NEOSD MVS Support thread !

neodev

Neosd Tech
Thanks, will do now!

EDIT: No problems with checksum on that game after about 10 checks.

EDIT2: Wow, I noticed last night that if you press SELECT + START in the menu, there's already an option to load and save backup RAM - I missed that in my review video the other day, I will cover that in the follow up video =D

That's because the firmware with the lines glitch fix contained some wip features. It shows if you press start when 'launch current game' is selected. You can also try holding the C button for some seconds. But there are WIP and some options don't work, or send you to test mode.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Just curious...

The firmware you guys did for the 1fz that fixed the glitches, was there anything related to sync /timer?

Cheers

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
neodev,i buyed mvs neosd and its working fine,my mvs arrived today,gona test more later.
but the aes version,is it a limited run or can i order it next year?
just readed in the other thread that it will sell as long as needed,so i answer my question myself.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
That's because the firmware with the lines glitch fix contained some wip features. It shows if you press start when 'launch current game' is selected. You can also try holding the C button for some seconds. But there are WIP and some options don't work, or send you to test mode.
Ah, OK - thanks! That makes sense! I thought I had missed something in the instructions lol. I have a tendency to jump in an play around with things and never read the instructions until I've exhausted my own experimentation. That will be a really sweet feature!

AMike

n00b
I've got my NeoSD and it works great with a 2 Slot board - thanks for that. :) As expected (and already mentioned) it does not work with the Neo MVS Convertor II (blue LED) on the AES. Is it possible to fix it with a firmware update?

neodev

Neosd Tech
I've got my NeoSD and it works great with a 2 Slot board - thanks for that. :) As expected (and already mentioned) it does not work with the Neo MVS Convertor II (blue LED) on the AES. Is it possible to fix it with a firmware update?

I think (and it's just a theory, as I've never seen the boards of one of these converters) the issue is not in neosd but in the converter itself. Neosd requires several cartridge lines that are unused in normal games, so it's likely that these converters aren't passing all lines to the cart as they should. Do you have a high res image of the converter boards? Both boards, both sides

AMike

n00b
I will try to open the converter and post some pictures. 🙂

sent from mobile device

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
here neodev,this are pictures from a neo magic converter 2013
just cleaned contacts also,they where dirty.

25ipzmc.jpg

2h5slk8.jpg

2gvvd3b.jpg

2ytzjuq.jpg

Last edited:

AMike

n00b
Hi fille1976, Thanks for posting the pictures. I was a little bit afraid to open the converter.

sent from mobile device

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?
@neosd / @neodev

Just another minor issue here:

Puzzle de Pon!. The softdip menu shows it as 'Neo Pong' and option names are invisible, though their values are displayed and can be configured. However, the very same romset doesn't have this problem when played on MAME/NeoRage. Maybe it's an UniBIOS 3.2 issue (yet it shows it properly as 'Puzzle de Pon') rathen than NeoSD, not sure.
In addition, the snapshot for Puzzle de Pon! on the NeoSD menu is that of Puzzle de Pon! R! instead of its own.

Thanks!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
@neosd / @neodev

Just another minor issue here:

Puzzle de Pon!. The softdip menu shows it as 'Neo Pong' and option names are invisible, though their values are displayed and can be configured. However, the very same romset doesn't have this problem when played on MAME/NeoRage. Maybe it's an UniBIOS 3.2 issue (yet it shows it properly as 'Puzzle de Pon') rathen than NeoSD, not sure.
In addition, the snapshot for Puzzle de Pon! on the NeoSD menu is that of Puzzle de Pon! R! instead of its own.

Thanks!

That more sounds like something went wrong with the backupRAM loading and saving (probably because neopong does not handle it correctly). I suggest turning off the feature and clearing the MVS backupRAM to fix the issue.

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?
That more sounds like something went wrong with the backupRAM loading and saving (probably because neopong does not handle it correctly). I suggest turning off the feature and clearing the MVS backupRAM to fix the issue.

Yeah, that makes totally sense, specially having into account that some homebrew games are somehow 'built' over the features (ID, softdip config, etc) of pre-existing ones (i.e., Puzzle de Pon!, Super Sidekicks, SVC... As far as I've noticed).

I wonder if it could be fixed by just deleting the backup RAM file created on the NeoSD (maybe, after re-writing the backup RAM memory of the MVS board by saving configurations for another 8 games)...

Thanks, Raz!

neodev

Neosd Tech
Yeah, that makes totally sense, specially having into account that some homebrew games are somehow 'built' over the features (ID, softdip config, etc) of pre-existing ones (i.e., Puzzle de Pon!, Super Sidekicks, SVC... As far as I've noticed).

I wonder if it could be fixed by just deleting the backup RAM file created on the NeoSD (maybe, after re-writing the backup RAM memory of the MVS board by saving configurations for another 8 games)...

Thanks, Raz!

Yez, it looks like neopong might be using the same gameid than puzzle de pon, and so, neosd is using the same backup ram data file. You can just clear the mvs backup ram, or delete the corresponding .bup file while a different game is loaded, so it won't be able to restore the backup data and the mvs will create a new one.

neodev

Neosd Tech
here neodev,this are pictures from a neo magic converter 2013
just cleaned contacts also,they where dirty.

25ipzmc.jpg

2h5slk8.jpg

2gvvd3b.jpg

2ytzjuq.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I'll trace some of the lines I suspect that might be causing problems to check if they are passed straight to cart.

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?
Yez, it looks like neopong might be using the same gameid than puzzle de pon, and so, neosd is using the same backup ram data file. You can just clear the mvs backup ram, or delete the corresponding .bup file while a different game is loaded, so it won't be able to restore the backup data and the mvs will create a new one.

Solved! Just checked the IDs using UniBIOS:

NeoPong v1.1 (neopong) - 9999
NeoPong v1.0 (neopog10 / neoponga) - 0202
Puzzle de Pon! - 0202

So then, after flashing a different game, deleted 0202.bup file from the backup folder NeoSD creates on the SD card. Now Puzzle de Pon! softdip menu is displayed OK while maintaining all my backups for the rest of the games (hi-scores and softdip configurations are preserved), different from what I guess it had happened if MVS backup memory had been cleaned (loss of all backup .bup files, I suppose).

Thank you very much! :)

Now it still remains the 'Puzzle de Pon! R!' snapshot in 'Puzzle de Pon!' on NeoSD menu.

Last edited:

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks for the pics. I'll trace some of the lines I suspect that might be causing problems to check if they are passed straight to cart.

Tracing lines visually could be not easy , i'm owning that converter too so i could help,
if you're not sure about a line , just indicate on the picture which pin should be connected , i can verify continuity with a tester.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Solved! Just checked the IDs using UniBIOS:

NeoPong v1.1 (neopong) - 9999
NeoPong v1.0 (neopog10 / neoponga) - 0202
Puzzle de Pon! - 0202

Thats a problem too. This is not only going to affect these games but many others also in that the NeoSD uses the game ID as a file name. It may be better to use the name of the .NEO file instead.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
God those adapter PCBs are aweful quality! And WTF is that epoxied unecapsulated IC on the left on its own crappy PCB! I was considering buying one of those adapters at one point, and now I am glad I didn't! I wonder if the Neo SD team could make and sell AES to MVS adapters too?

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
GadgetUK,

We think we will be able to send you a new firmware update today, it contains a "surprise" as an extra, we think everyone is going to love the surprise.

Thanks

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
GadgetUK,

We think we will be able to send you a new firmware update today, it contains a "surprise" as an extra, we think everyone is going to love the surprise.

Thanks
Awesome!!! I will keep whatever the update is a secret and leave it to you guys to deliver =D

neosd

Neosd Developer
Awesome!!! I will keep whatever the update is a secret and leave it to you guys to deliver =D

Ok, you have an email with a new firmware update.

Lets see if you can see the surprise ;)

You can tell what it is if you can see it, we don´t anounce things we are working at, until we have those working, but this function is done.

Thanks

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Ok, you have an email with a new firmware update.

Lets see if you can see the surprise ;)

You can tell what it is if you can see it, we don´t anounce things we are working at, until we have those working, but this function is done.

Thanks

The change was great actually =D

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?
New reports here!

After having tested all games, just a few more issues to remark:

* The King of Fighters 2004 Plus. Although also known like that, maybe it should be named more properly as 'The King of Fighters 2004 Hero', as it's the title displayed in-game. In addition, it has the snapshot of The King of Fighters 2004 Ultra Plus instead of its.

* SNK vs. Capcom Plus 2. It doesn't work at all. In arcade mode, it reboots continuously. In console mode, after the 'Neo-Geo Giga Power' jingle, it freezes in black screen. The romset works in MAME, though. This also occurs with romsets from other different sources. (Not an important issue at all, as this is the Set 2 of SNK vs. Capcom Plus, which works great.)

* SNK vs. Capcom Super Plus. The 'Super Plus' logo is not shown on screen. Neither are the extra secret character flags at Player Select screen, but yet extra characters can be selected. Other than that, the game works properly. The romset works entirely OK in MAME, though. This also occurs with romsets from other different sources.

Remember my setting:
MVS MV-1F, UniBIOS 3.2 Free, NeoSD Firmware 1.05 R03 (games first time tested).

Thanks so much!

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
New reports here!

After having tested all games, just a few more issues to remark:

* The King of Fighters 2004 Plus. Although also known like that, maybe it should be named more properly as 'The King of Fighters 2004 Hero', as it's the title displayed in-game. In addition, it has the snapshot of The King of Fighters 2004 Ultra Plus instead of its.

* SNK vs. Capcom Plus 2. It doesn't work at all. In arcade mode, it reboots continuously. In console mode, after the 'Neo-Geo Giga Power' jingle, it freezes in black screen. The romset works in MAME, though. This also occurs with romsets from other different sources. (Not an important issue at all, as this is the Set 2 of SNK vs. Capcom Plus, which works great.)

* SNK vs. Capcom Super Plus. The 'Super Plus' logo is not shown on screen. Neither are the extra secret character flags at Player Select screen, but yet extra characters can be selected. Other than that, the game works properly. The romset works entirely OK in MAME, though. This also occurs with romsets from other different sources.

Remember my setting:
MVS MV-1F, UniBIOS 3.2 Free, NeoSD Firmware 1.05 R03 (games first time tested).

Thanks so much!

Could you do me a favour and run some CRC check in unibios, in particular on Metal Slug 5 and KoF2003. You might need to repeat the test several times for good measure.

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?
Could you do me a favour and run some CRC check in unibios, in particular on Metal Slug 5 and KoF2003. You might need to repeat the test several times for good measure.

Sure!
As a matter of fact, I've been running CRC checks for EVERY game, and I usually repeat them again every time I swap a game. They have always resulted in OK for all ROM regions and banks, except for the games/bootlegs/homebrew not included in UniBIOS 3.2 CRC database.

However, I've just performed the CRC checks you asked, and I'm afraid this time it's been different... I'm kinda freaked out... :eek_2:

Firstly, I flashed Metal Slug 5, then ran CRC check: ROM bank 0 was NG, strikingly as I've run the very same CRC check several times a few days ago, and all ROMs were OK at first try. Repeated the check immediately: ROM bank 0 was NG, and with a different value from previously. Again: 0 NG, completely different value.

Next, I went back to game select menu and flashed KOF2003. In a first CRC check, ROM banks 2 & 4 were NG, the rest OK. Repeated the check immediately: ROM banks 2, 3 & 4 NG, and 2 & 3 with different values from previously. Again: 2, 3 & 4 NG, completely different values. :crying:

Time for switching off the MVS and re-inserting the NeoSD, looking for a perfect and smooth insertion. Whitout re-flashing, I performed 3 consecutive CRC checks for KOF2003: Now all ROMs were OK and passed the check.

Finally, I re-flashed Metal Slug 5 to run new CRC checks. ROM bank 0 was again NG, with the same value than in the first test. Again, and at last all ROMs were OK. Once again, and bank 0 was again NG, with a different value from previous ones.

What surprises me most is that last week I performed such CRC checks for both these games several times, always obtaining OK for all ROMs.

Any insight into what can be happening here? Why CRC checks were OK before and now they measure variable values for some ROM banks? The only condition that has been altered is the new beta firmware and my recent testing with handmade .neo files from homebrew and new hacks.

Last edited: