Super Mario Run

Yoshi

20 Year Member

I think the $10 price point is really aggressive on this. I was expecting higher from Nintendo honestly. They're going to sell a bajillion copies at that price.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
I don't know 10 dollars sounds high to me. I agree that they will sell an absurd amount though.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Good for the casuals who actually play on their phone I guess...

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Seems high, but only because if it fits the Nintendo MO for pricing, you can forget seeing much of any discounts on it, and if there are, don't expect probably more than 20-30% off at most rarely here and there much like their own eshop offerings. I thought the usual happy point for many was in the $5-7 range for dedicated no IAP programs that don't have a historical (ie a port) basis in physical media (like the expensive square releases or the $16 Soul Caliber from Namco.) I had to admit it but I'd probably buy it, holding my nose, just because I'm curious. I just wish Apple wasn't getting such nice treatment, rather do this on my shield tablet than the dopey little iphone5s screen.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Well it's cheap compared to SquareEnix mobile games...
It's not cheap when compared to the majority of mobile games.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
How are they going to manage to under supply a digital game though?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
How are they going to manage to under supply a digital game though?
They will have Apple take down the connection to the server where the game lies 23 hours a day, and only have it active around midnight PST.

More importantly, how am I going to flip this app on eBay for maximum profit?
Find the cheapest source of a used iDevice or Android(when there) and just sell the devices hacked with a straight vanilla boot to the game and nothing else.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
If anyone else is playing this, my player ID is 5846-2281-9767. I haven't actually paid yet, but the pink/purple/black coin chase is compelling enough that I probably will.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Played the game a few times, and its ok.
IDK if it's worth the $10

I have an android phone, so it really doesn't matter, since I can't buy.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I thought about buying it, it is sort of fun. Then I slap myself and realize that it is a mobile game.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
I didn't get through the tutorial. I can't believe they want $10 for it. If this game was exactly the same except without Mario, it would have been 99 cent

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I didn't get through the trailer. I can't believe they want $10 for a ticket. If this movie was [sic] exactly the same except without Star Wars, it would have gone straight to DVD.

That's why companies spend years and lots of money developing IPs. I'm not completely sold on the game either, but the price isn't the issue. I've been disappointed by the race to the bottom in mobile gaming, as I greatly prefer the premium model to the F2P one.

Last edited:

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
Clearly the bear to entry at $10 seems a bit steep to me, but I don't play mobile games as much as the next person. If the price point was $5 or $6 then I most likely would have tossed in the cash, played the game for a couple weeks then never played it again. Seems like either way nintendo made their money, maybe not from me but 40 million downloads so far. I just want to know how many out of the 40 million are actually paid downloads or just the free trial.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Clearly the bear to entry at $10 seems a bit steep to me, but I don't play mobile games as much as the next person. If the price point was $5 or $6 then I most likely would have tossed in the cash, played the game for a couple weeks then never played it again. Seems like either way nintendo made their money, maybe not from me but 40 million downloads so far. I just want to know how many out of the 40 million are actually paid downloads or just the free trial.

Well they hit 40 million downloads in the first 4 days of the release only on iPhone, it was reported at 14 million in revenue... they hit like 50 million just a couple days after that. I don't know the estimated DL count now but they made bank, and they will continue too for awhile now that droid is opening up to it. Game is enjoyable, my daughter wanted it so I got it for her, then looked up online a way to get it on my iTunes account too without having to pay twice (took some work). I like it, and the challenge is going against the other players and friends, lots of replay trying to obtain all the secret coins etc. I despise most phone games but I have played this one quite a bit and I'm glad they got 10 bucks out of me. I have tried playing MARIO before on an iPhone with the on screen Dpad and honestly this is probably the only way MARIO games can be played without a controller on a phone.

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
Well they hit 40 million downloads in the first 4 days of the release only on iPhone, it was reported at 14 million in revenue... they hit like 50 million just a couple days after that. I don't know the estimated DL count now but they made bank, and they will continue too for awhile now that droid is opening up to it. Game is enjoyable, my daughter wanted it so I got it for her, then looked up online a way to get it on my iTunes account too without having to pay twice (took some work). I like it, and the challenge is going against the other players and friends, lots of replay trying to obtain all the secret coins etc. I despise most phone games but I have played this one quite a bit and I'm glad they got 10 bucks out of me. I have tried playing MARIO before on an iPhone with the on screen Dpad and honestly this is probably the only way MARIO games can be played without a controller on a phone.

Yeah I can see how it would work alot better than a d-pad situation. Clearly they are going to make bank off of it. I don't know maybe I'll stop being a grump and just shell out the cash.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
^I did and westcb is right. It takes a little getting used to it being always running, and the fact anything 'mini mario' height he will automatically vault over (blocks, ledges, even enemies) but once you do it is smooth. Even if you don't care about the colored coins, just beating on the enemies to level them up can be fun and it rewards more coins in that toad rally. All that plays back into being able to rebuild your own custom mushroom kingdom as a reward too. It's good if you just SMB classic it, or you want to make more of it too.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I played through the main game and collected all red and all purple coins. Played Toad Rally for a while until I got enough to unlock the cake in Kingdom Builder. Seeing a ton of people maxing out at 9999 Toads collected and I almost always have 99 Toad Rally Tickets at my disposal. Kinda fell out of playing it after that.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I played through the main game and collected all red and all purple coins. Played Toad Rally for a while until I got enough to unlock the cake in Kingdom Builder. Seeing a ton of people maxing out at 9999 Toads collected and I almost always have 99 Toad Rally Tickets at my disposal. Kinda fell out of playing it after that.

What's the cake do?

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Luigi is the game breaker in this game. Once you get enough toads to get him the game is all downhill. Still have a way to go to get the cake. But I'll get there someday.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Luigi is G as fuck and doesn't care what you think about him.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
I’m gonna give this a try, but I suspect I’m going to hate this automatic run thing.
I’m not the biggest fan of mobile games!