Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 63

Thread: Joystick for Genesis /MD

  1. #1
    Guerilla Warrior
    MCF 76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Doucherville, IN

    Posts
    1,731

    Joystick for Genesis /MD

    What's the best joystick to get for the Genesis/ MD? I got to get me something for my shmups.
    "NG.com breaking balls & crushing dreams since '99".

  2. #2
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Islandô

    Posts
    11,137
    XE-1 ST2 from Micomsoft. Best of the best.

  3. #3
    a.k.a. Mother Teresa
    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!
    CORY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Montreal, Qc, Canada

    Posts
    5,257
    The Capcom one ain't bad either if you need 6 buttons.

  4. #4
    Shadow Cutter Dark Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MASS

    Posts
    21,456
    Neither of those could outdo a custom stick like the one you built for the Neo previously Marty, just make one for the genny and you'll be all set. I made one for the NES based on the ascii stick which is by far the nicest mass produced stick I've seen for Famicom and yet I feel the one I made is way better. Everything from that era that isn't high grade Ascii or Hori is not even worth the hassle.

  5. #5
    a.k.a. Mother Teresa
    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!
    CORY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Montreal, Qc, Canada

    Posts
    5,257
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGrave View Post
    Neither of those could outdo a custom stick like the one you built for the Neo previously Marty, just make one for the genny and you'll be all set. I made one for the NES based on the ascii stick which is by far the nicest mass produced stick I've seen for Famicom and yet I feel the one I made is way better. Everything from that era that isn't high grade Ascii or Hori is not even worth the hassle.
    QFT.

  6. #6
    Neo*Geomancer
    wyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL

    Posts
    4,529
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGrave View Post
    Neither of those could outdo a custom stick like the one you built for the Neo previously Marty, just make one for the genny and you'll be all set. I made one for the NES based on the ascii stick which is by far the nicest mass produced stick I've seen for Famicom and yet I feel the one I made is way better. Everything from that era that isn't high grade Ascii or Hori is not even worth the hassle.
    Yeah, custom stick using new hardware FTW.

  7. #7
    Jin's Bodyguard
    WoodyXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, TX

    Posts
    3,488
    Hori Fighting Stick Multi is a good one.

  8. #8
    Guerilla Warrior
    MCF 76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Doucherville, IN

    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGrave View Post
    Neither of those could outdo a custom stick like the one you built for the Neo previously Marty, just make one for the genny and you'll be all set. I made one for the NES based on the ascii stick which is by far the nicest mass produced stick I've seen for Famicom and yet I feel the one I made is way better. Everything from that era that isn't high grade Ascii or Hori is not even worth the hassle.
    I know it bro i should just build one, might just end up doing one. Only thing is i wanted the switches to turn on and off rapid fire. Some of those shmups wear my fingers out.
    "NG.com breaking balls & crushing dreams since '99".

  9. #9
    Guerilla Warrior
    MCF 76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Doucherville, IN

    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    Hori Fighting Stick Multi is a good one.
    Woody, I checked this stick out looks pretty damn cool. I like how it has a detachable cord for each of the systems. Do you have this stick now?
    "NG.com breaking balls & crushing dreams since '99".

  10. #10
    Jin's Bodyguard
    WoodyXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, TX

    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF 76 View Post
    Woody, I checked this stick out looks pretty damn cool. I like how it has a detachable cord for each of the systems. Do you have this stick now?
    I sold it off years ago. But out of all the MD sticks I've owned I thought it was the best. I had the ASCII, Capcom and Arcade Power sticks(3 & 6 button).

  11. #11
    King's Dry Cleaner
    Gyrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX

    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    XE-1 ST2 from Micomsoft. Best of the best.
    Best non custom made answer, seconded.

    Quote Originally Posted by MCF 76 View Post
    Woody, I checked this stick out looks pretty damn cool. I like how it has a detachable cord for each of the systems. Do you have this stick now?
    Marty, I've got one of these if you are curious. Ironically, I've no SNES or PCE to try the other cords it comes with.

  12. #12
    Guerilla Warrior
    MCF 76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Doucherville, IN

    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    I sold it off years ago. But out of all the MD sticks I've owned I thought it was the best. I had the ASCII, Capcom and Arcade Power sticks(3 & 6 button).
    Of all the sticks I have been looking at the Hori multi would be my only choice. I got a Hori PC fighting stick for my PCE and I really like it a lot. I'm sure this one would be pretty close in feel.
    "NG.com breaking balls & crushing dreams since '99".

  13. #13
    Jin's Bodyguard
    WoodyXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, TX

    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF 76 View Post
    Of all the sticks I have been looking at the Hori multi would be my only choice. I got a Hori PC fighting stick for my PCE and I really like it a lot. I'm sure this one would be pretty close in feel.
    It has a completely different feel, the multi is made of plastic.

  14. #14
    . norton9478's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sombra Corporation

    Posts
    29,954
    An adapter for a 3 button setup can can be done quite easily.

    The 3 button controller IC is very simple and uses shelf parts.
    There was no immunity to cuckoo ideas on Earth.
    Here was the reason human beings could not reject ideas because they were bad: "Ideas on Earth were badges of friendship or enmity.
    Their content didn't matter. Friends agreed with friends, in order to express friendliness. Enemies disagreed with enemies, in order to express enmity.

  15. #15
    Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    5,411
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    Hori Fighting Stick Multi is a good one.
    This. Nothing tops a custom stick but if you want a good stick that gives you the ability to also play on your snes and pc engine then the Hori fighting stick multi it is.
    Last edited by RAZO; 10-24-2016 at 01:44 PM.

  16. #16
    JammaNationX
    Xian Xi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waipahu, Hawaii

    Posts
    27,473
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF 76 View Post
    What's the best joystick to get for the Genesis/ MD? I got to get me something for my shmups.
    Just get a Mike Moffit Neo to Genesis controller adapter.

  17. #17
    Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    5,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    Just get a Mike Moffit Neo to Genesis controller adapter.
    True, you won't have 6 buttons for SF bUT that's probably the only game you would need 6 buttons for anyways.

  18. #18
    Shadow Cutter Dark Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MASS

    Posts
    21,456
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF 76 View Post
    I know it bro i should just build one, might just end up doing one. Only thing is i wanted the switches to turn on and off rapid fire. Some of those shmups wear my fingers out.
    If you opt for the custom route and still would like to have turbo then you could always hack one of them turbo genny pads and add the switches to your stick, it's really not that hard. Some pads have individual switches, others have a general switch.


    On the other hand the Hori Multi isn't that bad at all.

    Here's a mod I actually thought it looked real slick.

  19. #19
    Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    5,411
    Yea, that looks really nice. I love that stealth look with the clear buttons and red letters. Came out really good.

  20. #20


    Yoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    My Island

    Posts
    696
    18 replies and no one else has said to get a JAMMA Genesis and use your candy's CP?

  21. #21
    Guerilla Warrior
    MCF 76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Doucherville, IN

    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGrave View Post
    If you opt for the custom route and still would like to have turbo then you could always hack one of them turbo genny pads and add the switches to your stick, it's really not that hard. Some pads have individual switches, others have a general switch.




    On the other hand the Hori Multi isn't that bad at all.

    Here's a mod I actually thought it looked real slick.
    That would be killer to do a hack on one of those pads. Have you ever done that and put in a stick?

    Also did you build that stick EG? If so looks badass!
    Last edited by MCF 76; 10-24-2016 at 09:29 PM.
    "NG.com breaking balls & crushing dreams since '99".

  22. #22
    Akari's Big Brother
    Wachenroder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGrave View Post
    If you opt for the custom route and still would like to have turbo then you could always hack one of them turbo genny pads and add the switches to your stick, it's really not that hard. Some pads have individual switches, others have a general switch.

    On the other hand the Hori Multi isn't that bad at all.

    Here's a mod I actually thought it looked real slick.
    dat shit is badass.

    i still havent gotten around to converting my stripped down T6 shell into a Genny stick but this right here makes me want to go all in.
    Last edited by Wachenroder; 10-24-2016 at 10:57 PM.

  23. #23
    . norton9478's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sombra Corporation

    Posts
    29,954
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    True, you won't have 6 buttons for SF bUT that's probably the only game you would need 6 buttons for anyways.


    I will note that we played the shit out of Super Champ edition with 3 button controllers.
    There was no immunity to cuckoo ideas on Earth.
    Here was the reason human beings could not reject ideas because they were bad: "Ideas on Earth were badges of friendship or enmity.
    Their content didn't matter. Friends agreed with friends, in order to express friendliness. Enemies disagreed with enemies, in order to express enmity.

  24. #24
    Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    5,411
    I had a blast playing with a 3 button stick when I was kid but I don't have patience for that shit now. I still play champion edition from time to time on the Genny. Brings back great memories.

  25. #25
    Genyosai's Servant
    skate323k137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Earth, Dimension C137

    Posts
    2,969
    I like the JAMMA genny idea.

    I just threw a genesis padhack into a 3 button real arcade VF (saturn) stick. Who wants a 3 button saturn stick? It's plenty good for my genesis gaming.

    This stick:
    Last edited by skate323k137; 10-25-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •