Grizz's sub collections

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
What the... Did you come here to taunt us?

I'm just sharing my collection. :D

Don't worry guys, I'm just as nerdy as the rest of you as proven by my Wario figure.

Wario_zpsbee4e469.jpg

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Wow. This is probably the best collection of video games i've seen. Really impressive buddy!

Your friend Nhi; is she a woman?

EDIT: nvmnd. I didn't see the shirt the first time.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I've got an interesting story on how I got these three GameCubes.

3GameCubes.jpg

If anybody is interested I'll tell my multi-part tale here.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Whoa! Three of them?

Yeah dood, please share the deets!

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
You could see my copy of Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U behind my Wario figure but I also have the other three console games in the series complete and boxed.

SuperSmashBrothersCollection.jpg

Having grown up on traditional fighting games like Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct I found the Smash series very difficult to appreciate in the beginning. It wasn't until I got Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii that I really started to get what the series is about. Now, one of my favorite fighting games to bring out when friends drop by is the Brawl soft mod Project M.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I used to have that Beast Wars N64 game boxed. Either it is still in the basement somewhere or it got tossed in the flood. Either way, haven't seen it in years.

I prefer the PSX version but even then the game can be frustrating. Funny how depictive the FMVs were towards the figures, even more so than the Show, would love a new Beast Wars game with extreme attention to detail. The first game was another frustrating venture.

Imagine a new platinum Beast Wars game...with both factions! Damn...

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Hey, what forum is that
It no longer exists but it was a forum devoted to Armored Core.

I mentioned that most of my Japanese games are boxed, well here's my Japanese copy of Mario Kart 64.

MK64Japanese.jpg

And here's my favorite Mario Kart 64 memory.

During the holiday season of 1997 my local Blockbuster Video had replaced Super Mario 64 in the promotional kiosk with Mario Kart 64. As some of you may be aware, MK64 is my favorite game on the N64 having spent literally hundreds if not thousands of hours playing it with friends. I was in Blockbuster browsing around Christmas time because N64 games were still rather pricey back then so I tended to rent before committing to a purchase.

There was a hardcore gamer looking guy of about 19 years old playing Mario Kart 64 and I could tell he had some skills because he was pulling off mini-turbos around just about every corner. He must have noticed me watching him because he arrogantly mentioned that MK64 was also a multiplayer game and would I like to race against him. I hesitated for just a brief moment but instinct got the better of me and before I knew it I had controller number 2 clutched tightly in my hands and I was counter-picking Wario to his choice of Donkey Kong. I guess in the heady moments leading up to our race I reckoned he'd try to bump me off the track if I picked a lighter yet more forgiving character like Toad or Yoshi. I let him pick the track and engine size for our Versus bout - he showed absolutely no mercy by picking Royal Raceway and 150cc so immediately I knew this guy meant business.

We both got the turbo at the start of the race which seemed to take my opponent by surprise and I felt him hesitate ever so slightly as we approached the first turn. He compounded his error further by not getting a full mini-turbo which allowed me to pull ahead as we made our way down to the edge of the lake which rests tranquilly at the center of the track. As luck would have it, I had picked up a single banana as my item and I opted to gamble by dropping it at the bend rather than dragging it behind me. My gambit paid off as I heard DK squeal in distress as he spun out of control and in to the lake. Within ten seconds of the start of the race my opponent standing next to me was already grumbling under his breath. He was far too skilled and hardened a warrior to admit defeat so early as he knew that Mario Kart 64 offers up a wicked level of handicap advantage to those who fall behind, and sure enough his next trip through an item box rewarded him with a deadly red homing shell. By this point I had also been granted a practical implement, given the fact that I was in first place, in the form of a green shell and this time I wisely chose to drag it behind me for defense. Yeah, this guy was quite the tactician as he showed the patience to wait until I was on the other side of the ramp and in the S-turn before launching his homing shell but to no avail as it harmlessly hit the green shell I had in tow.

By this point a small crowd had gathered behind us to take in the spectacle. I never dared look back at them as I knew a victory would take every ounce of concentration I could muster but I was aware of the spectators at a near subconscious level. Besides, they occasionally made their presence known by their guttural gasps whenever they sensed a possible lead change.

Royal Raceway is a very long track and we did jockey for position several times as the slightest error on either of our behalves would cost us the lead. It became apparent the winner of this race wasn't going to be the person with the better driving ability but the challenger with the sharper mind and an edge in luck. Much luck was needed too as Versus also ramps up the excitement by placing yellow bombs on the track which can be, and often are game-changers if one errantly collides with them.

On that day chance was on my side as I was able to lay down a suppressing field of bananas near the end of the track. In fact, there were so many bananas strewn about that we both started to slide on them as we headed down the homestretch. My victory was assured only because I was able to pull myself out of the slide by a deft tap of the brake and regain just enough control to stay on the course. As I did - the half dozen or so people watching erupted in to a roar with some of them even stepping forward to pat me on the back.

Yeah... that was a moment that I'll never forget and part of the reason why the N64 will always hold a special place in my heart.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Pocket protector and coke bottle glasses, right?

You want to know what the old Grizzmeister looks like in contrast?

IMG_0273_zps6b17387d.jpg

That's me on the left with NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden's father Lon at the Restore the Fourth rally in Washington, DC.

Last edited:

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
Nice pics! So, do you own any AES or MVS games?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You want to know what the old Grizzmeister looks like in contrast?

IMG_0273_zps6b17387d.jpg

That's me on the left with NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden's father Lon at the Restore the Fourth rally in Washington, DC.

El Creepo 'Stash Certified.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
This was originally written by me back in late 2008 and posted as a series of entries on an Armored Core forum I used to frequent. I thought some of you might find it interesting.

Originally posted on: Nov 24 2008, 08:12 PM

"So I was checking out Craig's List looking for inexpensive used GameCubes games to play on my Wii when I ran across this ad:

Free - two gamecubes needing repair (Mebane, NC)
Date: 2008-10-17, 7:09PM EDT

I have two gamecubes here that need repairs. I may not be an electronics expert, but I do happen to know exactly what is wrong with each of them. One Gamecube has a worn CD motor. It can't make the lens move to access different sectors of the disk. This part can be replaced. The other gamecube works fine, except for that the ports where the controllers are plugged in are unreliable. I was using it to play Zelda: Twilight Princess and Link tended to wander to the left when I wasn't using the Joystick.

Anyway, I took these to Gamestop, and they wouldn't even take them for free. The guy said, "I'll put them in the trash for you if you want." That's retarded. I know there's folks out there with repair expertise who can get these working again and put them to use, not leave them to rot in a landfill. Email if you're interested.

So I figure - what the heck, I'll pick these things up and see if I can fix 'em. After all, I'm pretty handy with electronics having successfully installed mod chips in about half-a-dozen PSX's without incident. Oops a buddy has dropped by to play some Brawl so I'll have to continue this later..."

These entries will get pretty humorous so please stay tuned. :D

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Nov 24 2008, 11:18 PM

"Ok that was fun!

So I call the guy and ask him if he still has the GameCubes and he tells me he does. He won't be giving me the power cords or AV hookups for either, however. That makes the deal a lot less exciting as I'll have to pick up a power cable from somewhere and most sites on the Web are generally selling it for about 16 bucks. Not a boat load of money but more than I want to pay for a console that I may not be able to repair. The good thing is that the SNES/N64 AV cable will work on the GC and I have plenty of those lying around. Matter of fact, I even have an S-Video cable that will work on the SNES/N64 or GC.

Instead of buying the power cord I opt to try to haggle with a lady that is selling a GameCube without controller for $25 on Craig's List. She sends me her telephone number to pin down details of the transaction and I give her a call. Her GC has been on CL for almost a month so I figure she's probably going to be open to dropping her price. If I can get her down just 5 bucks then I'm getting a console she claims is still working and the power cord for just a few dollars more than most on-line retailers are asking for just the power cord alone. Right away I mention to this lady that Game Stop is selling complete GC's for $30 and would she be willing to take less. She tells me she can go down to $15. "Will you take ten?" I ask sheepishly. "Oh, Ok ten it is", she replied. Then she goes on to tell me that her kids got a Wii so they don't really need the GameCube any longer. SWEET, I got a Black GameCube, composite AV cable and power cord for TEN BUCKS!

Knowing that I've got everything I need no matter what the scenario I drive out to Mebane, NC to pick up the two free GameCubes. Now let me tell you, Mebane is easily 60 miles away from my house and if gas hadn't taken a big drop in price I probably wouldn't be going out there. Looking at it another way, I decide to make an adventure out of the trip. I've never been to Mebane and I tell myself that it'll be fun to see a new place.

So I drive out to the country and I see the house. There's firewood stacked about 4 feet high across the entire length of the front porch. I wouldn't call the house dumpy but it's certainly old and a tad bit dilapidated. Nonetheless, I knock on the door and ask for Ben. The slim mountain man who answers the door looks a little perturbed that I've interrupted whatever he may have been doing and asks me to wait on the porch while he gets the GamesCubes. Then he yells inside at his old lady as to the whereabouts of the GC's. "After all" he says, "They've been sitting by the front door for months". My heart sank to my stomach when I heard that last remark as I could smell the dog and cat piss coming from inside even though the wind was blowing at a fairly steady clip. The guy must have mistaken the look of horror on my face as a sign that I was cold so he invited me in. I told him he didn't have to do that and that I had imposed enough already. He insisted and told me that it might take a while to find both GC's. I was forced to oblige but the second that I walked in the house I could feel my throat starting to close up and my eyes start to water from all the dust, residual chimney smoke and animal hair floating around in the small house.

Darn it! I've got a phone call. I'll have to start up on this again later. Please excuse all the typos and grammatical errors as I've been typing this as fast as my two fingers will allow."

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
You only have 2 fingers? That makes the mario kart story all the more remarkable.

10 fingers for gaming but only two seem to know how to type. :lolz:

Since I'm sharing some GameCube memories please allow me to show off my Japanese exclusive white controllers for the console.

White%20GC%20controllers_zpsxeucv73r.jpg

I love 'em because they can be used with both the GameCube and the Wii. They can even be used with the Wii U when playing Sm4sh if you have the adapter which I just happened to have snagged at launch.

IMG_0497_zpsb1a26a5d.jpg

As you can see, I'm one of those collectors who also relishes actually playing his games. ;)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
All I can picture is that creepo stash next to the nice white controllers...

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
All I can picture is that creepo stash next to the nice white controllers...

How long have you had issues with men's facial hair? :lolz:

Hey, if you're gonna talk about my look how about posting up a picture of yourself? You're not weirdly ugly are you? :eye:

Back on topic: more of my controllers.

MintConditionControllers.jpg

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Nov 25 2008, 02:52 PM

"Just then the dog of the house comes up to me and insists on sniffing my crotch. I laugh it off and gently nudge him away but for whatever reason he won't be discouraged. Between my throat tightening to the point where I'm having a hard time breathing, my eyes irritated so badly that I probably look like a stoner or at least seriously Chinese and this pooch having a love affair with my jock - I'm wondering if two free broken GameCubes are really worth it! Thankfully within moments a young girl of about 14 years old comes from one of the back bedrooms with the GC's in tow. She's carrying them towards me by their handles and looking at me as if I'm the Messiah sent to resurrect two old dear friends. In fact, she almost looks at me with awe as if I'm a necromancer who can restore these machines, that obviously brought her much joy, to their former glory. A lesser man might have been turned on by such a feeling of power and in fact I might have even been if I wasn't about to pass out from asphyxiation. Yeah this slim young girl was an Anime fans wet dream as she stood just under 5 feet with straight shoulder length dark hair and big blue eyes that almost matched the color of her Carolina blue sweater. As she handed me the two consoles she mumbled, "We had one GameCube and then our neighbor gave us the second one" then she paused with a brief sigh, "but they both stopped working at about the same time". I was somewhat touched and felt the need to assure the girl and her parents that I would make my best attempt to repair the machines, and with that I quickly started moving towards the door.

As I walked outside it was as if someone had lifted a 100 pound anvil off my chest. AIR! The further I got from the house the deeper I was able to breath and with that my senses and my peripheral vision returned. Moving towards my car I was able to get a good look at the two GC's and noticed that they didn't really look too bad. Sure, I could smell animal urine (I guess it was animal :smirk:) on them and both had a very fine dust, about the consistency of talc, on them but aside from that they both seemed in fair shape. Anyhow I opted not to take any chances and quickly deposited both of the machines in the trunk of my car and made haste back to my house.

Ok, it's my lunch time. Let me take a break and I'll come back to this a little later..."

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Nov 26 2008, 01:33 PM

"The ride back from Mebane to my quaint home town of Wake Forest takes just a little more than an hour and during that time I reflect back on some issues pertaining to my quest to own a working Nintendo GameCube. I thought about my motivation, I thought about practicality and I also thought about the deep blue eyes of that young girl at the house I just left. Those azure windows to her soul expressed, even more forcefully than her words, her sincere desire to have those two GameCubes brought back to life so they could continue to spread even more joy to others. I felt as if I had to live up to that little lady's high expectations and I also wondered why no one else had. Oh yes, no doubt much of the problem revolved around the vexing conundrum of removing those darn Nintendo screws.

For those who aren't aware, Nintendo uses an odd 4.5 mm screw to hold the casing of the GameCube together. Why they do this I'm not completely certain as the mini disc that GC games are on is probably a strong enough deterrent for most pirates but I guess the screws act as an added line of defense. Regardless, the Grizzmeister knows how to circumvent such nuisances to achieve his ambitions. Allow me to share a video that demonstrates how to easily remove those damn Nintendo screws.

Remove those damn nintendo screws

When I arrived at my house I opened the trunk and the smell of urine, animal hair and soot brought back, in vivid detail, all of the memories of the house I had just rescued the two GameCubes from. Job one was going to be to remove the cases off of these babies and wash them with an anti-bacterial dish soap that I keep handy. Immediately I set to work creating my Bic pen 4.5 mm tool with unerring skill that would make even John MacGyver proud. :D Moments later I had the casing off of the first unit and then the other. In to the drink they go as I dip them both in to a kitchen sink full of scolding hot water, and start going over them with a Scrunge sponge coated with the aforementioned anti-bacterial soap. I allow them to soak about five minutes and then extract them so I can dry both units with a towel. Once that's done I set them on my back deck to finish drying completely in the warm rays of the North Carolina sun.

Now on to the base unit where the electronics are mounted; since I can't just toss this part in to water for obvious reasons I decide to take my nearly industrial strength vacuum cleaner and have it suck off as much debris as it can. And believe me it did! Both GameCube's internal fans and circuit boards were crusted with dust and hair.

Again I feel a cold chill run through me as I suspect that neglect and house pet attacks may have rendered the GC's too badly abused to be restored without incurring major expense. I think to myself, there's no way that a cat or dog has pissed on these things without seriously ruining the fine electronics inside. With that in the back of my head I must admit to not being particularly ginger when going over the Cubes with the brush tip of my vacuum. The words of Ivan Drago reverberate though my head as I boldly proceed, "If he dies, he dies".

More interruptions! Guess I'll have to start again later... I hope."