Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joystick for Genesis /MD

Quote Originally Posted by Wachenroder View Post
    Just got through finally finishing my dedicated SEGA GENESIS stick

Attachment 42510

Man getting this project done took way longer then it should have. Would have been done sooner but i refuse to
    sac a quality/working controller. Luckily I ended up getting hooked up with a cheap ass Chinese 6 button
    controller that somebody was gonna trash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291926460937

One look at it and I was actually also gonna toss it too since the dpad had already broken off and it seems like
    a horrible controller in general but as i held over the trash bin, a light bulb went off.

PCB was pretty straight forward. i was able to recognize all the signal and ground by sight and got the first try.

I used a TEKKEN 6 wireless shell since i like the compact shells better for non fighting games.
    i used low profile PS-15 seimitsu buttons to save space. Case is super shallow. Used grey cuz thats all i had on hand. Im gonna order some blue and black and try to get this thing looking as SEGA as possible.

Wanted to go with the 6 button layout but initially my plugs didnt fit. Will most likely convert to 6 on the next go round.

Both 24mm buttons are start buttons. the far right 2 of the 8 buttons arent wired to anything and obviously the xbox button and the small button in the top left corner are just there to keep the dust out.

Dremmeling the metal to widen the holes was really the worst of it. Fuck i need a better dremmel.

I kept the stock joystick since using anything larger requires some nasty case modification. I did change out the stock switches for CHERRY. The stick has a SUPER short throw which to me, makes it great for shmups and beat em ups but really shitty for fighting games. Luckily thats not what this is for

all in all im pleased. No pics of the inside since its fucking mess :P

Will definitely tidy up the wiring after i have my fun with it.
    Good effort! I suggest some plugs, 2 30mm and 1 24mm. I'm still on the 3 buttons or bust but I'm always eager to see new projects!

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    GohanX turned me on to the Hyperkin 6button pads... they're good. just need some breaking in.
    Muthafuckas should pay me royalties I've sold so many Hyperkin pads... (8bitdo too)

Akari's Big Brother

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGrave View Post
    Good effort! I suggest some plugs, 2 30mm and 1 24mm. I'm still on the 3 buttons or bust but I'm always eager to see new projects!
    thanks man

Yeah i ultimately only wanted 3 buttons but i cant bring myself to not activate all 6 buttons if im already using a 6 button pcb. The first 2 PCBS i tried on this project were both 3 buttons PCBS but they both had problems. I honestly wasnt completely convinced this one was gonna work either. thats why i ended up just running through it.

Would have plugged one of the start buttons but i dont have any 24mm plugs. need to place an order on some more 24mm and 30mm plugs along with the blue and black buttons to finish it up.

in any event, i did play some Trouble Shooter and Arrow Flash last night before bed and man im liking those WAY better then on pad.

EDIT:

I noticed that the joystick keeps getting stuck at certain angles and while its good over all its a little unreliable.

Spent about an hour unscrewing and repositioning everything and over and over to see what hell the problem could be. So it turns out the Matsushita switches that come with the Hori stick actually sit a tiny bit lower then the Cherry switches I have. I couldnt tell at a quick glance but after really looking at them i can see it. I guess i'll be using those stock Matsushita switches for the time being....which I dont mind since i actually like them.

EDIT 2:

NOPE the MATSUSHITA switches are actually worse. Spent about an hour undoing everything just to have to redo back to how it was lol

the upside is cleaned up the wiring some and fixed some other minor issues i was having.

So far i have been able to play SF2, TMNT, SHINOBI 3, TROUBLE SHOOTER AND ARROW FLASH with almost no issues

good stick
    Last edited by Wachenroder; 02-08-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Kyo's Flame
    Sunnyvale, CA http://www.twitch.tv/danadamkof

So was the pad common GND? I had a few 3rd party Genesis pads but all were non-common GND, and since it was for a stick I was (essentially) dual-modding I ended up using an official 6-button pad for its PCB (on the plus side it's gotten me playing my Genesis a lot more so that's a win).

Akari's Big Brother

Quote Originally Posted by DanAdamKOF View Post
    So was the pad common GND? I had a few 3rd party Genesis pads but all were non-common GND, and since it was for a stick I was (essentially) dual-modding I ended up using an official 6-button pad for its PCB (on the plus side it's gotten me playing my Genesis a lot more so that's a win).
    yup there is a ground point on one of the unused pins. just daisy chained everything from there.

Rugal's Thug

If you need a joystick for shmugs that needs only 3 buttons, I suggest you get one with 3 normal buttons and 3 rapid fires. So you can use on those games that you can charge or rapid fire a shot. This way you don't need to keep pressing or selecting between turbo or normal. I have one similar to this in the picture since 1993, and it still works great (I just changed the d-pad rubber) sega gen 3 plus turbo.jpg
    If you want go arcade stile, I suggest you the sega arcade stick 3 buttons.
    If you need a 6 buttons do for the original sega with turbo or the arcade stick pro 6 buttons

Good idea!

I was thinking of hacking a maxy pad...as in NES MAX, I was gonna make a custom CP with 2 30mm and 2 24mm buttons for normal and turbo respectively like the maxy pad does. This pad you mentioned sounds like a cool candidate for that job. Ive been thinking of making a 3 stick button set up.

Akari's Big Brother

Quote Originally Posted by gtmartini View Post
    If you need a joystick for shmugs that needs only 3 buttons, I suggest you get one with 3 normal buttons and 3 rapid fires. So you can use on those games that you can charge or rapid fire a shot. This way you don't need to keep pressing or selecting between turbo or normal. I have one similar to this in the picture since 1993, and it still works great (I just changed the d-pad rubber) sega gen 3 plus turbo.jpg
    If you want go arcade stile, I suggest you the sega arcade stick 3 buttons.
    If you need a 6 buttons do for the original sega with turbo or the arcade stick pro 6 buttons
    i think i actually have one of those. either it didnt work or it worked and i couldnt bring myself to sacrifice it cant remember which.

now that you mention, i think thats gonna be the next one i use. its a good plan

Akari's Big Brother

Just got through finally finishing my dedicated SEGA GENESIS stick

Attachment 42510

Man getting this project done took way longer then it should have. Would have been done sooner but i refuse to
    sac a quality/working controller. Luckily I ended up getting hooked up with a cheap ass Chinese 6 button
    controller that somebody was gonna trash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291926460937

One look at it and I was actually also gonna toss it too since the dpad had already broken off and it seems like
    a horrible controller in general but as i held over the trash bin, a light bulb went off.

PCB was pretty straight forward. i was able to recognize all the signal and ground by sight and got the first try.

I used a TEKKEN 6 wireless shell since i like the compact shells better for non fighting games.
    i used low profile PS-15 seimitsu buttons to save space. Case is super shallow. Used grey cuz thats all i had on hand. Im gonna order some blue and black and try to get this thing looking as SEGA as possible.

Wanted to go with the 6 button layout but initially my plugs didnt fit. Will most likely convert to 6 on the next go round.

Both 24mm buttons are start buttons. the far right 2 of the 8 buttons arent wired to anything and obviously the xbox button and the small button in the top left corner are just there to keep the dust out.

Dremmeling the metal to widen the holes was really the worst of it. Fuck i need a better dremmel.

I kept the stock joystick since using anything larger requires some nasty case modification. I did change out the stock switches for CHERRY. The stick has a SUPER short throw which to me, makes it great for shmups and beat em ups but really shitty for fighting games. Luckily thats not what this is for

all in all im pleased. No pics of the inside since its fucking mess :P

Will definitely tidy up the wiring after i have my fun with it.
    Made another one of these. the PCB i used this time is identical except the damn cable is like 3ft,. Basically unusable. I ordered some extension cables.

This go round it was a lot easier since im more familiar with the shell. Much cleaner mod this time.

5079699a0d02b2b8fb63389e87e4870d739145bcef409741b0c673fffa8fa61f.jpg
    1.jpg

I'll probably put some sweet Genny themed art on it in the future.

I ordered a few of these pcbs so i'll probably keep making them just for the hell of it. Not enough good Genesis sticks out there.

Akari's Big Brother

And I just finished 3 button genny mod. i used low profile seimitsu again since the case is so shallow

the stock parts are surprisingly really good. id have kept them intact if wiring them up wouldnt have been a pain in the ass.

did keep the joystick though. easily the best stock hori joystick i have ever tried (hayabusa being the obvious exception)

The internal pic was before i realized i needed to switch from OBSF to low profilie seimitsu.

I really wish Sanwa made low profiles too.

8d0beaed-cb19-527f-9f12-9402f7dc986f.jpga734de41-49b8-5f1d-9e0c-7260d6ff9c22.jpgbed4056d-8c0c-5ed1-9494-a1b8c3621577.jpgdd91a047-b569-5a48-82c3-f77f9d432a7a.jpg

Akari's Big Brother

Goddammit i need to stop!

Super cheap PS3/PC beater shell salvaged and turn into yet another Genesis stick.

Normal Seimitsu buttons, Hori joystick pulled for T5 joystick (not those horrible switches though T5 hori has the worse ever. I switched those switches for better ones)

00303_iuoEn58OjqU_1200x900.jpg00808_lounBwsQpxQ_1200x900.jpg
    Last edited by Wachenroder; 11-11-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Guerilla Warrior

Damn man you are cranking these out, looks awesome.
    "NG.com breaking balls & crushing dreams since '99".

Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.

Goddammit i need to stop!
    No!

Carry on.

Thread Information