NEOSD MVS Support thread !

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Given how faulty the original batteries have become anyway, I thought it was common already to replace the battery with a CR2320+holder and remove the recharge circuit resistor/track. That gives a constant battery feed to the pcb when off for long periods.
But I agree with Raz, the nvram data should be written on gameover, rather than be overwritten at boot.

Also it would be nice having a "signed" highscore system so users could share records :)

Last edited:

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?
Given how faulty the original batteries have become anyway, I thought it was common already to replace the battery with a CR2320+holder and remove the recharge circuit resistor/track. That gives a constant battery feed to the pcb when off for long periods.

Absolutely. Mine has this mod. :-)

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
as a matter of interest, how long does the CR2320 last before it needs replacing when doing this?

blastar

Member,
everything works like ecpected! :buttrock:

2 small problems
- no '@' in menu/gamelist available
- BOOT:MENU + ARCADE MODE:YES + no SDCard inserted = neverending RESET

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
as a matter of interest, how long does the CR2320 last before it needs replacing when doing this?

They seem to last a year or more before needing to be swapped out

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?

To tell the truth, dunno! xD
I'm using this system since two months ago with no battery problem so far. Based on the duration of this kind of batteries, I suppose it could last for years before backup data disappear.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I don't have a battery in my dev system(s). I need the backup ram to be clear between testing sessions. While developing a game, menu options will be added/tweaked and wrong data getting loaded into settings is an issue.

I'd like to see an option to turn off auto backup ram saving.

Jeff

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I don't have a battery in my dev system(s). I need the backup ram to be clear between testing sessions. While developing a game, menu options will be added/tweaked and wrong data getting loaded into settings is an issue.

I'd like to see an option to turn off auto backup ram saving.

Jeff

Jeff, there is an option to do that so your fine.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member

I do not have specs around, but I can tell mine served at least 2 years with the cab mostly off... it would be nice doing some calculation though.

Last edited:

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member

Had one in a 1slot for 2+ years without issues, battery still had the normal stock voltage...

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
For those interested in SD card benchmark speeds, here you go:
Spoiler:

Test Setup:
Lexar Professional workflow UR1 microsd card reader was used for all tests except when noted
CrystalDiskMark 5.0.2 x64 was used to produce all the test results and was set up with 2 passes and 100MB read/write size
All cards up to 32GB are formatted as FAT32 with 32KB allocation unit size

Test Results (Numbers are Sequential Read, Sequential Write, 4K Random Read, 4K Random Write in MB/s, speeds greater than 10MB/s were rounded to the whole numbers)

16 GB Alphabetically
Lexar 633x** -- 88, 25, 8.7, 1.2
Panasonic U3** -- 93, 42, 11, 0.7
Sandisk Extreme Pro -- 95, 80, 7.6, 2.6

32 GB Alphabetically
Delkin U3 -- 93, 59, 11, 0.6
Kingston 90R/80W -- 93, 58, 11, 0.6
Lexar 1000x -- 90, 57, 10, 1.4
Patriot EP -- 90, 35, 10, 0.6
PNY Turbo Performance -- 91, 55, 6.9, 0.9
Samsung Pro gray -- 92, 82, 10, 3.6
Sandisk Extreme Pro -- 94, 87, 9, 3.0
Sony up to 95MB/s -- 91, 51, 4.8, 0.9
Transcend Ultimate 633x -- 93, 85, 8.1, 1.4

Fastest Sequential Read:
All tested cards were able to accomplish > 90MB/s

Fastest Sequential Write:
Sandisk Extreme Pro, Samsung Pro+, Transcend Ultimate 633x

Fastest Random Read:
Kingston 90R/80W.

Fastest Random Write:
Samsung Pro+

Best overall:
Samsung Pro+ and Sandisk Extreme Pro

Last edited:

nio

Cheng's Errand Boy
Is it possible to enter the chat without flash? i need help with that passwort thingy ...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Is it possible to enter the chat without flash? i need help with that passwort thingy ...

I will give you a ONE time... n00b PM permission thingy...

xROTx

PS. Unless of course you have a Death Wish...

EDIT: For all those not wanting to come into chat... or can't come into chat... I will say... you may PM me... ONCE!

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
NeoSD cart has been arrived and works great even with my homebrewed code :buttrock:
Is there a possibility to add a custom screen shot for the NeoSD menu?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
lets see some homedrew stuff running on the NeoSD.. please post some photos or video jojo23

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Not sure if its a Vista thing or what, I get this error from the command line:-
C:\NeoBuilder>neobuilder pnyaa.zip
NeoBuilder v1.05

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundEx
embly 'MamePostProcessing.dll' or one of its
could not be found.
at NeoBuilder.Program.CheckRuntimeInstalle
at NeoBuilder.Program.Main(String[] args)

Despite .NET 4.5.5 installed, and VC++ 2015 Update 3 Redistributable installed too.

The UI app says the VC++ 2015 Update 3 Redistributable needs installing. Not sure where I go from here, I need to find a Windows 7 or Windows 10 machine I think.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

You need the Redistributable, 32bits version.

Thanks

Not sure if its a Vista thing or what, I get this error from the command line:-
C:\NeoBuilder>neobuilder pnyaa.zip
NeoBuilder v1.05

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundEx
embly 'MamePostProcessing.dll' or one of its
could not be found.
at NeoBuilder.Program.CheckRuntimeInstalle
at NeoBuilder.Program.Main(String[] args)

Despite .NET 4.5.5 installed, and VC++ 2015 Update 3 Redistributable installed too.

The UI app says the VC++ 2015 Update 3 Redistributable needs installing. Not sure where I go from here, I need to find a Windows 7 or Windows 10 machine I think.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The redistibutable (32 bits) is on there - its a 32bit OS. I've given up trying on Vista and moved onto a Windows 7 machine. On Win 7 I am using the command prompt to try and convert 1 game and I've tried a few different sets, all give filename errors (because in most of the sets I have the files are labelled ID-c1.bin rather than ID-c1.c1. I get past that error by unzipping and renaming all the ROMs to match what the tool is expecting, but then hit CRC errors. Can I skip that CRC error at all, because then it should work OK.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The redistibutable (32 bits) is on there - its a 32bit OS. I've given up trying on Vista and moved onto a Windows 7 machine. On Win 7 I am using the command prompt to try and convert 1 game and I've tried a few different sets, all give filename errors (because in most of the sets I have the files are labelled ID-c1.bin rather than ID-c1.c1. I get past that error by unzipping and renaming all the ROMs to match what the tool is expecting, but then hit CRC errors. Can I skip that CRC error at all, because then it should work OK.

Why can't you just do what everyone else has done Gadget pal... and download the stuffs from post 44 of this thread...

I understand that the tool is needed if you want to convert the stuff you find lying around the internet... and I UNDERSTAND why neosd has done it this way...

BUT I have different concerns... and this is why I was willing to do the things I have done...

xROTx

PS. I ALSO understand that when writing a review... you will need to look at all aspects of the device... from conversion tool to actual gameplay...

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Update: I've got it working with a different 'set' OK - but it would be really really nice if it didn't error on a CRC difference - there's no reason to do that imo, perhaps provide it as a warning but allow creation anyway.

PS: I am not sure what you mean by the stuffs from page 44? I've downloaded the tools from their page and followed their precise instructions!

Incidentally, I had some graphical noise or something after flashing and first boot of the game, but after pulling the cart out and putting it back in that seems to have cleared up, so I am guessing it was just a bad connection.

So far I am really impressed with the hardware, not so much the tools lol, but I accept its early days =D

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Update: I've got it working with a different 'set' OK - but it would be really really nice if it didn't error on a CRC difference - there's no reason to do that imo, perhaps provide it as a warning but allow creation anyway.

PS: I am not sure what you mean by the stuffs from page 44? I've downloaded the tools from their page and followed their precise instructions!

Incidentally, I had some graphical noise or something after flashing and first boot of the game, but after pulling the cart out and putting it back in that seems to have cleared up, so I am guessing it was just a bad connection.

So far I am really impressed with the hardware, not so much the tools lol, but I accept its early days =D

Look at post 44 pal... on page 2... click linkie...

xROTx

PS. Then come talk to me...

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Thanks Rot - yes I was being dumb for not seeing that link! Doh! That will certainly be easier than messing around with the tool for now.

I did spot what might be a bug though - I flashed Pochi & Nyaa and I've got those graphical noise lines I mentioned, they come back if I go into the Neo SD menu then chose to start the loaded game. If I power off an on they then disappear, so it would appear to be something to do with having gone into the menu before loading the game from a cold start.

EDIT: Confirmed, I can re-create that graphical glitch by doing what I described - flash N&P, start the game - little lines of pixels appear over sprites. Power system off and have it auto boot the game and the intefering pixels are gone.

Last edited: