PSP 2000 LCD screen spots !FUNGUS ALERT!

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I took my psp with me in my bag in a soft monster hunter leather case on a trip. When I got it out to play after a very long time I noticed some spots on the LCD screen all arround. It may got squized a little bit in my bag while being protected in its leather case, I can't tell for sure. If this is the matter, then they do have very very sensitive LCD.

Any ideas if it can be fixed and how?

Any help will be much appreciated
Thanks
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
looks like pressure damage to the LCD screen.
There is no real way to repair it, you need to replace it.

Luckily, PSP2000 screens are dirt cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LCD-Scr...art-For-SONY-PSP-2000-2001-Slim-/221331718165

Replacing them is fairly easy too, just open the console, flip open the flat flex slots for the backlight and the screen itself, and insert the new one.
Be careful with the screen's connector on the motherboard, it's long and easy to break if you try to lift it from one corner. lift it from both corners.

Also, try not to get any dust on the new screen, or under the screen plate. A can of compressed air will help with that.
while you're in there, clean the dust out from under the buttons and the speakers.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Do you have a screen protector on the screen?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My 3000 did this after it was in storage when I was moving. I wonder if its some moisture that got between the case and the LCD, but I never bothered to try to fix it.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
My 3000 did this after it was in storage when I was moving. I wonder if its some moisture that got between the case and the LCD, but I never bothered to try to fix it.
It had a lot of months since last usage and it may be some moisture....because it can't really become squizzed on the sides arround the LCD.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
See, if I wasn't ghosted, you'd have replaced your screen by now.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
One month has passed since my pics on the first post and now I put out the console and this thing looks much worst.
It looks like fungus!!!
IMG_0188.JPGIMG_0189.JPG

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Try popping it open and cleaning it.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
My 2000 has had this issue for years, and I searched all over for a solution but could never find one. One of the reasons is I didn't know what to call it. I believe mine is also due to moisture, specifically humidity. It's the sexy ass Vader one, so if there's a solution, I'd love to find it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You could try the cell phone rice bag trick. Couldn't hurt.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Rice bag trick is stick the psp in a bag of rice and let it sit in there for awhile, the rice will absorb moisture. PPl do this when they drop their phones in the toilet and tell ppl it fell in the sink

I might have to try it myself, i have small spots on mine, i live in houston so its pretty humid in these parts. Once i stop being lazy i need to fix that and then get my psp setup for some emulation action.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, dried rice absorbs moisture, so placing a device in a sealed bag with rice for a few days can save a device.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
yeah, put your electronics in a bag full of rice and enjoy your PSP full of rice dust.

Just buy a bunch of desiccant bags instead, like silica gel.
They work faster and you don't get dust everywhere.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I tried the rice but didn't help. I put it in a bag for 2 weeks.

So I ended up ordering a new genuine LCD from ebay for 19€ shipped. Ebay is full of them and they are pretty cheap.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I didn't realize that was even an option. Awesome.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Let us know how it looks. I have a 3000 that has a more rounded look of your issue.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Problem is I have to effectively disinfect somehow the area arround the LCD inside the PSP or fungus will move to their new home :)

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
LCD was replaced and it's quite simple to do. The only problem I encountered is that all LCDs on ebay are fake and not original. So the one I purchased for 19 euros stayed on the side. They have inferior colours. Sony didn't sell parts of PSPs. Their policy was to replace the unit with a new, if still in guarantee, or with a refurbished if out of guarantee. There aren't any new spare parts arround.

I found a used like new arround here and swapped mine. It plays great now but I hope the new LCD doesn't get infected by possible remaining Fungus spore in the future. I used a lot of alcohol but you never know.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So, what you're saying is...

There's a fungus amongus.

Spoiler:
I'll see myself to the door.