NEOSD MVS Support thread !

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Did you flash the game after updating to 1.06? Jukebox needs the game to be flashed with 1.06, as it writes important data that jukebox uses. If it's still not working, which game are you using?

Thanks for the quick help. It seems I had not flashed the game with the new firmware. After doing that, it works fine.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Firstly, great job on the firmware update. The old issues I've been having are [so far, fingers crossed] nowhere to be seen. I am, however, having an issue with the jukebox. I followed instructions closely, and I do get track lists and I am able to select them, but once I press "A" to play, nothing happens. The sound does work in-game, so this is not a connection or cable issue. Tried it with a couple of games, but no dice. I did use the english list files, I did put them in a proper folder, and like I said, the track lists are displaying. I can browse through them and select them. The small triangle marking the track being played appears, but I get no sound.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Firstly, great job on the firmware update. The old issues I've been having are [so far, fingers crossed] nowhere to be seen. I am, however, having an issue with the jukebox. I followed instructions closely, and I do get track lists and I am able to select them, but once I press "A" to play, nothing happens. The sound does work in-game, so this is not a connection or cable issue. Tried it with a couple of games, but no dice. I did use the english list files, I did put them in a proper folder, and like I said, the track lists are displaying. I can browse through them and select them. The small triangle marking the track being played appears, but I get no sound.

Can you check if you have UI sounds on or off in the options menu? if you have it set to off, try setting to On and try jukebox again.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
That did it. Turning off UI sounds was the first thing I did when I got the cartridge and I never thought of it again. Haha. Making the setting independent of the jukebox is probably a good idea for the next firmware update. Also, when you hold up or down, you start scrolling through the titles, but holding left or right doesn't scroll through the pages. Page scrolling is another thing I'd like to see, especially now, with jukebox support. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Ok, so here's something I've noticed right off the bat. Some lists contain tunes as well as sound effects. Playing a tune and then a sound effect [which ironically can also be a tune in and of itself] does not stop the first track or sound from playing. Some sound effects seem to be looped as well, which forces me to exit to the main menu and go back again, because everything is playing at the same time, creating an unpleasant cacophony. Adding a hard stop for the previous track or sound as soon as the next one is played should be added.

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
That did it. Turning off UI sounds was the first thing I did when I got the cartridge and I never thought of it again. Haha. Making the setting independent of the jukebox is probably a good idea for the next firmware update. Also, when you hold up or down, you start scrolling through the titles, but holding left or right doesn't scroll through the pages. Page scrolling is another thing I'd like to see, especially now, with jukebox support. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Ok, so here's something I've noticed right off the bat. Some lists contain tunes as well as sound effects. Playing a tune and then a sound effect [which ironically can also be a tune in and of itself] does not stop the first track or sound from playing. Some sound effects seem to be looped as well, which forces me to exit to the main menu and go back again, because everything is playing at the same time, creating an unpleasant cacophony. Adding a hard stop for the previous track or sound as soon as the next one is played should be added.

That very much depends on the sound program, Jukebox just sends the sound codes, and it's up to the program to stop the current one and play a new one of just play both. You are right about stopping a sound, there is currently no way. I might add the C button to stop the current sound in the next firmware.

Dan Hero

n00b
Hi, my MVS NEO SD arrived last week and everything looks allright. I've got two questions, though.

1) Does NEO SD need a microsd on its own? Right now I'm using a class 10 sandisk microsd. It's a 32 Gb version, I use it even for other romset (eg GBA/GBC/Sufami everdrive) and since there's plenty of space I'm using it for the Neo Geo Romset. Just to know.
2) I tried many games, but Fatal Fury 2 is the only one that freezes after a while, with Unibios resulting in a Illegal Instruction Error. Is it a known issue or it's my rom somehow faulty? Do I have to download a new rom? I even checked the whole romset with neovalidator, but everything looked ok.

Thank you!

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Does NEO SD need a microsd on its own? Right now I'm using a class 10 sandisk microsd. It's a 32 Gb version, I use it even for other romset (eg GBA/GBC/Sufami everdrive) and since there's plenty of space I'm using it for the Neo Geo Romset. Just to know.

It will work just fine, and the last game you flashed stays in the memory even if you take the microSD out completely.

I tried many games, but Fatal Fury 2 is the only one that freezes after a while, with Unibios resulting in a Illegal Instruction Error. Is it a known issue or it's my rom somehow faulty? Do I have to download a new rom? I even checked the whole romset with neovalidator, but everything looked ok.

What are the conditions for this to happen? Will it freeze if you just leave it on attract mode, or do you have to play? Also, I've noticed that crashes can happen when using cheat codes. If you're using cheats, try playing without them to see if the game will crash. Also, neodev always suggests trying to run the game without the micoSD inserted, to see if that removes the problem.

Last edited:

Dan Hero

n00b
Hi Morden, and thank you for the answer. The illegal error occours while playing (haven't tried to wait for it in the attract mode) and I used no cheats. I'll try to play again later without the microsd. I'll try to download the rom from a new source too, since I looked for the issue online and it seems that I'm the only one experiencing it.

Dan Hero

n00b
Ok.

1) Tried to wait in attract mode -> error pops out.
2) Tried to start NEO SD without the microSD -> error pops out (sigh!).
3) Downloaded the game again, this time from edge emulation (the version from emuparadise was flagged as faulty by Neobuilder) -> damn error pops out while playing, but not during attract mode, I left the game in attract mode for almost an hour without problems.

What does it mean? Am I the one with this problem. If my card is faulty, please be extra gentle while telling it to me, my heart couldn't take it :D

Ah, by the way this is the error https://ibb.co/jiuLfQ

EDIT: Ok, I want to rule out every option: is there a "proper" romset to use with NEO SD? I've tried many other games, and someone (e.g. Ragnagard) report similar errors. I wanto to believe that my romset is old and dirty. I need to believe it :D

Last edited:

Jato

n00b
Rot the link says you need to create a account and pay to get these files is there some other place to put them so this is not an issue ? Best regards, Jato

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Rot the link says you need to create a account and pay to get these files is there some other place to put them so this is not an issue ? Best regards, Jato

The reason why the links are only valid for 30 days is this:

1. The files aren't mine... and io is the only site that offers an anonymous file upload for that size...
2. After 30 days... they die... which means it's limited and will die... This makes me happy...
3. I'm a Mod... and the ONLY reason i have done this is because it stops me banning half our memberbase when they start asking about teh Romz...

The link in post 44 will be renewed within the next 24 hours... I will be in chat...

xROTx

xterc

n00b
Did anyone who received their NeoSD MVS in the US order it from StoneAgeGamer? They do have a note regarding the fact it is back ordered, but this hasn't been updated in a while.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I ordered mine from Stone Age Gamer and received it, but I bought it before it went out of stock.

xterc

n00b
I spoke to soon, it shipped today. Thank you for your response though.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hello, I think I have an issue with Magician Lord (firmware 1.06 on a 4 slot), basically there is no sound :(

Previously I mentioned that few games ended without sound after flashing but in some case I got the sound after re-flashing, this one is consistent though, I removed UI sounds, tried to re-position the cart...pretty much all things but seems an issue with this game (possibly others)

Any advice? Thanks!

Ps.

I have to check 100% but League Bowling and Cyber-Lip seems having the same issue.. could be related to the way early games handle sound?

neodev

Neosd Tech
Hello, I think I have an issue with Magician Lord (firmware 1.06 on a 4 slot), basically there is no sound :(

Previously I mentioned that few games ended without sound after flashing but in some case I got the sound after re-flashing, this one is consistent though, I removed UI sounds, tried to re-position the cart...pretty much all things but seems an issue with this game (possibly others)

Any advice? Thanks!

Ps.

I have to check 100% but League Bowling and Cyber-Lip seems having the same issue.. could be related to the way early games handle sound?

That seems to be related to the sound program. I'll take a look. Maybe the sould program is one of the first one and had some issues with 4slots and it's worse due to the way neosd resets the board.

xterc

n00b
After a mix-up with the post office, my NeoSD arrived on 8/9 (the post office lied about it being delivered). StoneAgeGamer was very responsive to my emails and everything worked out in the end. The cart itself is great, it does exactly what it says on the box. I did initially plug it in backwards, but after looking at the cart pins and posts on this forum, it was obvious where I was going wrong. It is great that the board is reversible, so I ended up flipping the internals over.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Did anyone who received their NeoSD MVS in the US order it from StoneAgeGamer? They do have a note regarding the fact it is back ordered, but this hasn't been updated in a while.

I spoke to soon, it shipped today. Thank you for your response though.

After a mix-up with the post office, my NeoSD arrived on 8/9 (the post office lied about it being delivered). StoneAgeGamer was very responsive to my emails and everything worked out in the end. The cart itself is great, it does exactly what it says on the box. I did initially plug it in backwards, but after looking at the cart pins and posts on this forum, it was obvious where I was going wrong. It is great that the board is reversible, so I ended up flipping the internals over.

This is a NEOSD MVS support thread. These kind of posts would be more suited to http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?268514-MVS-amp-AES-NEOSD-flash-card-AES-Version-ANNOUNCED-amp-AVAILABLE!!/page122

neodev

Neosd Tech
thanks, let me know if I can be of any help!

Hello

Sorry for the late answer, I was on holidays :)

I've just tried in a 4 slot and magician lord worked fine. I'm using a stock bios so, can you try if enabling the hardware checks fixes the issue?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hello

Sorry for the late answer, I was on holidays :)

I've just tried in a 4 slot and magician lord worked fine. I'm using a stock bios so, can you try if enabling the hardware checks fixes the issue?

Hi, thanks for your reply, I had a look in the NeoSD menu but...how can enable hardware check? :)
Btw, I'm using Unibios 3.3!

neodev

Neosd Tech
Hi, thanks for your reply, I had a look in the NeoSD menu but...how can enable hardware check? :)
Btw, I'm using Unibios 3.3!

You can enable it in the unibios options screen (the one that appears when you boot with the a+b+c buttons pressed.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
You can enable it in the unibios options screen (the one that appears when you boot with the a+b+c buttons pressed.

Oh gotcha-gotcha, initially i thought you meant a neosd feature ...I"ll trigger the unibios menu and let you know!