Golden Axe region swap...

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I recently picked up a Golden Axe Set 5, US region board...

Petty as it may sound I kind of like the extra intro and cheesy blood at the character select menu...does anybody know if a rom swap is possible on these boards to switch it over to a Set 4, JAPAN region??

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I recently picked up a Golden Axe Set 5, US region board...

Petty as it may sound I kind of like the extra intro and cheesy blood at the character select menu...does anybody know if a rom swap is possible on these boards to switch it over to a Set 4, JAPAN region??

You'll need to find out which roms it is, but it should be a pretty easy swap. I would think it would only be a couple that need reburned.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
You'll need to find out which roms it is, but it should be a pretty easy swap. I would think it would only be a couple that need reburned.

Indeed...I was thinking the same thing...I emailed the guy from the SegaResurrection.com site and he wasn't sure it was possible to do...

Curious if anybody has successfully tried this...

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Compare the two romset filenames. They're usually labeled with the position on the board they go to. Compare whatever is in the 'child' MAME set to the 'parent' set. The ones in the child set are the different ones you'll need to swap between the two versions (if they are compatible, which they should be 99% of the time).

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Golden Axe is one of my all time favorite arcade games and I was thinking of doing the exact same thing...just never got around to it yet.

I know I have the files somewhere and will let you know how it goes.
The only difference is I have a Set 2 i8751 board and yours is a FD1094 board.
You'll need to remove the encrypted CPU and use a standard 12MHz 68000.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Golden Axe is one of my all time favorite arcade games and I was thinking of doing the exact same thing...just never got around to it yet.

I know I have the files somewhere and will let you know how it goes.
The only difference is I have a Set 2 i8751 board and yours is a FD1094 board.
You'll need to remove the encrypted CPU and use a standard 12MHz 68000.

Cool! I just ordered the resurrection kit, which has the new CPU if I recall correctly...

Yeah let me know how the swap goes and I'll make sure to do the same to my board:D

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
It worked perfectly. That guys head popped off like a champagne top :p