Grizz's sub collections

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Nov 28 2008, 11:28 AM

"While there's no doubt that the Cubes had indeed gotten moist from animal waste, the person who posted the original ad on Craig's List claimed that both units were working to some extent. Thinking back to that ad which had led me to believe that I could cannibalize parts from the two GameCubes to possibly restore one, I was again inclined towards the hope that had set me on this epic quest in the first place.

It was time to ascertain for myself what exactly the problem with the two GameCubes really was. After doing the best that I could with the vacuum cleaner; that is, after making sure I'd removed all the visible hair and dust from the electronic components and laser of each GameCube I connected the proprietary power cord to the more ragged of the two machines. I anxiously watched for a few moments just to make sure nothing sparked or started to smoke. After that test passed successfully I then connected the AV cable to the back of the GC and gently placed Wave Race Blue Storm on the spindle above the laser. I didn't expect much to happen when I switched on the power but to my surprise the GameCube logo came up immediately! I didn't allow that to excite me too much as I figured the logo was probably embedded on RAM and the unit wasn't actually reading the disc. Boy was I surprised when the Wave Race title screen along with jaunty race theme came up just a brief moment later!! Was this the unit with the faulty controller port, I thought to myself? The laser seemed to be moving across the disc with no problem as evidenced by the fact that the music wasn't skipping or even slightly garbled. Yeah this had to be the GameCube with defective controller inputs I again reasoned; so I grabbed my trusty platinum GameCube controller that I've been using with my Wii to enjoy Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and plugged it in to controller port 1 of the plucky little purple GameCube. F**k me!!! When I hit start on the controller the game responded with out even a whimper from the GameCube's internals. Then on to the next test, I selected the first course in the game as that would quickly demonstrate whether subtle controller inputs from the analog stick were also being received and interpreted correctly from what I was starting to believe was a bulletproof piece of Nintendo engineering genius. Sure enough, I went through all the tracks in the beginner championship with the Cube responding flawlessly to my masterful control of the virtual Jet Ski. I had won first place on every course and correspondingly also gone on to win the overall championship.

As the Wave Race victory ceremony commenced on screen I thought, dang... I'm now the proud owner of yet another working GameCube. This was certainly the unit that the original owner had concluded "has a worn CD motor" but in all probability only had a dirty laser. In that somewhat hypnotic moment of satisfaction I was again hauntingly reminded of those sorrow filled blue eyes of that precocious young girl in that smoky country house back in Mebane, North Carolina.

To be continued..."

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
"Before you start to believe that this story is going to take a turn towards Nabokov's Lolita please keep in mind that I'm a happily married man who prefers women to young girls.

It is sad that the young lady back in Mebane had lost something of value to her which was so easily repaired, but rest assured that in a couple short years her fancy will be far removed from something as frivolous as a Nintendo GameCube. Adolescence awaits her and with it much greater joys and sorrows than those game machines could ever possibly provide.

The question has been asked as to why I would undertake this burden. Why would a person who owns a Wii an Xbox 360 and even a fully operable GameCube feel moved to repair two forlorn GameCubes? I could give the same cryptic answer that mountain climbers give for undertaking the hardship of scaling to a peak, "because it's there" but the more honest answer is probably - because I can.

So at this point in the story I now have two working GameCubes. What can I do with them? Sell one to make enough profit so that the one I keep is actually free. Sure I could do that but I could just as well purchase some Nintendo Broadband Adapters and use them to create a LAN for one of my all-time favorite games Mario Kart Double Dash.

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is actually an incredible piece of software that was overlooked by many fans who never experienced the game as it was truly meant to be. At the bare minimum, players should go through the courses in co-op with one person acting as the driver and the other in the rear of the kart assuming the role of gunner. It is only then that the game starts to reveal the layers of depth that Nintendo brilliantly bestowed upon it. To fully appreciate the genius of this masterpiece further a proper LAN configuration is in order and I now almost have that capability within my grasp.

Excuse my digression, but as you can see multiple GameCubes only add more possibilities to enrich LAN gaming. It was with this thought in mind that I set to work on the second GameCube given to me. Would I be as lucky with it as I had been with the other?"

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm here because of Sage's thread. Simone is a 8/Fuck!

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
This dude probably has the greatest game collection ever. Bar none.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I'm calling it now. This eventually will end up in the "Best of" NG.com threads.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
The conclusion to my story of how I came to own several Nintendo GameCubes.

