options for Sega Saturn arcade stick

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
So all I can really find is a somewhat pricey Japanese Virtua Stick (which I kind of want tbh) and the regular version which is black. I never used either of them before, and looking at picture it almost looks like the black one has some weird plastic buttons and aren't very akin to real arcade hardware. Am I wrong? I haven't gotten a chance to see one up close really. How does it compare to the Japanese stick?

Any other options out there either?

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
The black stick Sega released here in North America is sub-standard, IMHO.

Buy one of those cheap 3rd-party Saturn pads, and use the PCB to make your own stick. You could buy a used stick off someone, and swap out the buttons/board.

Or, you could look for a used MAS stick, but it'd be cheaper to just build your own.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I use the Japan Virtua Stick and love it. I also use it with my Dreamcast and it works great. Only reason I still don't have a Agetech stick.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
The US Virtua Stick has those shitty hollow plastic buttons, and the stick feels like it's sitting on a thick layer of dog shit.

The JP stick is much much better.

I have this:

ASC0602Cactual.jpg

Made by ASCII, it came out in red/white with SFA2 in Japan, and the black one got released on its own. The US one has a battop, but I can't speak to its playability.

The JP one (the one I own) is pure secks. The buttons could use some beefing up, tho, otherwise not a single complaint from me.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
As others have said, the Hori Fighting Stick SS ($$) or the Japan Virtua Stick ($$$) is what you need.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
As others have said, the Hori Fighting Stick SS ($$) or the Japan Virtua Stick ($$$) is what you need.

What everyone said basically. Go for the Hori Fighting Stick SS or for the Virtua Stick HSS-136. Keep in mind there are two version of the last one. One uses nice Sanwa parts and the other crap parts. Not sure on how to distinguish them and get the sanwa version since they are identical on the outside. Read this some weeks ago on the shoryuken forums.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
My vote goes to a PSX Namco stick and a Tototek PSX to Sat joypad converter

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
As pointed out before the only real option for a Saturn arcade stick:

hss07shots.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The US Virtua Stick has those shitty hollow plastic buttons, and the stick feels like it's sitting on a thick layer of dog shit.

The JP stick is much much better.

I have this:

View attachment 40555

Made by ASCII, it came out in red/white with SFA2 in Japan, and the black one got released on its own. The US one has a battop, but I can't speak to its playability.

The JP one (the one I own) is pure secks. The buttons could use some beefing up, tho, otherwise not a single complaint from me.

I had the US ASCII stick and I agree with this. It's a great budget stick, you used to be able to buy them NIB pretty cheap from Amazon. It feels a lot like an old style Neo stick. The joystick is microswitched, the buttons are not. Pretty decent all around. If you've got the cash though, go Hori or custom. There's no reason to get a crap stick when the stock pad is already pretty great.

The black Virtua stick is wretched garbage. No microswitches, so it feels like a mushy mess. Before I moved I had two of them, one was still new in box. I threw them both away, as I did not want to subject anyone to those pieces of crap.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
+1 for the HORI. It just like the Neo version, but with more button.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Is this a lagless solution though?
I'm fairly certain it is lagless. The Namco stick is made by Hori, and is widely regarded as the best arcade stick they have ever made

I own the Sega Virtua Stick Pro and given a choice I would pick the Namco stick. The stock Sega parts are mediocre and not easy to mod.

BTW, modding a namco stick is sacrilege - Don't do it. Keep it stock

Edit:plus it doesn't have a retar....."unconventional" button layout like the Sega Hori stick

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
thank you guys!!! i talked to stefan about it too he recommended the HORI Fighting Stick SS, i'm gonna go for it when i have some cash. i did use the Namco stick at white castles' place a few weekends ago when we were playing Vampire Savior and they are really nice

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
she's pretty amazing. she's going to be getting me Akumajo Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight (SotN) for Saturn as well

question: has anyone thought of modding the HORI stick with different colored buttons or Sanwa parts or something? I really like the layout of it. I was thinking of maybe getting a custom balltop or something too... any thoughts? I have never modded a stick before

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
BTW, modding a namco stick is sacrilege - Don't do it. Keep it stock

I have one and it is way too much overrated. Japanese Saturn Stick > Namco PSX stick any day of the week.

dagoto19

n00b
question: has anyone thought of modding the HORI stick with different colored buttons or Sanwa parts or something? I really like the layout of it. I was thinking of maybe getting a custom balltop or something too... any thoughts? I have never modded a stick before

If the buttons on the Hori stick are 30mm they should swap out with Sanwa easily. I can't recall atm but most Japanese built sticks have parts that are easily interchangeable with arcade buttons and joysticks.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
If the buttons on the Hori stick are 30mm they should swap out with Sanwa easily. I can't recall atm but most Japanese built sticks have parts that are easily interchangeable with arcade buttons and joysticks.
cool. im not totally sure what im doing. i was mostly just thinking of customizing the colors and i want one of those cute translucent ball tops!!

dagoto19

n00b
cool. im not totally sure what im doing. i was mostly just thinking of customizing the colors and i want one of those cute translucent ball tops!!

If the built in stick is anything like modern arcade parts swapping the balltop and buttons for new colors should be really easy. There's a ton of youtube videos explaining how to swap parts out of modern arcade sticks so you can check those out if you need some guidance.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
thanks! know of the best websites to get parts from??

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
focus attack is pretty a koll site, sign up for the newsletter and they have discounts pretty much every week on various things.

dagoto19

n00b
thanks! know of the best websites to get parts from??

I like to get my parts from Arcadeshock or Focusattack (add the ".com" to either). You should compare the two for better prices and selection depending on your needs.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy

I was pretty sure that the buttons were soldered to the pcb so i checked and sure enough they are. But its a simple enough mod. just alittle soldering required but looks like the button holes are 30 mm so no worrying about modding the hole size. If you do the buttons only make sure to at the very least swap out the joystick spring and apply some fresh lube to the stick.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5305&sid=c972564414996f4297c978f9fac38e39

I pretty much get all my parts from Focus Attack except for afew exclusives from other shops. Def check out FA's facebook page, they have a promotion daily. Sometimes by brand, type of part or sometimes its by color.

Last edited: