NEOSD MVS Support thread !

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Thanks Rot - yes I was being dumb for not seeing that link! Doh! That will certainly be easier than messing around with the tool for now.

I did spot what might be a bug though - I flashed Pochi & Nyaa and I've those graphical noise lines I mentioned, they come back if I go into the Neo SD menu then chose to start the loaded game. If I power off an on they then disappear, so it would appear to be something to do with having gone into the menu before loading the game from a cold start.

I would suggest waiting for the stuff to come down... and THEN talk about bugs...

The linkie is providing a fully validated set... SO... unless you know for sure that you have the perfect poch and nyaa... and you're SURE your tool is working on your setup...

Then i'd wait before declaring bugs...

xROTx

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
If your getting crc32 errors then its clear the sets your trying to convert are bad in one form or another. This is why its important it does not create .neos with bad data. This only applies to MAME sets of course if you still want to create sets you can use the generic option.

Mikekim

n00b
Thanks Rot - yes I was being dumb for not seeing that link! Doh! That will certainly be easier than messing around with the tool for now.

I did spot what might be a bug though - I flashed Pochi & Nyaa and I've got those graphical noise lines I mentioned, they come back if I go into the Neo SD menu then chose to start the loaded game. If I power off an on they then disappear, so it would appear to be something to do with having gone into the menu before loading the game from a cold start.

EDIT: Confirmed, I can re-create that graphical glitch by doing what I described - flash N&P, start the game - little lines of pixels appear over sprites. Power system off and have it auto boot the game and the intefering pixels are gone.

just tried Pochi and Nyaa on mine and it works without any issues - might be a duff dump of the rom or could be some other underlying issue if the corruption disappears after a reboot

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I am not sure if its all coincidence with the cart not making a clean connection or not. I've captured some footage which I might upload later but after taking the cart out and cleaning it up it seems to have stopped happening. Previously I could on command get the lines to appear, just by going into the menu before loading the game. If I booted straight into the game the lines never appeared. I think its mostly likely the slot was dirty or something since I just re-tested a good dozen times and could get it to glitch again. Having one of those days today!!!

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
If your getting crc32 errors then its clear the sets your trying to convert are bad in one form or another. This is why its important it does not create .neos with bad data. This only applies to MAME sets of course if you still want to create sets you can use the generic option.

'generic option'??? Maybe I am missing a tool or something, I've not seen anything giving a generic option - that said the front end didn't work in Vista and I never tried it on Win 7 yet, is it another tool or an option for the command line or UI? I've got the neobuilder.exe which is what I was using to get P&N working - is there a switch or something for it?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Using the neobuilder via the command line you can build .neo files for games not in MAME. This is where the crc32 will be ignored. It should be explained in the readme.

neosd

Neosd Developer
GadgetUK

Could you tell us wich MVS model are you using ? , so we can try to replicate the issue you are having.
Thats weird cause our testers played every single game a lot of time and never reported an issue on this game.

Thanks

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
I was at first thinking about bad contact but now i read GadgetUK , i can confirm :
on a mv1fzs i have some little flickering horizontal after game loaded , then turn off /on and the game run fine .

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
greatfunky, Try reseating the neosd into the socket and make sure your mvs contacts are clean. That looks to have helped GadgetUK.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
I tried , but i can't tell for sure if its a bad contact or another issue because powering off/on resolve the problem without touching something else.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
If your issue is the same as what gadgetUk experianced then you can simply enter the UI and select launch current game and it should happen again.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
Just tested , and YES clearly confirmed : returning under UI then launching the current game make graphical noise.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
So now remove the NeoSD from the socket and make sure the MVS socket is clean, then reseat the NeoSD and see if the issue goes. Maybe its a case of the two NeoSD pcbs not being together properly also so try opening and putting them back together.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
OK tested now on a MV4F slot and work perfectly so the issue is with mv1fz (bad conctact or compatibility model !? ) ,
i also have a second mv1fz but very dusty , i'll clean tomorrow the both slots with air compressor and report the result .

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Good to know I am not going insane lol! I can live with it as is - If I cold boot theres no chance of the problem occuring it seems. Just about to test with more games in a few minutes!

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
GadgetUK

Could you tell us wich MVS model are you using ? , so we can try to replicate the issue you are having.
Thats weird cause our testers played every single game a lot of time and never reported an issue on this game.

Thanks

MV1FZ! After I cleaned the slot and PCB edges earlier I couldnt get it to repeat, so it might just have been a bad connection. I will know more in around 10 minutes, I've only tested with 1 game so far - the rest are being copied onto the SD card at the moment. Great product though =D

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I've only tested with 1 game so far - the rest are being copied onto the SD card at the moment.

I am gonna need feedback on that gadget... come chat to me when you can please....

xROTx

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Will pop onto chat in a minute! The problem (and it really is a minor problem) with the flickering short lines over sprites when running 'some' games after the menu loads is not always evident, it seems to happen on some games more than others, but for most games it never appears at all. I will video it tomorrow as part of my review, but it's nothing worth losing sleep over and seemingly at this stage only occurs on the MV1FZ and has a fix (just power off and on and chances are the lines are gone). The way it only appears when following the menu makes me think that perhaps its related something there, perhaps an MCU not put into sleep mode or running at a faster clock speed than it would when running from a cold boot or something like that? But to be clear - this is really really minor, it's not any reason for anyone to be concerned or put off buying one of these amazing carts! Cannot wait for the shell to arrive now =D

Also just wanted to say a special thanks to Rot, Raz and a few other people in chat today for helping me when I was having cat problems and neo sd problems all at once :P

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Will pop onto chat in a minute! The problem (and it really is a minor problem) with the flickering short lines over sprites when running 'some' games after the menu loads is not always evident, it seems to happen on some games more than others, but for most games it never appears at all. I will video it tomorrow as part of my review, but it's nothing worth losing sleep over and seemingly at this stage only occurs on the MV1FZ and has a fix (just power off and on and chances are the lines are gone).

Are you saying here that sometimes even after a cold boot the issue can be present? Or as a temp fix cold booting once after the UI is envolked will fix the issue 100% of the time (IE, not having to cold boot a couple of times in some cases)? This will be quite important for the makers to know when tracking down possible causes.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
I finally cleaned properly my both slots , the glitch issue is still there , i did a short video.

Take a look at the red columns on the top of the screen .

PS : sorry for the confusion : i'm talking about slot , i would mean MotherBoard .

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Ohh wow, I'm confused by your wording because a MV-1FZ does not have a 2nd slot? Did you mean a different MVS system? But if I understand you right, you can see the glitching sometimes even after power off and on? I can defo confirm in all of my testing I did not see anything like this at any time but i have a MV-1FS

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

Thanks for the video, from what we read, this issue is only present on MV1FZ board, is that correct ? does it happens with all games ? how you make it appear/dissapear ?

Also, does this issue appears when using MVS to AES converter on AES console ?

We are going to try to reproduce it next monday, so as much info as you can give us, this will be welcome, we think its something related with the menu from the info you have posted so far.

Thanks

I finally cleaned properly my both slots , the glitch issue is still there , i did a short video.

Last edited:

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?

Hey! I got that very same horizontal lines glitch in Bang Bang Busters on my MVS MV-1F. I got rid of it just by converting again a different .zip file from another source (I had to try several different ones, though).

I mean, maybe it's a romset problem...