"I had a pretty good idea what to expect when I started working on the second purple GameCube that had been so generously donated to me. Since the control inputs on the first unit worked perfectly I deduced that this second unit was the one with the control problems. One look in controller ports 1 and 2 told me immediately what the issue was. Upon close inspection I noticed corrosion had built up around the metal contacts within those receptacles. The buildup on the contacts was the typical type that electrical components form when exposed to extreme moisture. You've probably seen it yourself as it tends to look a bit moldy green with a white powdery substance around it. Before even hazarding to turn this unit on I used alcohol on a cotton Q-tip swab to rub off as much of the corrosion as possible, then I took a small file and scratched off any residual corrosion I could reach.

I fired up this unit and the GameCube intro screen came up but even though I had a game inside the system wasn't reading it. Maybe I had gotten really lucky with that first unit after all. Again I reached for a Q-tip only this time I doused it in Windex glass cleaner and used that to clean the laser lens. Sure enough, after that simple maintenance procedure the GameCube started reading game data off the disc with no problem whatsoever.

Time to take F-Zero GX for a test run and see if the controller response still has issues - if it did this game would immediately make it evident. F-Zero GX is probably one of the fastest and most difficult racing titles I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Sure it's utterly ridiculous because the game has you believe that you're traveling at speeds roughly around 900 miles per hour, but I must admit that the sense of speed that the game provides is unparalleled on any home console or arcade machine. I chose the insanely difficult track Lightning Half Pipe because one lap on it would tell me everything I needed to know about control inconsistencies. Although I didn't beat my track record I did respectably well and realized that I had fixed this machine too.

So here it is, I now own three working GameCubes. Again I took a moment to reflect on why I had attempted this repair task on consoles that many people consider obsolete. Then it hit me, it must be the God complex that most Armored Core fans are victim to. We just instinctively wish to create and sometimes go even further and breath life back in to lifeless things. I suspect subconsciously that's why I did it. I don't know, maybe I was just bored." :D

The End​

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
You're as long winded as that dipshit Tanooki.

Sometimes a thousand words is worth as much as a single picture. ;)

By the way, I eventually acquired 3 sets of GameCube component cables when GameStop was selling them for just $7 each. Later I turned around and sold the three in this picture for $320. :D

ComponentCables_zpsd9cac2e1.jpg

I play all my GameCube games, including Mario Kart: Double Dash, F-Zero GX and Super Smash Bros. Melee, on my backwards compatible Wii nowadays and component cables for it only cost about 3 bucks from Monoprice. :keke:

GameCube.jpg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
By the way, I eventually acquired 3 sets of GameCube component cables when GameStop was selling them for just $7 each. Later I turned around and sold the three in this picture for $320. :D

If you think bragging about flipping shit you got for cheap will get you in good here you're dead wrong, faggot.

How about a half page essay on why you have girls posing with your fucking Nintendo 64 video games came about and why exactly you felt the need to do so

Last edited:

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
If you think bragging about flipping shit you got for cheap will get you in good here you're dead wrong, faggot.

How about a half page essay on why you have girls posing with your fucking Nintendo 64 video games came about and why exactly you felt the need to do so
First, I didn't buy those component cables with the intention of "flipping" them. Second, I'm not a "faggot". Lastly, don't you like to look at pictures of sexy women with awesome games? If not then maybe it's you who is the "faggot". :spock:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
First, I didn't buy those component cables with the intention of "flipping" them. Second, I'm not a "faggot". Lastly, don't you like to look at pictures of sexy women with awesome games? If not then maybe it's you who is the "faggot". :spock:

C-C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Who the hell writes down exactly how they came to get a gamecube?

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm embarrassed to admit it but I have about 6 GameCubes now. I just kept finding them at various places dirt cheap. So now I have everything I need for a really nice Mario Kart: Double Dash!! LAN setup as I snatched-up several Broadband adapters back when GameStop had 'em on sale for just a dollar.

DoubleDashLANParty-1.jpg

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Hey faggot,

Can you ask Simone if she's okay with someone shitting on her chest during sex and maybe getting paid for it? Asking for a friend.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Note to self: the secret to meeting women is regaling them with long winded tales of multiple Gamecube acquisitions. Thanks OP!