Genesis Namco Inserts

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Probably me just being paranoid, but recently bought this and took out the insert and it feels thicker than a normal genesis insert. Is this normal for namco games?

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Probably me just being paranoid, but recently bought this and took out the insert and it feels thicker than a normal genesis insert. Is this normal for namco games?

Yes. NamCo inserts are different. Rolling thunder 2 and 3 have the same kind of insert.

At first I thought I was screwed over with my Splatterhouse 1 and 2. They use thicker paper.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
As I thought, thanks. Namco really outdid themselves with these inserts, they are much sturdier and thicker than regular genesis ones.

also asked the guy to ship it in a box, he said ok dont worry bro I ship things safely and ships it in bubble wrap+soft paper envelope. Luckily the thing didn't get damaged.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
As I thought, thanks. Namco really outdid themselves with these inserts, they are much sturdier and thicker than regular genesis ones.

Yes they are very thick and sturdy unlike the very thin ones that come with most genny titles.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It's funny because I only noticed this a few years after when I bought a rolling thunder 2 game with no manual. Checked the insert and although the print looked to be on point, the paper was different. Contacted the seller and told him he sold me a fake insert and he said he did not know it was fake and gave me a partial refund. Down the road I purchased a Rolling Thunder 3 cart from a different seller same situation No Manual just case, insert, and game. Same thick paper insert, that's when I checked my Splatterhouse games and saw that they were using the same insert paper as well. Poor guy gave me a partial refund when he sold me a legit item. My bad.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
I tried my google-fu and nothing came about this, so now if people search for it they will see all is normal. Before I posted here I was using my batman detective skills to see if any of the matched scans matched this and no dice, in fact the one I saw scanned is cut off slightly.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I tried my google-fu and nothing came about this, so now if people search for it they will see all is normal. Before I posted here I was using my batman detective skills to see if any of the matched scans matched this and no dice, in fact the one I saw scanned is cut off slightly.

I tried to Google it as well and nothing. I just assumed it was legit because all my namco games are using the same type of paper. I figured someday someone would create a thread about it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Namco inserts were made to withstand unstable air.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Change the thread name to Genesis Namco Inserts

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The JP inserts are also thick, BTW.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
The JP inserts are also thick, BTW.

Indeed they are. Some of the thickest paper I've seen for this anywhere, sort of card-stock like.
That they are so different gives you another easy check for whether they're genuine, ironically.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Worrying about buying bootlegged Genesis games.

This hobby is beyond fucked.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Worrying about buying bootlegged Genesis games.

This hobby is beyond fucked.

Not worried yet given that the copies are generally pretty poor, but I've already seen a number of people getting fooled by them nonetheless. Recently, someone posted a picture at another forum of the MUSHA Aleste they'd finally snagged, and I could tell just from the box shot that it was a boot. He ended up confirming that and later getting a refund.

So yes, fucked, but everything feels relative when your yardstick is the Neo Geo.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
When I was hunting for a Vampire Killer I was checking amazon who had a few new copies at really good prices. I was thinking to myself, bullshit no way, it's hard enough to find a legit original in good shape. Is it possible you may find a sealed Vampire killer? Yes it is, but at 350, most likely not and on top of that 3 other sellers were selling new copies. It doesn't hurt to ask, maybe these sellers found a secret stash of brand new Vampire Killers in Japan.

Asked them to send me pics of the game. He sent me pictures of a unsealed game that was a boot. Everything was off. The insert color was too dark and the images weren't aligned properly. Back of the insert was missing some txt and when you zoomed in you could see the text was unclear and missing a logo. Cart label was completely off as well. Told the seller it was fake and he replied telling me he did not know, apologized, and removed the listing. I wonder how many people fall for these sellers.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Scary shit with some of the expensive titles especially Eliminate Down, Gleylancer boots all over the place.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Scary shit with some of the expensive titles especially Eliminate Down, Gleylancer boots all over the place.

You can tell those boots by looking at insert color, weight (both insert & cartridge)
I haven't seen any high-end mega drive boot like Neo AES yet............

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Or you could punch two little small holes in the warning sticker and open the cart to know for sure. Eventually that's what people are going to end up doing anyways.

But for the most part it's kind of easy to tell the difference.