ESPRaDe PCB Error

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Hey guys, I've got an ESPRaDe that works most of the time, but about three times (out of 30ish) has shown this error message: "adr err code sr pc"
It appeaed just as it should've gone from the title screen to attract mode (after first booting up) once, and another time after playing a couple games, maybe while I was trying to start a game. Game works perfectly most of the time. Is this likely a cold solder joint issue on the surface mount chips? or something else?

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Flex the board and see you can reproduce the error that way.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Flex the board and see you can reproduce the error that way.

definitely do not do this

adr error is maybe an addressing error, no idea about the error code. do you see any traces that look nicked? feel any chips get particularly hot?

you could check the surface mount chips to see if any of the legs are lifting a bit or touching each other etc.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
1. Trying the board again tonight, it's not booting up at all; just showing garbage (that looks like a sync issue) when powered up. (that's what it was doing later the other night after the error showed up)

2. There are a few questionable traces on the back of the board. A few scuffs/scrapes. None I can say definitely have severed traces, but should be buzzed out. The traces are fine enough I don't trust my eyes to track down all questionable traces.

3. I don't *see* any bad solder joints on surface mount chips, but again, that's the sort of thing I could easily overlook.

Is there anyone who works on these boards with some regularity? I'm not incompetent at board work (particularly pinball stuff) but this is finder traces and more delicate solder joints than I'm used to.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Gave it another look, and the front of the PCB is definitely flexed. That makes me think bad solder joints on surface mount chips.

Who's a good person to do that sort of work?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I can take a look at it if you want.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
I can take a look at it if you want.

I'd really appreciate if you'd give it a look! Tried to send a PM but your inbox is full