NEOSD MVS Support thread !

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Copied and pasted from a FB thread i made

Hey guys, can you help me with this. I have a NeoSD which has worked fine on my Neo29 cab. Went to a meet up with my neosd and sg. When i boot up the cart it wouldnt let me go to the game selection screen.Even with the manual reset. So we didnt get to play anything besides Karnovs Revenge, which isnt a bad thing necessarily. Thought i messed up on a menu option so i changed the name of a folder that causes it to boot up to the game selection screen. Forget what exactly i changed but it fixed it.
Now i stick it in to my 2 slot big red and im getting the same issue. Do i have to go through this every time i switch cabs/sg's?
What gives?

neodev

Neosd Tech
When you can enter the menu (just delete lastgame.cfg from the sd and it will automatically enter there on boot), check in the options menu if you have arcade mode enabled and disable it. If neosd fails to detect a sd card inserted, it won't let you enter the menu.
Also remember that in a multi slot board, the 'hold start while booting' to enter the neosd menu only works when the neosd slot is first selected by the bios so you might need to hold start and hit the slot switch button a few times for it to work.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi,

Is there known issues between MV4FS and NeoSD?
I do not have an OEM bios to test with but tested with Unibios 3.3 & 4 so I am not sure if this post should land in the Unibios thread instead.
Anyway there is an "Exception Error Handling" after I launch the game. I can access the NeoSD menu, erase/flash a rom w/o issues.
The 4 slots works well with original carts.
Not a major issue for me since I mostly run the NeoSD thru a MV1-B but I'd still be interested to fix it.
Thanks for the help

IMAG0920.jpg

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
There is one known issue I made neodev aware of a week or so ago. No idea if that is related to the issue from your picture though.

cyd

New Challenger
Your backup battery is dead or the backup ram needs to be cleared or both.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
exception error could be down to compatibility/support issues. (program failed to execute)
if the rom passes CRC32 checkum verifications, it's fine, just down to the devs to account for it's support.
do a hash check of the dump, if it passes 100%, it down to the devs to account for compatibility.
if the rom dump FAILS crc, it's one such answer, use the original/no-intro dump that matches verification tables. :D

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks Raz, I'll wait for the devs to see if they can provide a solution.

- The battery still retains the settings
- Did the backup ram clearing
- None of the roms loaded thru the NeoSD cleared the CRC check in the Unibios. I get double question mark instead of "OK". Could be due to the format of the rom.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
They will probably want more information like what game you had flashed when the error you posted happened etc. Also, why you you have it in SLOT2 and not SLOT1?

Raz

neodev

Neosd Tech
Thanks Raz, I'll wait for the devs to see if they can provide a solution.

- The battery still retains the settings
- Did the backup ram clearing
- None of the roms loaded thru the NeoSD cleared the CRC check in the Unibios. I get double question mark instead of "OK". Could be due to the format of the rom.

So, the same cart and games work on a mv1b and doesn't on the mv4 ? The issue Raz mentions only happens with some combinations of flashed game and original cart in another slot, so I don't think that applies here.

I suppose the ?? Instead of OK or NG means that unibios is not recognizing the game

daveg1

n00b
Hi peeps, so I just ordered a Neosd and I seen on a youtube video the tools can be a bit funny about which rom you use,

just seeing if anyone out there with a full working rom set could drop me a pm with a link etc please,,

thank you davey..

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I suppose the ?? Instead of OK or NG means that unibios is not recognizing the game

Yea, normally that would indicate the NGH found is not in the database.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I've tried with different roms and from each slot (1 to 4). All other slots remained empty.
I use the rom set from post #44.

My PSU could be the problem here. Voltage measured at the Jamma edge connector 4.63v. I'll try with another PSU when possible.

If that's the case then sorry for the false alarm

https://imgur.com/htTgLpL

neodev

Neosd Tech
I've tried with different roms and from each slot (1 to 4). All other slots remained empty.
I use the rom set from post #44.

My PSU could be the problem here. Voltage measured at the Jamma edge connector 4.63v. I'll try with another PSU when possible.

If that's the case then sorry for the false alarm

https://imgur.com/htTgLpL

That voltage is a bit low. I always have to raise my psu voltage a bit when plugging the 4 slots (and the mv1), they are very power hungry. For neosd, the safe zone is 4.8 and above

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
That voltage is a bit low. I always have to raise my psu voltage a bit when plugging the 4 slots (and the mv1), they are very power hungry. For neosd, the safe zone is 4.8 and above

I have been able to do another test with a proper PSU and ensured the voltage at the jamma connector has a stable +5v.
The error still appears with any roms I flash but this time I can acknowledge and skip by pressing C button then get into the game.
It is kinda weird but it works.

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
not sure if anyone else has this issue but when my Neo SD is flashing it makes a high pitched squealing noise, what could this be, is this normal?

Hi peeps, so I just ordered a Neosd and I seen on a youtube video the tools can be a bit funny about which rom you use,

just seeing if anyone out there with a full working rom set could drop me a pm with a link etc please,,

thank you davey..

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

yes could someone drop me a pm with a link too pls - ive compiled all 259 but i think i have a couple that dont play correctly

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
you know some ppl have alot more shit to do than to set and read through countless irrelevant comments - irrelevant to me but not necessarily irrelevant to everyone :-)

it woulda been alot easier to just "#44" then the rest of the ass you typed

Reading those threads... gives you a feel of the place...

You wanna fit in? Then read shit... because it's gonna help you here...

You DON'T wanna fit in... then keep posting the way you are...

You JUST joined... If ya' wanna get all high and mighty think on this... THIS website has been here a LONG time...

We are the so called "pinnacle" of retro gaming and you are a fuckin' nobody here...

xROTx

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
you know some ppl have alot more shit to do than to set and read through countless irrelevant comments - irrelevant to me but not necessarily irrelevant to everyone :-)

And a lot of people have alot more shit to do than spoonfeed people we don't know.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
'Self Control Me'

Self Control you don't seem to have but the 'Me' on the end suggests we all do that for you so read the fucking thread.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Ok I just downloaded the images from post #44 (thanks to Rot, this saved me a LOT of time). I'm currently trying to clear out all the stuff I don't need in order to shrink everything down to fit on an 8GB card (the collection is a little over 10GB at the moment). Am I correct in assuming these naming conventions with respect to the last letter?

H = Hack
B = Bad Dump
BL = Bootleg
K = Korean
P = Prototype
A= Alternate rom

Also, is there a list somewhere of what all these hacked roms do? I found some info on the SvC and KoF hacks, but there are others (like tophuntrh) that I have no idea what they do.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Just get a 16 gig card and you can fit everything instead of wasting time digging through things. You can then just make a favorites list and that's all you'll see on the list.