Idea for a video game

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I've been thinking about making a sumo based fighting game in which you battle weirder and weirder opponents as you progress. Here's some concept art I did.

FongandSkag.jpg

As in real sumo wrestling - the goal would be to knock the opponent out of the ring. What would make the game unique, however, is the momentum based physics that would force players to use high level strategy to work their adversary towards the edge. What do you think, sound like fun?

Attachments

• FongandSkag.jpg
    FongandSkag.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 250

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Sounds, ummm funky...

Also, plz change avatar. You look like xorfen.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks!

Now I can't decide if I'd want to make the game 3D or make it look like a modern interpretation of an SNK game. What do you think?

Changed my avatar now that I don't have to use one of the preset options. :D

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Sounds like a silly game, I like the premise.

I want to make a game that's easy to pick up and play but deep enough to keep serious fighting game fans like myself playing to find new strategies.

Here's a boss character I came up with for the single player portion of the game.

Scorpianmanconcept.jpg

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I too want to make a game on the Dreamcast and maybe the Neo Cd i have some conceptual drawings of characters which I might post when I'm ready. Any way I hope your game turns out sweet. Your idea is very inspirational and encouraging to me thanks.

Last edited:

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I too want to make a game on the Dreamcast and maybe the Neo Cd i have some conceptual drawings of characters which I might post when I'm ready. Any way I hope your game turns out sweet. Your idea is very inspirational and encouraging to me thanks.

It warms my heart to know I've inspired someone's artistic talents. Good luck with your project!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
There have been a number of sumo games released in (obviously) Japan. I've tried several of them but wasn't terribly impressed--when you're used to the WWF/WWE, WCW, ECW, etc., sumo is pretty boring in comparison. Here's a link to the Hardcore Gaming 101 article for a variety of the 2D ones if anyone is interested:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/sumo/sumo.htm

I've also never been much of a fan of ring-outs in fighting games in general, sure, there's skill involved, but I find it much more satisfying to deplete my opponents' life meters through fisticuffs, not pushing/knocking them out of bounds.

Your art of the scorpion/devil hybrid guy is kind of cool, reminds me of D&D Scorpion Men.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
3 digits? they all have three, only.

I think it would only really sell if it was an ''xtreme'' type of game?

with those enemies I imagine it being like having something like a rpg part where your sumo guy does a bunch of boring crap to charge up his holy powers or he can't win the battle parts?

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
3 digits? they all have three, only.

Several reasons why I did that; first, I like the stylized look and also because it's fewer things to animate if I go the 2D route with the game.

I think it would only really sell if it was an ''xtreme'' type of game?

Yes I envision the game I'd like to create as an "Xtreme" interpretation of Sumo in the same way that Super Smash Bros. is an extreme re-imagining of king of the hill. Of course, I'm sure the focus of my game will continue to evolve as it gets play tested.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I understand that you want "momentum based physics", but without enough true fighting game hallmarks, things could come across as too party game-ish.

So..you should implement the deashi (出足) cancel. How do you ask?

You see, every character should have a special deashi starter attack (overhead). If an overhead attack is successfully landed, a shadow-esque frame of animation remains hanging over the opponent keeping them hit-stunned. From here you may cancel certain normals into other normals, normals into other specials and specials into other specials. KEEP IN MIND , there will be SOME rigidity/limitation to this system. It will not function as a mashy-esque "custom combo".

Whether these deashi's require meter, well that's your choice. Those who are truly skilled should have the ability to finish deashi combos with moves that can be linked into other deashi's to extend combos further! Sure, this may appear excessive, but there must be an incentive for the voracious to take things to extremes.

So if this deashi cancel is so dangerous, just never block low right? Wrong. You see, the flab juggle system will also be present, where an opponent can be lifted off of the ground with a sweep and caught by an air throw! This creates potentially extreme ring out oppertunities!

You should have death matches too.

Ring outs can be followed by explosive barbed wire, electric eels, vats of poison etc.

You are welcome, best of luck, when this gets off the ground and changes the world PM me for my mailing address for the royalty checks.

PS: An opponent CANNOT be pushed back when blocking an attack.

Last edited:

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I understand that you want "momentum based physics", but without enough true fighting game hallmarks, things could come across as too party game-ish.

So..you should implement the deashi (出足) cancel. How do you ask?

You see, every character should have a special deashi starter attack (overhead). If an overhead attack is successfully landed, a shadow-esque frame of animation remains hanging over the opponent keeping them hit-stunned. From here you may cancel certain normals into other normals, normals into other specials and specials into other specials. KEEP IN MIND , there will be SOME rigidity/limitation to this system. It will not function as a mashy-esque "custom combo".

High level tactics are what separate button-mashers from fighting games with legitimate depth. One of my all-time favorite fighting games is Weaponlord and what I like about it is the way it allows for so much creativity with combos. So yeah, I'd want to incorporate something more than just simple 2-in-1's but I also want to avoid making the fighting engine so complex as to intimidate new players.

Ring outs can be followed by explosive barbed wire, electric eels, vats of poison etc.

This sounds like fun and may fit well within the fantasy context that my concept drawings suggest.

If I ever stop working 12 hour days maybe I'll finally get back to work on actually making my game concept a reality. :rolleyes:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
you should have the out of stage be filled with monsters and tentacles, electricity and molten lava. depends what part of the stage you get pushed out of, depends how you die.
reminds me a bit of Fatman and Death Braid with the character designs so far.
you should have different satanic sects who have summoned up these monsters so they can eventually take on the son of god and become king of earth and heaven, and stuff

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm sorta envisioning a sumo game with a camera that zooms in and out like Samurai Shodown II. Maybe expand on Aah! Harimanada but with my superior character design and deeper gameplay.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What system do you want your game on?

Because it matters what system this guys bullshit game idea appears on? You're full of terrible questions.

But to answer your question umm I dunno maybe the Dreamcast 2.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
this thread is so sad. if a 13 year old made this thread i wouldn't have been surprised. grizzbo made it and i'm still not surprised i guess.

"guys here's my great(shit) idea for a video game and absolute zero knowledge of how to make it a reality."

SAD

edit: jesus fucking CHRIST, dude's shitty scorpion boss drawing is dated January 2012. wonder how many other forums he's spammed his video game idea with just like his craigslist whores.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
this thread is so sad. if a 13 year old made this thread i wouldn't have been surprised. grizzbo made it and i'm still not surprised i guess.

"guys here's my great(shit) idea for a video game and absolute zero knowledge of how to make it a reality."

SAD

edit: jesus fucking CHRIST, dude's shitty scorpion boss drawing is dated January 2012. wonder how many other forums he's spammed his video game idea with just like his craigslist whores.

Even worse, it looks like its dated 1992 to me

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah but you're probably using an ancient Japanese computer that can't use dates after 1999.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
they look like sketches for a 2AM, 15 minute adult swim show. the two things in the first pic are the main characters and the scorpion devil is their boss. the show follows their Beavis & Butthead style exploits as they continually upset their boss and get themselves into trouble.

CrystalCore

Crazed MVS Addict
I've been thinking about making a sumo based fighting game in which you battle weirder and weirder opponents as you progress. Here's some concept art I did.

FongandSkag.jpg

As in real sumo wrestling - the goal would be to knock the opponent out of the ring. What would make the game unique, however, is the momentum based physics that would force players to use high level strategy to work their adversary towards the edge. What do you think, sound like fun?

It's certainly not something you see every day. I wonder if even Japan has made a game like that involving Sumo.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
don't be fooled, this guy is mentally ill

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Crystal buddy dont awaken the grizzbo, before you know it youll be holding n64 carts in his house, having your photo taken, being murdered with a knife and then drawn as a 'character' in a game idea that will never be. Dont be fooled.

If you analyse, like we have, his drawings and cross reference them with his actual photo then you can see that the left character depicts his normal self as he visualises in his own mind. The drawing on the right being his 'monster' self, the one that draws in unsuspecting prey. This is a pretty basic serial killer trait.

Last edited: