Sega Master & Genesis / MD 1CC thread

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I recently cleared Mystical Fighter (hard) and Anet Futatabi (normal).

Their respective defaults are normal and easy.

The technique I used to kill the stage 4 boss in Mystical Fighter yields an absurd number of points.
You also receive a bonus for lives left in stock, so I'll likely come back to this game. Maybe even to play expert mode.

List updated

Zero Wing (1-ALL)
Gleylancer
Darius II
Fire Mustang (1-ALL)
Thunder Force III
Battle Mania Dai Gin Jou
Forgotten Worlds
Curse
Arrow Flash
Musha
Verytex
Elemental Master
Fire Shark (1-ALL)
Phelios
Revenge of Shinobi
Super Shinobi II
Shadow Dancer
Contra : The Hard Corps
Golden Axe
Golden Axe III
Altered Beast (5-ALL)
Senjou no Okami (arcade + original)
Valis
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3 + BK III
Midnight Resistance
Chiki Chiki Boys
Golden Axe II
Castlevania : Bloodlines
Double Dragon II
Bari-arm
Sengoku Densho
Mystical Fighter
Anet Futatabi
Undeadline

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
After a two year hiatus, I've returned to undeadline and figured out how to manage
the final boss.

This may or may not have been a 1 life clear. All of the runs from this morning kind of blurred together.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Hmm... looking at your impressive list, I wonder what will be next? After Crude Buster (and Midnight Resistance) maybe another DECO game? Chelnov & Captain Lang are very challenging, come to think of it, I didn't even clear the latter, the game has XXL length. But your list seems to avoid pure platform games, so let's leave it with Chelnov.

Since you have cleared so many action jump'n runs, there's maybe a place for Mamono Hunter Yohko or Dahna. Oddbals, but good ones. A great one is Alisia Dragoon. Then there's El Viento, which would go well with your Anett clear, and there are Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster and Pulseman. Or better yet, my all time fave Kujaku Ou 2. Or maybe more old-school: Jewel Master, with its top-noch ost.

And STG's? Your list could use Slap Fight MD, to include all relevant Koshiro soundtracks on the Mega Drive. Anyway, I'll let myself be surprised ;).

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
oliverclaude, great suggestions.

I own only a few of the titles you've listed, unfortunately. Maybe that will change...

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Jewel Master, is that the Peacock King based game?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Yo, I had vague memories... thx for the word!

Mystic Defender rocked my world at a buddy’s house in 10th grade. Didn’t see the videos until mid 20s...that joint is crazy.

I really should get that TerraOnion Sega thing, if they clean up their customer service.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Mystic Defender rocked my world at a buddy’s house in 10th grade. Didn’t see the videos until mid 20s...that joint is crazy.

The 1994 OVA miniseries directed by the anime legend in his own right Rintaro(Shigeyuki Hayashi) was one of the earliest collegiate distribution fansubs I randomly got as a VHS loaner. Kickass concepts, visuals, & manga source material to be sure. Eventually saw the Golden Harvest live action flicks courtesy of some bootleg tape bulk dealer at Chiller Theater Expo a few years later. Mystic Defender was among the initial smattering of 1st party Genesis games I belatedly rented in 1992.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

Wow, I'm seriously impressed. Not because I think the game is impossible but because I think it requires some patience and it has a steep learning curve. I love it and I'm currently trying to beat this one before I attempt a 1cc

My short list:

Shadow Dancer (no throwing stars)
Trouble Shooter (hardest difficulty)
Battle Mania Dai Gin Jou (hardest difficulty)

those are some of my favorite games for the Genesis along with Shining Force and Streets of Rage 2 and a bunch more I can't think of right now.

Also I'm on the verge of 1cc'ing Alex Kidd in shinobi world for the Sega master system.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
^ You have cool games on your short list rokestar.

I cleared Mystic Defender this morning (Well, Kujakuo 2, I played a US cart on a JPN console).

I've had this game since I was a teenager and I always gave up on it despite finding it very cool.

I still find it very cool, though your character's jump can feel a bit unwieldy at times.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I recently cleared Mystical Fighter (hard)

The technique I used to kill the stage 4 boss in Mystical Fighter yields an absurd number of points.
You also receive a bonus for lives left in stock, so I'll likely come back to this game. Maybe even to play expert mode.

I picked up another (I used to own it) copy of the Mega Drive version of Mystical Fighter (Maou Renjishi). There are only two difficulty settings (Easy and Hard). I went with hard mode and cleared it quickly. Maybe this has to do with my previous experience in Mystical Fighter (I haven't played it in a year), but this version seems much easier. The two differences I noticed immediately were health items being more abundant and your character's movement being much slower (not really a hinderance). I can't remember how many difficulty settings are in the US version...there could be a ton of differences between the two games. I definitely need to do a comparison.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I can't remember how many difficulty settings are in the US version...there could be a ton of differences between the two games. I definitely need to do a comparison.

Hmm... could that be the old rental-boost, i.e. Genesis versions made significantly harder to avoid clearing them over the weekend? The only genre which was affected the other way around was STG, like with the Genesis version of Thunder Force III, which was made easier than the jpn. version, where enemies require more hits.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Impressive list, asid.

Trying to 1cc Shinobi on SMS at the moment, that last boss gets me every damn time. Next in line is Ninja Gaiden SMS.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Impressive list, asid.

Trying to 1cc Shinobi on SMS at the moment, that last boss gets me every damn time. Next in line is Ninja Gaiden SMS.

Last boss?? -____________-

I can't stand that 4th stage pitfall jump. And I'm not good at the bonus stage for the flying squirell magic. :/

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Last boss?? -____________-

I can't stand that 4th stage pitfall jump. And I'm not good at the bonus stage for the flying squirell magic. :/

Heh, I quite suck at the bonus stages as well. If the stars throwing would be just a lil' faster it would be no prob but I guess that's the whole point...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks Tak.

Good luck with your SMS Ninja action!

Still no cigar so far. Apart from the mean Mister Ninja endboss or however he's called, it's the level 4 boss that always kills my powerups so I arrive at level 5 with standard weapons and there aren't enough hostages in the final stage to fully power-up again. What the hell were they thinking with that level 4 boss... the rows of statues you have to destroy before you can attack the actual boss means hammering away on the pad at super high speed and a single lapse is enough to kill you. To add insult to injury, the powered-up weapons don't deliver any more damage than the standard one, wtf.

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong with that level 4 boss? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
to deal with the statues, you need to jump a little, make sure your shots are alternating between the second from the bottom and bottom statues. you keep repeating that pattern and the statues drop while you're shooting.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
to deal with the statues, you need to jump a little, make sure your shots are alternating between the second from the bottom and bottom statues. you keep repeating that pattern and the statues drop while you're shooting.

Thanks, Kid, going to try that today.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Wasn't able to beat the Shinobi endboss yet but Kid's tip for the level 4 boss worked very well, I was able to beat him twice without losing my powerups. Jumping while shooting really makes the difference.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Wasn't able to beat the Shinobi endboss yet but Kid's tip for the level 4 boss worked very well, I was able to beat him twice without losing my powerups. Jumping while shooting really makes the difference.

Any improvement yet?

I just cleared Gunstar Heroes for the first time. This used to be a game that I found extremely difficult back when I was really bad at video games. I haven't played a whole lot of it since. Well... it's not hard. At least when sticking to the Blue + Green combo.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Any improvement yet?

I just cleared Gunstar Heroes for the first time. This used to be a game that I found extremely difficult back when I was really bad at video games. I haven't played a whole lot of it since. Well... it's not hard. At least when sticking to the Blue + Green combo.

Haven't managed to beat the game yet but I'm getting closer, I'm just getting a bit distracted from other games, like Dungeon Explorer on Mega CD, started a new game and being busy with racking up gold and EP. :)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I'm glad I found this thread. I always get fucking pissed at Strider on the genny, hard difficulty. I usually do a no miss with ease up to the final level, but then these motherfuckers eat all of my lives: the tiny drone file that flies down the screen + machine gunner, and the tiny drones in the antigrav section. For fuck's sake how are you supposed to not get hit by them? The antigrav section is the most aggravating since whichever path you choose (climbing through the spike "ceiling" where the soldiers spawn vs jumping over the "floor" gap then jumping on those tricky horizontal spikes that let you reach the core reactor through the right side) is guaranteed to get fucked by you touching a drone and falling to your doom or getting shot too many times by them.

Normal is doable because those damn drones doesn't seem to appear as often and it's easier to take damage from the machinegunner, but how do I git gud in hard mode?