Joystick for Genesis /MD

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That it's a great idea skates, I do however feel that having 3 buttons for Saturn games is awesome, that's of course depending on the game.

As for the 3 button Mod stick that I posted, that wasn't me, it was just a pic of a stick I saw and thought looked great.

I've been wanting one of the virtua fighter sticks for a while, hopefully I can find one on the cheap.

IMHO nothing feels better than having the buttons you need for a specific game, no more, no less.

I didn't mentioned the Jamma Genny, but then again I do have one and enjoy it in the cab with an everdrive.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If you're wanting one of those 3 button virtua fighter saturn sticks they seem to still be around pretty cheap. Shipping might kill ya but that's the worst of it.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I like the JAMMA genny idea.

I just threw a genesis padhack into a 3 button real arcade VF (saturn) stick. Who wants a 3 button saturn stick? It's plenty good for my genesis gaming.

This stick:
151002210020.JPG

THATS the one! I've been trying to get a hold of one ever since i decided to make a Genesis stick but for some reason you cant find them for cheap anymore. Not domestically at least

You used to couldnt give those damn things away. Maybe some people had the same idea as us :lolz:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
just got this one in and eh....its trash

i know if these just suck, if this one in particular is bad or if im just spoiled by higher quality but i dont like it at all3e56fdaaf8e6428ebe22db40fa35de11.jpg

Last edited:

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
The Japanese version of that one is nicer (has a micro-switched joystick), but probably wouldn't make much difference to your taste if you found nothing to like in the one you have. For what it's worth, I'm rather fond of the 3B original. It feels like a nice companion to the early games library, and has a great design that matches the console & original controller cues.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've heard that the three button stick is much better than the six, but I haven't used either myself.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

i know if these just suck, if this one in particular is bad or if im just spoiled by higher quality but i dont like it at allView attachment 41999

I had one back in the day and other than cleaning it often, it was decent. A couple decades later, I'm not terribly surprised it's crap.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

i know if these just suck, if this one in particular is bad or if im just spoiled by higher quality but i dont like it at allView attachment 41999

Me and my cousin got one of these for Christmas back in the days to play SFIICE. It helped us do hadokens with out cutting up our thumbs with the original 3 button hard ass d-pad controller. We had blisters on our thumbs.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Me and my cousin got one of these for Christmas back in the days to play SFIICE. It helped us do hadokens with out cutting up our thumbs with the original 3 button hard ass d-pad controller. We had blisters on our thumbs.

On the plus side, you probably mastered the cornerstone skill of alternating punches and kicks with start.
This makes for a good time as any to tip the any to one of the GOATs:

nnGSKqF.png

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I added a discrete output connector to my TE stick (360 with Kitty addon board) and added a matching connector to a common GND 6 button pad (which I know is kinda stupid since it's possible to use an off-the-shelf chip or two to recreate the pad electrically but whatever), I've been pretty happy with that.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
As far as the 2 standard Sega branded sticks, the 3 button stick has a much better feel to me than the 6-button. Since the 6er came out a few years down the road, I suspect that they cheaped out a bit. I didn't have one back in the day, and just recently picked it up on sale (7.50). I'd say it's worth getting for less than $10 if only for brawlers. It's fine for something like SoR3 which utilizes 6 buttons, but doesn't require perfect stick control to execute moves. If you need a 6-button for a shoot em up or fighter, I don't reccomend it.
Here they are side-by-side.
FCCF111A-2C5C-4AAF-8C31-E815FFD63933_zpsbuzuijui.jpg

prof

Has anyone tried the Asciiware SN Fighter Stick? It looks kind of chintzy, but now I'm curious how it handles. I noticed a local shop had one for the Snes, but it looks identical for the Genesis. I was very slightly tempted to grab it, but thought better of it. But now I'm thinking maybe I should go back and grab it? I'm sure it's under $10. Someone tell me it's the abomination that it appears to be.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
On the plus side, you probably mastered the cornerstone skill of alternating punches and kicks with start.
This makes for a good time as any to tip the any to one of the GOATs:

nnGSKqF.png

Probably my favorite controller of all time along with the saturn controller. Just give me a 6 button pad and I'm set.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, it's one of the reasons I don't really care about getting a Genesis stick. I've had a Neo to Genny stick adapter for a while now and I realized I'd rather just use the six button pad than a stick.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
How are the Hori sticks?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I bought an untested Gen 6 button stick and 3 button pad.

Based on past experience, a tear down and good cleaning was all that was needed. It works like new. I will need to replace the cord sooner or later.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
GohanX turned me on to the Hyperkin 6button pads... they're good. just need some breaking in.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Just got through finally finishing my dedicated SEGA GENESIS stick

268646f03c09411d95343d1211ce185b.jpg

Man getting this project done took way longer then it should have. Would have been done sooner but i refuse to
sac a quality/working controller. Luckily I ended up getting hooked up with a cheap ass Chinese 6 button
controller that somebody was gonna trash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291926460937

One look at it and I was actually also gonna toss it too since the dpad had already broken off and it seems like
a horrible controller in general but as i held over the trash bin, a light bulb went off.

PCB was pretty straight forward. i was able to recognize all the signal and ground by sight and got the first try.

I used a TEKKEN 6 wireless shell since i like the compact shells better for non fighting games.
i used low profile PS-15 seimitsu buttons to save space. Case is super shallow. Used grey cuz thats all i had on hand. Im gonna order some blue and black and try to get this thing looking as SEGA as possible.

Wanted to go with the 6 button layout but initially my plugs didnt fit. Will most likely convert to 6 on the next go round.

Both 24mm buttons are start buttons. the far right 2 of the 8 buttons arent wired to anything and obviously the xbox button and the small button in the top left corner are just there to keep the dust out.

Dremmeling the metal to widen the holes was really the worst of it. Fuck i need a better dremmel.

I kept the stock joystick since using anything larger requires some nasty case modification. I did change out the stock switches for CHERRY. The stick has a SUPER short throw which to me, makes it great for shmups and beat em ups but really shitty for fighting games. Luckily thats not what this is for :)

all in all im pleased. No pics of the inside since its fucking mess :P

Will definitely tidy up the wiring after i have my fun with it.

prof

By the way, I ended up picking up the Asciware SN Fighter Stick. It's....all right. I had difficulty pulling off moves in MK and SF. It worked half the time. There is just a mushiness to the stick. Haven't tried it with any shooters, but it worked well enough on the few beat em ups I tried it on. It was worth the $6 it set me back, but I wouldn't spend much more than that. It's fine for games that don't require exact precision in your movements.