SCART Converters

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
No.

It just extracts the composite and svideo signal from the scart connector (if present). If the cable is RGB only with composite video as sync, the best you will get is composite video.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
No.

It just extracts the composite and svideo signal from the scart connector (if present). If the cable is RGB only with composite video as sync, the best you will get is composite video.

What about the claim about component video?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Same thing. Since euro scart can have component video signals on the 21 pin connector, this just extracts it if it's already there. Completely passive.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Same thing. Since euro scart can have component video signals on the 21 pin connector, this just extracts it if it's already there. Completely passive.

Any known SCART to S-video/Composite converters or is there only component/hdmi?

Just heard back from the seller and he confirms, it's just passthrough, no conversion.

bwi

20 Year Member
Scart does not carry component, only RGB, s-video and composite

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
S-video offers no advantages over YUV. Simply tell your customer that he is an idiot.

In all seriousness, just do the YUV converter. He can get a SCART switch or components switch that way.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
S-video offers no advantages over YUV. Simply tell your customer that he is an idiot.

In all seriousness, just do the YUV converter. He can get a SCART switch or components switch that way.

It all depends on the TV, not all TVs take component video. But I got him to do RGB, so he's searching for a PVM/BVM right now.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The thing with those (I've found this on three different units) you've got to open them up and do some color correction/adjustment. No biggie, but still...
By default they produce this overly green tint to the picture.

I had the same issue that you describe, couldn't get rid of the green tint entirely despite adjusting the 5 pots inside.
I have since moved to RGB.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
SCART is a multipurpose connection, capable of carrying Composite, S-video, Component and RGB signals.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
yes i know. im wondering why he said it?

He's saying that a normal SCART connection is RGB, not component. You're talking about a device that can switch between RGB and Component using the same lines. He's talking about SCART standard.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
hmmm I dont think I understand.

My PVM accepts RGB and Component on the same input. I can access either one with the same cable. Doesnt that mean that my SCART cable carries both a RGB and component signal?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Some devices like the ps2 run component and rgb from the same pins.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
hmmm I dont think I understand.

My PVM accepts RGB and Component on the same input. I can access either one with the same cable. Doesnt that mean that my SCART cable carries both a RGB and component signal?

How does your PVM use 3 signals for both video types? RGB takes 4 not 3, so not the same pins.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My old pvm ignored the sync connector if you had it set to component, or rgb could be sync on green, as the ps2 supports that.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
How does your PVM use 3 signals for both video types? RGB takes 4 not 3, so not the same pins.

I know. That one guy said SCART doesnt carry component and i know thats not true. Doubly so since i know my PS2 cable can give me both signals on the fly.

Now i know its not actually the cable but the PS2 itself. So basically the R G B pins are on the same pins as the Y Pb Pr