Help with multi console Arcade Stick

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm making a multi console arcade stick. Im gonna be using a ps360+ for mostly every thing except neo geo. What I came up with was just splicing the DB15 wires with the button wires into the ps360+ like this :http://imgur.com/a/J9qfz sorry for the bad diagram lol

Do I need to hook up the DB15s 5v line into the ps360+? I know if you're doing neo geo only you do not need the 5v. I was thinking since the db15 and the buttons were spliced together i wouldnt need the 5v. Should I just hook it up any way? Or should I just leave unconnected? I didnt see the point in hooking up the db15s 5v since the wires were spliced with the buttons anyway. I could probably make an RJ45 to DB15 but I couldnt find a pinout for that any where.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, connect the 5v line. The PCB needs to be powered or it might do all kinds of crazy things.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yes, connect the 5v line. The PCB needs to be powered or it might do all kinds of crazy things.

hmmm

actually i did exactly that for xorthen and he hasnt reported any crazy issues

i didnt connect the 5v to anything and as far as i know its working fine. I was told to do it that way by a couple of people on here and a few other places. im not saying your wrong as i have no idea what the fuck i im doing with the neogeo support. i went in pretty blind on that one.

so its better to connect the 5v eh?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you have a PCB in there yeah. If it's just buttons then no. On my stick the buttons passed the initial test but when I played a game I kept getting phantom button presses, as well as the stick randomly pushing the select button by itself.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
good to know. i dont have a neogeo so i had to just pin out and wire everything up manually and hope for the best.

wasnt able to test it in any meaningful way. i really hope not having the board powered isnt causing any problems

:/

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
The golden rule for multi-PCB modding.. all PCBs ALWAYS need power, even if they're not being used.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So I finally got every thing I needed for this build. I put it all together and every thing works on PC and PS3 but not on the neo geo. I connected the 5v to the "vcc" on the ps360+ but I dont think its powering the board. I already double checked to make sure it was the 5v line on the db15. When I plug it into my pc the LEDs on ps360+ light up but not on the neo geo. The wire gauge on the db15 was a lot smaller than the buttons wires but I doubt this matters. Any ideas?

Another thing that's probably worth mentioning is there were 16 wires for the DB15 and the ground wire (pin 1) was just bare. wtf is the extra wire? Another ground or something? If it isnt obvious I have no idea what im doing basically.

edit: actually maybe i should be asking someone where on the ps360+ i should be putting this 5v wire from the db15 http://imgur.com/a/E9s5y
edit2: Alright every thing works now. the mystery 16th wire WAS a ground wire. As soon as i hooked up the second ground every thing worked. 2 wires connected to pin 1.

Last edited: