly advise it too strongly, though. :p
It's more for those of us that are sticklers for the "real deal" in terms of owning the games physical carts for these vintage systems.

Just thought I'd throw that option out there.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
The FM Powerbase Mini is an awesome product. You haven't heard SMS games until you experience the FM sound versions.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The FM Powerbase Mini is an awesome product. You haven't heard SMS games until you experience the FM sound versions.

I've done that mod once and it comes close to a Mega Drive FM sound at times. It's a completely different story with that module.
However, a few games retain more *charm* when singing in PSG sound mode.

I'd still get a Model 1 as it has straight RGB out of the box. I have a 60Hz, SMSII RGB modded with Pause button mod too laying around for trade if anyon'e interested.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Doesn't the Genny ED let you play the mastersystem games sans the power base converter?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes dogg, the only reason for the more complicated setups is to either use real carts or fm sound.

I still have a few carts but I don't even have a real SMS anymore, the Genny Everdrive is too convenient. I might pick up a converter or another system someday.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I don't own any flash carts (not for moral reasons, it's just I already had most of my collection when those started to become affordable) so I keep a Genesis and an SMS hooked up. I'd go with a Power Base but then I wouldn't be able to use the 32X as well.

Love the system, though. The 8 bit Sonics are a lot better than their Game Gear counterparts due to the improved resolution.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I don't own any flash carts (not for moral reasons, it's just I already had most of my collection when those started to become affordable) so I keep a Genesis and an SMS hooked up. I'd go with a Power Base but then I wouldn't be able to use the 32X as well.

Yes you can.

Just take the PBC out of the housing. Takes 5 minutes.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I use my Genesis. The SMS has pretty bad RGB video (at least mine does), and I modded my Model 1 Genesis to get rid of the jailbars. I either play SMS games using my Mega Everdrive, or with a Master Everdrive + Power Base Mini FM.