Nintendo Switch

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The gimmicks will likely be set aside quickly. Notice there are very few waggle or motion control games on the latest consoles.
It's ok to throw lots of ideas out at first and see what sticks. It would be a problem if they continued to throw out gimmicks.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
A certain website here in the UK were selling Switch consoles for £198.50. They put preorders at that price before a price was announced and then had to honour it. Anyway, rather than admit their mistake and look like idiots, they decided to go with it and offer the rest of their stock for the same price yesterday. I applied, but I didn't get the email with the link unfortunately. I'm guessing it was a very small amount and it was all a big publicity stunt. It worked. Their whole website was crashing most of yesterday.

Doesn't look like I will be getting one for launch.

NeoLucian

New Challenger
For me the price is just too high (especially with no real internal storage) and the Pro Controller price is a complete piss take

I had a quick look on amazon (very quick)

Switch Console £279.99
+ Pro Controller £64.99
+ Zelda Game £49.99
+ 128GB SD Card £38.99

Total £443.96

Limited Edition Gears of War 4 Xbox One Console
- Includes Controller
- Gears of War 4 game
- 2TB Internal Hard Drive
Total £399.99

Sony Playstation 4 Pro
- Includes Controller
- Call of Duty Game
- 1TB Internal Hard drive
Total £373.99

I personally cannot justify the price

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
For me the price is just too high (especially with no real internal storage) and the Pro Controller price is a complete piss take

I had a quick look on amazon (very quick)

Switch Console 」279.99
+ Pro Controller 」64.99
+ Zelda Game 」49.99
+ 128GB SD Card 」38.99

Total 」443.96

Limited Edition Gears of War 4 Xbox One Console
- Includes Controller
- Gears of War 4 game
- 2TB Internal Hard Drive
Total 」399.99

Sony Playstation 4 Pro
- Includes Controller
- Call of Duty Game
- 1TB Internal Hard drive
Total 」373.99

I personally cannot justify the price

You don't need the pro controller, I bought one for my Wii U and it probably has been used twice since purchase. Also you don't need an SD card if you buy physical games.

However, I do agree the cost of the base unit it too high. They could have at least included 1-2 switch which looks like a tech demo ala Wii sports

NeoLucian

New Challenger
You don't need the pro controller, I bought one for my Wii U and it probably has been used twice since purchase. Also you don't need an SD card if you buy physical games.

However, I do agree the cost of the base unit it too high. They could have at least included 1-2 switch which looks like a tech demo ala Wii sports

Agreed, you dont need the Pro controller but I found the WiiU gamepad crap for everything other than Mario Maker so I found myself always using the WiiU Pro Pad and I never got on well with the original Wii controllers either so those Joy-Con ones with the Switch look like they would be far too small for my sausage fingers

I think not including a game was a mistake, however remember the Wii, alot of people purchased it but didnt really buy many more games, they tended to stick to Wii sports

3havoc

n00b
Picked up my Switch, fun little system with Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Bomberman R. Personally I'd recommend the pro controller since the joy-con controller isn't exactly the most comfortable thing in the world for long sessions.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I was weak and got one. Had the day off work, a shop local to me had stock, and I have a store card with 0% finance for 12 months. Couldn't resist.

All I have done so far is play Zelda, but that has been incredible. I've personally found the joycon controller pretty comfortable, so I am in no rush to get a Pro controller.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My Switch stuff arrived at my office today. Alas, I am not there...

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm waiting on my USPS drop for Zelda and Super Bomberman R. Got the system home and setup around 1am last night. Shocked and not about certain stuff in good ways. Compares well in size/weight to my shield tablet. Joycons are small but with the slide on added piece it's comfortable the same as a GB Micro was so it works. I had been fence sitting on the Pro controller but $70 blows. After pulling the joycon controller holder out of the box and slotting them into it, I see no reason to own it. It's comfortable and tapping around it was effortless and smooth. I think it'll be for those OCD types who just feel they need that controller more often than not for a practical reason. I used the d-pad button array there now to navigate and it was fine for me at least.

Menu, and happily noting the eshop were smooth, sleek, fast and the eshop felt like a PSN like refined setup on PS3/PS4 which is a good thing. Menu system in general is smooth and minimalist in a good way so it's there, functional, but not annoying to get around or time consuming. They took a tablet type approach to ease with it and that's a good thing.

Can't wait for the 8th when Blaster Master 0 drops, that's a must for me.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm gonna wait a bit but is bomberman any good? I'm def interested in Puyo Pop Tetris, looks cool. I think this system could go the distance if the library keeps going in the direction it started. Niche games with the Nintendo vibe, I also wouldn't mind some "ports" of the current gen games on the other systems but that could lead them into trouble more than help them. Kinda like N64 had Resident Evil 2 and such, it's kinda meh but fun I guess.

fluxcore

Another Striker
I'd be much more interested in a cheaper SKU with no dock or grip - just the 'handheld' version. Sounds like BOTW runs better undocked anyway :)

But really, I'm going to most likely wait until Shin Megami Tensei.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Couriers screwed up my Switch pre-order stuff. Had to drive out and get them myself.

Got two systems. One is for my older brother. He's not much of a gamer but he showed some interest in this and said he wanted one.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Going to open up mine tonight. Got Zelda & Bomberman. Also ordering Snipperclips. I haven't really played a Zelda game since the SNES but for some reason this one appeals to me. Cant believe a pro controller cost $75 WTF Nintendont! Hopefully these will hold me off till Ultra SF2 comes out, looks like the $40 price for it is the same as the jap price. Way too high for a lot of people, at least less scrubs though.

3havoc

n00b
I'm gonna wait a bit but is bomberman any good? I'm def interested in Puyo Pop Tetris, looks cool. I think this system could go the distance if the library keeps going in the direction it started. Niche games with the Nintendo vibe, I also wouldn't mind some "ports" of the current gen games on the other systems but that could lead them into trouble more than help them. Kinda like N64 had Resident Evil 2 and such, it's kinda meh but fun I guess.

Super Bomberman R isn't bad 8 player mode is pretty hectic, story mode hass 2 play co-op its not bad but its not great. Haven't had a chance to play online as I am without an solid net connection so not exactly I can test but it does feel like a bomberman game unlike one game that came out on the I think xbox.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Going to open up mine tonight. Got Zelda & Bomberman. Also ordering Snipperclips. I haven't really played a Zelda game since the SNES but for some reason this one appeals to me. Cant believe a pro controller cost $75 WTF Nintendont! Hopefully these will hold me off till Ultra SF2 comes out, looks like the $40 price for it is the same as the jap price. Way too high for a lot of people, at least less scrubs though.

Lol, money has nothing to do with scrubinness. Keep us posted on Ultra though, I rather have your opinion as a HDRchump over the casual opinions. I'm not getting one yet 'cause I miss the chance to preorder and I'm not hunting ATM, but I will get one sooner or later, I'll get Ultra if I see it in the meantime so I can be ready though.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
This was Nintendo's best launch ever in the US. Zelda also outsold Mario 64 as the best-selling standalone launch title.

In Japan it barely beat the Wii U, though there are other factors at play there culturally. For example, it sold just under the PS4's first weekend numbers.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
So I'm gonna grab one in December. I'm hoping for revisions and a stronger build quality by then.. Plus Mario. I'm honestly glad I waited. I just worry so much that they will change something fast. The dock scratches I could remedy easily from happening, but that screen cover should be fucking glass, and there are videos of this thing shitting the bed.

My concern is all the quick swapping of the parts on this thing at some point is gonna just wear and break something permanently and you're fucked. I do tech repairs, so it's easy for me, but the average person does not have that skill. If I can score a sweet deal on a broken one I might grab that and repair it. I did that with my 3DS XL. I got it for 90 bucks around the link between worlds released and fixed it. Still works. Also, DO NOT PUT STICKERS ON YOUR CONTROLLERS. The rubber is like that same bullshit on the Wii U analogs, it'll pull right off it. I hate my Wii U analog. The rubber has literally broken down ad you can rub that shit into a sticky mess over usage.

USB charge cable location needs to go immediately for me. If I wanna just lay in my bed and play it while I charge it, that's gonna get in the way. Not good.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I returned Bomberman for a refund, damn game is just broken. The game is just lagged from what time you press a button to what it does on screen. I know it's not infamous input lag as no other game on any system 1985-present does it on my TV. It made playing story mode a nightmare, and that first blue bomber boss a luck based nightmare trying to catch him in a chain reaction blast. What you see on screen doesn't line up to when you press the button for fast bomb placement let alone trying to corner a brick quickly either.

I used the money from that piece of shit to order I Am Setsuna from YesAsia because the game will fire up in English on a US system (or french if you have that selected too.) Cost me $44 shipped since the company does free shipping on orders $39 and higher. Given it's a $40 rental from the eshop, seemed like a really good deal to me.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I returned Bomberman for a refund, damn game is just broken. The game is just lagged from what time you press a button to what it does on screen. I know it's not infamous input lag as no other game on any system 1985-present does it on my TV. It made playing story mode a nightmare, and that first blue bomber boss a luck based nightmare trying to catch him in a chain reaction blast. What you see on screen doesn't line up to when you press the button for fast bomb placement let alone trying to corner a brick quickly either.

I used the money from that piece of shit to order I Am Setsuna from YesAsia because the game will fire up in English on a US system (or french if you have that selected too.) Cost me $44 shipped since the company does free shipping on orders $39 and higher. Given it's a $40 rental from the eshop, seemed like a really good deal to me.

I haven't had the chance to open up my bomberman yet, could it be because of your display being laggy or is lag on the Switch display too?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I ruled that out before I even had the Switch, then again I've also got Zelda and it's 1:1 just fine even on some really tight tricky guardian (in shrine) combat. My 30 year old NES stuff runs 1:1 just fine and pre-HD stuff is notorious for being rotten on newer TVs. When I got the one I have now (inherited) and the one before I both checked them using that displaylag.com site and they've both rated under excellent (under 25ms~). The TV can handle pissy stuff like space shooters and Punchout fine, so it's got to be the game.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I ruled that out before I even had the Switch, then again I've also got Zelda and it's 1:1 just fine even on some really tight tricky guardian (in shrine) combat. My 30 year old NES stuff runs 1:1 just fine and pre-HD stuff is notorious for being rotten on newer TVs. When I got the one I have now (inherited) and the one before I both checked them using that displaylag.com site and they've both rated under excellent (under 25ms~). The TV can handle pissy stuff like space shooters and Punchout fine, so it's got to be the game.

I did some research & looks like you're right. Says Konami is invistigating right now. I guess ill hold off from opening it or just return & rebuy later. This is sad, was going to have an 8player bomberman this Friday.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm still having lag with my joycon controller. It'll work fine for a while and then the input will just stop working properly. I was getting about a 1 second delay last night, between pressing a button and it happening, and it made Zelda unplayable on my TV. I heard this can happen from interference? I don't really know what would be interfering though.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I'm still having lag with my joycon controller. It'll work fine for a while and then the input will just stop working properly. I was getting about a 1 second delay last night, between pressing a button and it happening, and it made Zelda unplayable on my TV. I heard this can happen from interference? I don't really know what would be interfering though.

There are quite a few reports on YT of various QC issues - dead pixels, the dock scratching the screen, the joycon controllers being rather flimsy in their attachment to the unit etc.
Also some reports of Zelda dropping to as low as 20fps when playing on a TV in FHD.
I was not that hot on the Neo Geo X inspired 'console+handheld in one' gimmick to begin with, and the quality issues together with a pretty lackluster launch line up are making me hold off on the purchase.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's honestly not a bad idea, wait till a future batch that fixes the bugs. It reminds me a lot of the 3DS launch. It doesn't really bother me though since traditionally I've been able to sell/trade in old Nintendo hardware when a new one comes out without paying much for the upgrade. I'm on my 4th 3ds now, the launch one was the only one I paid significant coin for.