NEOSD MVS Support thread !

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Send us an email with all the relevant info: serial number, hardware details, what you were doing when this happened and etc. More than likely we can do a forced firmware flash to resolve this.

support (at) terraonion.com

manic23

n00b
Send us an email with all the relevant info: serial number, hardware details, what you were doing when this happened and etc. More than likely we can do a forced firmware flash to resolve this.

support (at) terraonion.com

Thanks, just done that

neodev

Neosd Tech
I have a nasty feeling that I bricked my NeoSD AES, as when I turn it on I get this, I have a sneeky feeling I turned off the unit before the flashing had finished as I thought that it was not on. Could someone please let me know the procedure to flash the firmware if this happens?

View attachment 53157

Go to your SD card, and find the firmware file, it will be XXXXXXXX_update (XXXXXX is your serial number), replace _update with _forced, so it's XXXXXXXX_forced , place the SD back into the neosd, and power your AES. It boot to the blue screen, just let it stay for 1 minute or so, and it should reboot itself with the firmware rewritten.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Go to your SD card, and find the firmware file, it will be XXXXXXXX_update (XXXXXX is your serial number), replace _update with _forced, so it's XXXXXXXX_forced , place the SD back into the neosd, and power your AES. It boot to the blue screen, just let it stay for 1 minute or so, and it should reboot itself with the firmware rewritten.

It would be very very nice if there was a page on your website that contains all this information or an up-to-date quick start guide in the download section ... or maybe just a guide with all the "special" files on the SD card and what they do to help in self-correcting some of the things we may stumble on.

It's impressive all the safety features you embedded in the product, truly outstanding, it's juts a bit of a pity they are not documented that well.

manic23

n00b
It would be very very nice if there was a page on your website that contains all this information or an up-to-date quick start guide in the download section ... or maybe just a guide with all the "special" files on the SD card and what they do to help in self-correcting some of the things we may stumble on.

It's impressive all the safety features you embedded in the product, truly outstanding, it's juts a bit of a pity they are not documented that well.

I must say I have to agree with this, I went on line to search how to un-brick a NeoSD and didn't find anything, seeing as the process is so easy to do it really should be on your web page under FAQ or the support section.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I must say I have to agree with this, I went on line to search how to un-brick a NeoSD and didn't find anything, seeing as the process is so easy to do it really should be on your web page under FAQ or the support section.

That's on my to-do list.

I want to flesh out some troubleshooting documents for both NEOSD and SSDS3.

Starcat

n00b
Hey everyone,
I'm having a strange problem with my NeoSD. I'm running on a MVS-1 board with Unibios. Regular carts work fine.
I haven't used my NeoSD for a few months, but now whenever I try to flash a game, the erasing message appears then the systems keeps resetting quickly for many times. Ultimately I end up on the cross hatch test screen.
This didn't happen to me before, but now it happens all the time, no matter what game I try to flash.

Does anybody else have this problem? If so what can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
Do you have an additional power supply you can test with? It seems like the flashing step is rather power hungry. Perhaps your power supply doesn't have quite enough power (so to speak).

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Hey everyone,
I'm having a strange problem with my NeoSD. I'm running on a MVS-1 board with Unibios. Regular carts work fine.
I haven't used my NeoSD for a few months, but now whenever I try to flash a game, the erasing message appears then the systems keeps resetting quickly for many times. Ultimately I end up on the cross hatch test screen.
This didn't happen to me before, but now it happens all the time, no matter what game I try to flash.

Does anybody else have this problem? If so what can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Check your voltage at the Jamma edge, make sure you have a strong 5 volts.

Starcat

n00b
I tried a different MVS-1 board, no change.
Hmm, I have stable 5V and I'm using a new high quality PC power supply.
Despite the reset issue the game is somehow flashed in the end.

In general I noticed the flashed game to be unstable at first. There is slight pixel jittering in graphics, especially noticable in on screen status display. Regular crashes, too.
After keeping the system run for a while it gets better.
This is happening with two different boards. No original carts have shown similar problems.
So not sure why this "warmup" phase may be needed or what I can do to improve it.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Clean your cart edges up, clean the slots up, solder the main crystal on the MVS can to the ground strap (if there is one), and re-try it. I do know that both of these things affect the cart on my MV1FZ boards.

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
For what it's worth, (I use the AES version), I would get similar pixel shimmering and garbage using my original OEM PS on the initial flash. A reset would usually resolve it. I ended up purchasing a modern higher amp PS, and this has no longer been an issue (again, AES, apples to oranges).

For your issue, can you confirm the available amperage on the 5V rail? I'm not an MVS expert by any stretch, but believe that newer PC power supplies have a significantly reduced amperage on the 5V (modern PS traded higher amperage for the 12V rail, it seems). I would think, there should be a minimum of 15A on the 5V, on a modern PC PS.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
PC is mostly 12V but 5V will still have a huge amount of current available. I'd be more worried about not being able to fine tune the voltage output of the 5V rail and it is likely the output is falling/rising out of spec.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The link in post 44 is DEAD....

The stuff is widely available... if you know where to look...

xROTx

PS. I am in chat....

rivlez

n00b
Just got my NeoSD MVS and I can’t get a single game to work. They all get stuck on flashing. Any ideas?

I’m using a Time Harvest CMVS and it has Unibios 3.3. My 161-in-1 works fine.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Just got my NeoSD MVS and I can’t get a single game to work. They all get stuck on flashing. Any ideas?

I’m using a Time Harvest CMVS and it has Unibios 3.3. My 161-in-1 works fine.

Have you converted them using the tool?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
So I've been putting this off for ages and figure it's about time to get this fixed.

Bought a NeoSD MVS right around launch and it hasn't worked since day one. I reached out for support and got an updated firmware but that didn't fix the issue and I just never got back around to addressing it as I had bigger fish to fry at the time.

Anyway, I have the correct rom set (from post 44), my 5v line is fine. I've tried three different cabinets, three different MVS mobos (two 1Fs and one 1FZ).... all of which play the rest of my carts without issue.

Games will load up but then constantly reset or Unibios will throw an error within 90 seconds to 5 minutes of being on. Tried several different games but larger games tend to do it more quickly. I'm happy to provide pictures, video, serial numbers, whatever is needed.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I guess the next step is hitting the official website?

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
Hi there, I'm having a similar problem to 100proof. I've had a neo sd for two years and has worked fine on my consolized mvs. I recently bought a cab with an older 1 slot ( the longer type with metal cart insert). All games either crash or throw out an error. Some older games work better/longer but more recent stuff fails straight away. Is there a fix for this issue? Thanks

cyd

New Challenger
Troubleshooting 101: clean all connections, get a multimeter, check voltages.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Hi there, I'm having a similar problem to 100proof. I've had a neo sd for two years and has worked fine on my consolized mvs. I recently bought a cab with an older 1 slot ( the longer type with metal cart insert). All games either crash or throw out an error. Some older games work better/longer but more recent stuff fails straight away. Is there a fix for this issue? Thanks

Like Cyd says, Clean all the contacts first and check your 5v.

Nearly every cartridge and board I have ever owned needed cleaning (except those brought new obv!)

And the neo sd uses a bit more juice than a standard cart.