NEOSD MVS Support thread !

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I would say its the AES PSU not giving enough juice if other games work on that AES.

samaron

n00b
Yes, I'm thinking that can be the case too. Could try and find a 3rd party PSU that supply more power and try that. I am using a Japanese console. The PSU have the following specs: 100VAC 50/60 Hz 38VA input, 5VDC 3A output. Does the PSUs in other regions deliver more power? Does the flash cart draw much more power than a normal cartridge?

neosd

Neosd Developer
Yes, I'm thinking that can be the case too. Could try and find a 3rd party PSU that supply more power and try that. I am using a Japanese console. The PSU have the following specs: 100VAC 50/60 Hz 38VA input, 5VDC 3A output. Does the PSUs in other regions deliver more power? Does the flash cart draw much more power than a normal cartridge?

If you are using the original AES PSU, this is should not be the problem cause NEOSD AES works fine with original AES JAP PSU, and its almost the same hardware, well AES versión has an extra FPGA so it should draw a bit more.

Notice that there are different AES versions that require different PSUS.

Thanks

samaron

n00b
It is the original PSU for the system. I have it connected to a 500VA step-down transformer, so that isn't the bottleneck either if it is a power issue. Just strange... Would be nice to figure out why it isn't working with my AES/Daedalus. Could be useful information if someone else run into the same problem. Anyhow, this probably has become a slightly off-topic issue for this thread now. At least my cart is confirmed working just fine in a MVS now!

neodev

Neosd Tech
I would say its the AES PSU not giving enough juice if other games work on that AES.

It's also possible that the AES is being held in reset for whatever reason: it's possible that that daedalus cart is not not passing the reset line properly to the NeoSD, or passing a different line as reset, and as NeoSD checks and drives that line itself to reset (after game flashing), it's causing trouble. That line is not normally used by carts, so it might be the cause. I also wonder if there are different daedalus converter revisions, and they have different boards (that probably fix that).

samaron

n00b

I tried the AES again today with a 3rd party PSU that could deliver 4A on 5V. At least the beefiest I could find in a local store. Same result; no boot and distorted picture.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Post 44 expires in 2 weeks... just a FYI post...

xROTx

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
I just discovered that one of my boards mv1fzs (stock bios) is no more working with the last update , flashed games are freezing or constantly rebooting on it.

The neosd is working fine with my second mv1fz (however some glitches are flickering on the menu sometimes , without consequences ) and working fine too on my mv4f (nothing to report on this one).

I 'd made lots of test on that mv1fzs before the last update and was working fine , seems that issue around mv1fz boards is not totaly ended.....

neodev

Neosd Tech
I just discovered that one of my boards mv1fzs (stock bios) is no more working with the last update , flashed games are freezing or constantly rebooting on it.

The neosd is working fine with my second mv1fz (however some glitches are flickering on the menu sometimes , without consequences ) and working fine too on my mv4f (nothing to report on this one).

I 'd made lots of test on that mv1fzs before the last update and was working fine , seems that issue around mv1fz boards is not totaly ended.....

With the latest firmware we tried to fix all the issues on MV1FZs, but it seems that this broke compatibility with one of your boards. This issues seem to be related
to some dodgy or glitchy clock in some specific MV1FZs that prevents neosd from getting a stable lock on the clock signal. So far, it has been the only report about non-working board
with latest firmware, so we'll contact you to try to fix that so it's fine in all boards at once, including problematic MV1FZ ones.

Last edited:

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
With the latest firmware we tried to fix all the issues on MV1FZs, but it seems that this broke compatibility with one of your boards. This issues seem to be related
to some dodgy or glitchy clock in some specific MV1FZs that prevents neosd from getting a stable lock on the clock signal. So far, it has been the only report about non-working board
with latest firmware, so we'll contact you to try to fix that so it's fine in all boards at once, including problematic MV1FZ ones.

Thanks neodev , i'm not worried , you'll fix it for sure , at a moment or another we definitely will go around all those damned mv1fz for good.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
I think you'll also want to look at the crystal and see if there is contact to the strap as gadget points out in his video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j17K5vPULZQ) from 15:00.

Yes, i remember that video , and neosd told me to take a look at the crystal , the board was in perfect condition and probably never opened ....
So , i soldered the strap to get a good contact but that doesn't change anything , the games are freezing or rebooting again and again ....

The most frustrating is that board has never had any issue before the last update:annoyed: ( excluding small glitches but fixed in the second firmware) .

neosd

Neosd Developer
Yes, i remember that video , and neosd told me to take a look at the crystal , the board was in perfect condition and probably never opened ....
So , i soldered the strap to get a good contact but that doesn't change anything , the games are freezing or rebooting again and again ....

The most frustrating is that board has never had any issue before the last update:annoyed: ( excluding small glitches but fixed in the second firmware) .

Hello,

We have sent you an email with a firmware update as we talked yesterday.

Let us know the results

Thanks

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
Hello,

We have sent you an email with a firmware update as we talked yesterday.

Let us know the results

Thanks
Everything is working now , a great support as always ! :-J

Thanks!

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Was in chat but it was only me :( .... oh well at 500KBs it's quite a long DL, no hurry :)

I work on GMT... UK... Sexxor Time...

xROTx

PS. For all n00bs and members alike... if you cannot access chat or catch me in chat, I will allow a ONE time PM...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Just a FYI...

Post 44 expires in 6 days... That is all...

xROTx

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Just a FYI...

Post 44 expires in 6 days... That is all...

xROTx

Hi, dumb question, but when I open that file I got everything unpacked until letter "S" ...no T or V or W... the Unarchiver on my Mac indeed complains about chunk 009 being truncated/incomplete... is this an OSX thing?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hi, dumb question, but when I open that file I got everything unpacked until letter "S" ...no T or V or W... the Unarchiver on my Mac indeed complains about chunk 009 being truncated/incomplete... is this an OSX thing?

Unsure... I only use Windoze for this sorta stuff... OS X can be a pain in the backside...

But you can try unpacking it with the password in OS X... then go for the Windoze option if that doesn't work...

xROTx

PS. Pop into chat or drop me a PM... it's all good for you...

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior

Hi Massi, as a long time Mac user, I strongly suggest you to use Keka to compress/decompress stuff on Mac. http://www.kekaosx.com

I've tried countless other softwares and they always end up giving me headaches.
Keka has yet to fail me once. If it fails, then the archive is corrupted (either a problem while downloading or a problem in the archive itself)

EDIT: also, JDownloader2 is a great download manager with integrated CRC check to verify downloaded stuff. It comes really handy sometimes.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi Massi, as a long time Mac user, I strongly suggest you to use Keka to compress/decompress stuff on Mac. http://www.kekaosx.com

I've tried countless other softwares and they always end up giving me headaches.
Keka has yet to fail me once. If it fails, then the archive is corrupted (either a problem while downloading or a problem in the archive itself)

EDIT: also, JDownloader2 is a great download manager with integrated CRC check to verify downloaded stuff. It comes really handy sometimes.

It would be nice to put the checksum (SHA1 for instance, or MD5) of the file so one can be sure it downloaded correctly.

glitch77

New Challenger
Just got my NeoSD MVS in, and popped it into my 6-slot. Long story short, the NeoSD menu will load up just fine (if it is a cold boot, or if I hold A+D+Start), but once a game is flashed (I have tried about 20 games of all ages/sizes), it gives an Illegal Instruction error from Unibios 3.3 and hangs until I reset it with the C button.

Sometimes the game will begin to boot (shows the "100 Mega Shock, or similar boot screen), then the game resets and begins to boot again after a few seconds.

EDIT: Added video!

EDIT2: Things I have tried:

Placing the NeoSD in all 6 slots alone.
Filling all slots with working carts, and the NeoSD.
Changing Unibios region/system.
Changing settings within NeoSD (arcade, nvram, etc)

Any ideas / what info can I provide to help diagnose the issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
Just got my NeoSD MVS in, and popped it into my 6-slot. Long story short, the NeoSD menu will load up just fine (if it is a cold boot, or if I hold A+D+Start), but once a game is flashed (I have tried about 20 games of all ages/sizes), it gives an Illegal Instruction error from Unibios 3.3 and hangs until I reset it with the C button.

Sometimes the game will begin to boot (shows the "100 Mega Shock, or similar boot screen), then the game resets and begins to boot again after a few seconds.

EDIT: Added video!

EDIT2: Things I have tried:

Placing the NeoSD in all 6 slots alone.
Filling all slots with working carts, and the NeoSD.
Changing Unibios region/system.
Changing settings within NeoSD (arcade, nvram, etc)

Any ideas / what info can I provide to help diagnose the issue?

Thanks!

Hello

There a few things yo can try to help us diagnose the problem:

First, check that you have at least 4.9V measuring the voltage in your jamma connector.

Go to options screen->version and let us know which version you have (should be 1.05)

While you are there, enable arcade mode, exit the options screen, turn the board off and remove the card, check if it works that way. If it's fixed this way, maybe you have a similar issue than greatfunky, and we have a firmware that you can try, drop us an email with your serial number.

glitch77

New Challenger
Hello

There a few things yo can try to help us diagnose the problem:

First, check that you have at least 4.9V measuring the voltage in your jamma connector.

Go to options screen->version and let us know which version you have (should be 1.05)

While you are there, enable arcade mode, exit the options screen, turn the board off and remove the card, check if it works that way. If it's fixed this way, maybe you have a similar issue than greatfunky, and we have a firmware that you can try, drop us an email with your serial number.

I have attached a new video to show the voltage being tested while the 6-slot is on and working, looks to be at 4.98vdc.

Arcade Mode: Yes

MCU Version: 1.05 R05
68K Version 1.03
PROG Version: 1D2F
CHA Version: BDC4

I am emailing you my serial at your yahoo.es account.