NEOSD MVS Support thread !

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
No worries, Rot.

We love your complete ass.

LDigital

n00b
My MVS cart arrived today and it's great but I have a few issues. It seems to crash and reset randomly. On the few games I have tried. I have been using the pre converted pack that someone high up helped with.

Blazing star was one of the games that crashed during its intro. I did a crc check and it came back as NG

My system is a 1fz

3db28ec7dd46c6971ae9e70fa9493ab9.jpg

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks

neodev

Neosd Tech
My MVS cart arrived today and it's great but I have a few issues. It seems to crash and reset randomly. On the few games I have tried. I have been using the pre converted pack that someone high up helped with.

Blazing star was one of the games that crashed during its intro. I did a crc check and it came back as NG

My system is a 1fz

Thanks

Please, send us an email to contact@neosdstore with your serial number, we have an improved firmware that fixes some of those issues in some boards and it might be fix it for you.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot

My system is a 1fz

Thanks

As well as engaging with the neosd team - you might want to consider checking if the crystal on your 1FZ is grounded correctly - often they have had glue knocked off and the ground strap over the crystal is floating. Sometimes they don't even have a ground strap over the crystal. All of the 1FZ I tested here at the time exhibited CRC issues until I grounded the crystal cans. I even went as far as to remove the ground connection strap which re-introduced my CRC issues, then joined up again and problems gone away. Might not be relevent to your problem, but something to consider. I've not had clock jitter issues with 4 slot and other 1 slot boards though.

LDigital

n00b
Thanks Gadget. I saw your vid too. I'll double check that

Email sent to Neo also Thanks

Last edited:
So this may be a stupid question, but should the NeoSD MVS work on an MVS that has a Backup Ram Region error on boot?

I'm asking because I received the NeoSD MVS today only to find out that my consolized MV-1FZ that I intended to use with the cart has apparently died on the shelf.

So I tried it in my Analogue CMVS that's been f*cked up (Backup Ram Region 00000010 error) since day one that they couldn't/wouldn't repair properly but still generally works with most carts (including the 161in1) if you force AES mode/bypass. No joy on booting the NeoSD MVS though :(

EDIT: It's working! also DOH!

I made the assumption that the cart should go into the CMVS with the label facing me - this apparently is not the case. After opening the case and having a look at the boards and some other pics online I plugged it in 'backwards' and voila.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I made the assumption that the cart should go into the CMVS with the label facing me - this apparently is not the case. After opening the case and having a look at the boards and some other pics online I plugged it in 'backwards' and voila.
If the position of the label is bothering you: just open the cart up and turn the boards around ;)

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If the position of the label is bothering you: just open the cart up and turn the boards around ;)

Looking at an original MVS cart, I do not understand how boards can be put backwards inside the shell to turn the label, and I have not found any close-up pics of the shells used on the neosd (obvious reasons i guess). for sure this is not possible with original shells.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Looking at an original MVS cart, I do not understand how boards can be put backwards inside the shell to turn the label, and I have not found any close-up pics of the shells used on the neosd (obvious reasons i guess). for sure this is not possible with original shells.
It was posted in the long ass thread ;)
[1, 2]

Yep, that's exactly what I did after figuring it out :) Note to anyone looking at this for reference - the microsd slot is on the left side of the cart now...

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Just got my NeoSD MVS in, and popped it into my 6-slot. Long story short, the NeoSD menu will load up just fine (if it is a cold boot, or if I hold A+D+Start), but once a game is flashed (I have tried about 20 games of all ages/sizes), it gives an Illegal Instruction error from Unibios 3.3 and hangs until I reset it with the C button.

Sometimes the game will begin to boot (shows the "100 Mega Shock, or similar boot screen), then the game resets and begins to boot again after a few seconds.

EDIT: Added video!

EDIT2: Things I have tried:

Placing the NeoSD in all 6 slots alone.
Filling all slots with working carts, and the NeoSD.
Changing Unibios region/system.
Changing settings within NeoSD (arcade, nvram, etc)

Any ideas / what info can I provide to help diagnose the issue?

Thanks!
I get this too, in a 6-slot. Continual reboot usually at NeoGeo startup screen stage. I guess I need that firmware too (will send an email to NeoSD)?

neodev

Neosd Tech
I get this too, in a 6-slot. Continual reboot usually at NeoGeo startup screen stage. I guess I need that firmware too (will send an email to NeoSD)?

Yes, send us an email with your serial number, the firmware should fix your issues with the 6 slot

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Thanks for the address :)

I have tried the recovery password this morning, it said it sent me an email. I have yet to receive it though and tells me I have to wait 24 hours until retry.
I had the same problem- the NeoSD password recovery doesn't work.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Yes, send us an email with your serial number, the firmware should fix your issues with the 6 slot
As I can't access your website support page, what are the instructions re how to update firmware (when you've emailed file)? Thanks.

neosd

Neosd Developer
As I can't access your website support page, what are the instructions re how to update firmware (when you've emailed file)? Thanks.

Hello,

We distribute only retail firmware updates by downloads section.

Beta/test firmware updates are sent by email. So if you got an issue, send us an emaill describing your issue, telling us your board model, your neosd serial number and will answer your back w

Thanks

Pinball

Kula's Candy
neosd has been very helpful. I added the firmware to root of SD card. Initially worked then rebooting again. Might be the 6 slot (voltage issues etc) so I'll check the voltage tomorrow as neosd advised. If necessary I can use a 1 slot NG board instead, as thankfully I have several boards.

The 161 in 1 multicart works fine, so this is puzzling. More power draw from NeoSD cart is what neosd suggested as the cause.

Does this rebooting issue only happen with 6 slots? Anyone else having problems?

Pinball

Kula's Candy
As well as engaging with the neosd team - you might want to consider checking if the crystal on your 1FZ is grounded correctly - often they have had glue knocked off and the ground strap over the crystal is floating. Sometimes they don't even have a ground strap over the crystal. All of the 1FZ I tested here at the time exhibited CRC issues until I grounded the crystal cans. I even went as far as to remove the ground connection strap which re-introduced my CRC issues, then joined up again and problems gone away. Might not be relevent to your problem, but something to consider. I've not had clock jitter issues with 4 slot and other 1 slot boards though.
I have a loose ground wire in the cab which presumably should attach to the 6 slot board. Please could you advise exactly where it should connect on the board?? Sounds like this might solve the problem :-)

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The ground wire (just check it is a ground wire before you connect it to anything) - probably best to connect it to pin 1 or pin 28 (one of the edge pins) on the JAMMA connector. Measure your 5v line whilst its powered, if it drops below say 4.85v it could be your PSU (try and aim for just over 5v ~5.10v). Also note - I recently discovered that the carts can be a bit more sensitive to dirty slots too - so make sure the slot and PCB edges are nice and clean.

EDIT: If it's the chasis ground you might want to connect that to the earth terminal. Where exactly is this 'ground wire' connected on the cabinet?

Last edited:

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Regarding the repeated rebooting issue-

I checked the voltage at pins 3 & 4 (vs ground pins 1 & 2) with loom connected to 6-slot NG board, and the NeoSD cart inserted and in use i.e. under load. Initially it was +4.77VDC (5.00V with edge connector removed & no load). Repeated rebooting was occurring.

I then progressively increased PSU voltage. When the voltage (loaded) was 5.00V there was still rebooting (less frequent). At 5.2V everything is fine and no rebooting during 1 hour of play, so problem solved :-) Interestingly this was the highest voltage I could get from the external regulator dial (Hantarex 250 US PSU).

Incidentally I previously tried NeoSD in 3 NG boards and rebooting occurred in all, so it was definitely PSU voltage and not NG boards at fault. The frequency of rebooting increased as the voltage was lowered, and the NeoSD wouldn't boot at all at 4.6V, so it seems very sensitive to voltage.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
The ground wire (just check it is a ground wire before you connect it to anything) - probably best to connect it to pin 1 or pin 28 (one of the edge pins) on the JAMMA connector. Measure your 5v line whilst its powered, if it drops below say 4.85v it could be your PSU (try and aim for just over 5v ~5.10v). Also note - I recently discovered that the carts can be a bit more sensitive to dirty slots too - so make sure the slot and PCB edges are nice and clean.

EDIT: If it's the chasis ground you might want to connect that to the earth terminal. Where exactly is this 'ground wire' connected on the cabinet?
The 'loose' ground connector is attached to the JAMMA loom, which is why I assumed it should connect to the NG board (which was previously removed). I can't see where the other end goes, but will have a closer look! Thankfully it's not the cause of the NeoSD issue I had.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Regarding the repeated rebooting issue-

I checked the voltage at pins 3 & 4 (vs ground pins 1 & 2) with loom connected to 6-slot NG board, and the NeoSD cart inserted and in use i.e. under load. Initially it was +4.77VDC (5.00V with edge connector removed & no load). Repeated rebooting was occurring.

I then progressively increased PSU voltage. When the voltage (loaded) was 5.00V there was still rebooting (less frequent). At 5.2V everything is fine and no rebooting during 1 hour of play, so problem solved :-) Interestingly this was the highest voltage I could get from the external regulator dial (Hantarex 250 US PSU).

Incidentally I previously tried NeoSD in 3 NG boards and rebooting occurred in all, so it was definitely PSU voltage and not NG boards at fault. The frequency of rebooting increased as the voltage was lowered, and the NeoSD wouldn't boot at all at 4.6V, so it seems very sensitive to voltage.

It could also be your PSU not outputting a clean 5v - It should run stable at 5.0v Having said that, there will be voltage drop on the larger boards, so whilst your measuring 5.2v on the edge, it might only be getting 5v or just under on the other end of a 4 slot or 6 slot. So 5.2v is probably about right on larger boards. Glad you sorted it =D

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Be careful as there might also be a problem on your PSU, as Gadget already stated.
You said you cranked the potentiometer on the PSU to the max to squeeze 5.2V, but that might fluctuate and go onto (much?) higher voltages and damage your board (although MVS boards generally don't have issues up to 5.5V)

A recap might be due, just to be sure, along with a replacement pot for the voltage trim.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Be careful as there might also be a problem on your PSU, as Gadget already stated.
You said you cranked the potentiometer on the PSU to the max to squeeze 5.2V, but that might fluctuate and go onto (much?) higher voltages and damage your board (although MVS boards generally don't have issues up to 5.5V)

A recap might be due, just to be sure, along with a replacement pot for the voltage trim.

The NeoSD boards have internal regulators to generate the required (lower) voltages but it needs at least around 4.7V to operate several parts, so 4.7V is the minimum required voltage. The regulators will allow higher than 5.5V voltages, but then risk is frying the main MVS board