Joystick for Genesis /MD

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
What's the best joystick to get for the Genesis/ MD? I got to get me something for my shmups.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
The Capcom one ain't bad either if you need 6 buttons.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Neither of those could outdo a custom stick like the one you built for the Neo previously Marty, just make one for the genny and you'll be all set. I made one for the NES based on the ascii stick which is by far the nicest mass produced stick I've seen for Famicom and yet I feel the one I made is way better. Everything from that era that isn't high grade Ascii or Hori is not even worth the hassle.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Neither of those could outdo a custom stick like the one you built for the Neo previously Marty, just make one for the genny and you'll be all set. I made one for the NES based on the ascii stick which is by far the nicest mass produced stick I've seen for Famicom and yet I feel the one I made is way better. Everything from that era that isn't high grade Ascii or Hori is not even worth the hassle.

QFT.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Yeah, custom stick using new hardware FTW.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Hori Fighting Stick Multi is a good one.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member

I know it bro i should just build one, might just end up doing one. Only thing is i wanted the switches to turn on and off rapid fire. Some of those shmups wear my fingers out.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member

Woody, I checked this stick out looks pretty damn cool. I like how it has a detachable cord for each of the systems. Do you have this stick now?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Woody, I checked this stick out looks pretty damn cool. I like how it has a detachable cord for each of the systems. Do you have this stick now?

I sold it off years ago. But out of all the MD sticks I've owned I thought it was the best. I had the ASCII, Capcom and Arcade Power sticks(3 & 6 button).

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
XE-1 ST2 from Micomsoft. Best of the best.

Best non custom made answer, seconded.

Marty, I've got one of these if you are curious. Ironically, I've no SNES or PCE to try the other cords it comes with.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I sold it off years ago. But out of all the MD sticks I've owned I thought it was the best. I had the ASCII, Capcom and Arcade Power sticks(3 & 6 button).

Of all the sticks I have been looking at the Hori multi would be my only choice. I got a Hori PC fighting stick for my PCE and I really like it a lot. I'm sure this one would be pretty close in feel.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Of all the sticks I have been looking at the Hori multi would be my only choice. I got a Hori PC fighting stick for my PCE and I really like it a lot. I'm sure this one would be pretty close in feel.

It has a completely different feel, the multi is made of plastic.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
An adapter for a 3 button setup can can be done quite easily.

The 3 button controller IC is very simple and uses shelf parts.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

This. Nothing tops a custom stick but if you want a good stick that gives you the ability to also play on your snes and pc engine then the Hori fighting stick multi it is.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just get a Mike Moffit Neo to Genesis controller adapter.

True, you won't have 6 buttons for SF bUT that's probably the only game you would need 6 buttons for anyways.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I know it bro i should just build one, might just end up doing one. Only thing is i wanted the switches to turn on and off rapid fire. Some of those shmups wear my fingers out.
If you opt for the custom route and still would like to have turbo then you could always hack one of them turbo genny pads and add the switches to your stick, it's really not that hard. Some pads have individual switches, others have a general switch.
IMG_9534.jpg

On the other hand the Hori Multi isn't that bad at all.

Here's a mod I actually thought it looked real slick.
2gxkztz.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, that looks really nice. I love that stealth look with the clear buttons and red letters. Came out really good.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
18 replies and no one else has said to get a JAMMA Genesis and use your candy's CP?

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
If you opt for the custom route and still would like to have turbo then you could always hack one of them turbo genny pads and add the switches to your stick, it's really not that hard. Some pads have individual switches, others have a general switch.
IMG_9534.jpg

2gxkztz.jpg

That would be killer to do a hack on one of those pads. Have you ever done that and put in a stick?

Also did you build that stick EG? If so looks badass!

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

2gxkztz.jpg

dat shit is badass.

i still havent gotten around to converting my stripped down T6 shell into a Genny stick but this right here makes me want to go all in.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
True, you won't have 6 buttons for SF bUT that's probably the only game you would need 6 buttons for anyways.

I will note that we played the shit out of Super Champ edition with 3 button controllers.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I had a blast playing with a 3 button stick when I was kid but I don't have patience for that shit now. I still play champion edition from time to time on the Genny. Brings back great memories.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I like the JAMMA genny idea.

I just threw a genesis padhack into a 3 button real arcade VF (saturn) stick. Who wants a 3 button saturn stick? It's plenty good for my genesis gaming.

This stick:
151002210020.JPG

Last edited: