Nintendo Switch

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
No Metroid, just because it's not a Miyamoto franchise, it's treated as an orphan. Well, with Yokoi-san's demise, it also seems true.
It's still under Tanabe, so hopefully it'll stay true to the Prime form. Mind, Prime 3 wasn't that great, so I'm going to curb my expectations.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I liked the Yoshi demo. The Daemon X Machina demo was lame though. I'd rather play one of the PSP Macross games for that type of gameplay.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I liked the Yoshi demo.
The style of these games is pretty cute, and now I don't have to buy a shit used Wii U to play it. Has that fore/background projectile mechanic been used much in other games? Hoping it'll be a decent game to play with my Mrs. if I can scoop it used for well under $85... :thevt:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's still under Tanabe, so hopefully it'll stay true to the Prime form. Mind, Prime 3 wasn't that great, so I'm going to curb my expectations.

Thanks for the hint, opt2not... and yeah, we all have to curb our expectations at some point, it's the only way to hold them.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Nintendo is a strange company. I think their output during the NES/SNES days has left me with a lasting impression about their generation of new dynamic I.p.'
which is just not realistic. They made their bed 30 years ago and have been sleeping in it ever since. One needs to come to terms with this

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I'd rather have literal Wind Waker style graphics than what was revealed.
I was fairly turned off too. I absolutely love all of the remakes of the Saturn/PS1/N64 3D games, because those have aged like milk. But remaking 2D games into 2.5D without something akin to Arc Systems' quasi-2D magic just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather play with the original sprites, at least if they're post-5200ish level.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Started playing Dragon Quest Rivals yesterday. It's a pretty fun Hearthstone/Shadowverse clone with its own unique twists. And unlike the smartphone version, the Switch version is playable without having to set up a VPN.

I'd rather have literal Wind Waker style graphics than what was revealed.

Ew, hell no. The art style in the LA remake could be better than how it is now, but I'll gladly take it as-is over something that looks like Cellda.

I liked the Yoshi demo. The Daemon X Machina demo was lame though. I'd rather play one of the PSP Macross games for that type of gameplay.

I was seeing a lot of negative impressions online, so I went in to the demo expecting a janky mess. Instead, I was greeted with an above-average Armored Core clone. I'm guessing there aren't many fans of Armored Core style mech games out there.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
How does everyone feel about the original Links Awakening? For me it's up there as my favorite 2d zelda and right behind majoras mask as favorite in the franchise. I prefer the more personal Zelda titles. The ones where you're not on some epic journey to rescue the world. The music is also one of my favorite from the franchise. They really made some magic on that game boy's sound chip.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Awakening is up there with aLttP as my favourite Zelda title. It’s amazing what they managed to squeeze into that tiny cartridge... the game has so much personality and character to it. The introduction of the trading system was quite awesome too. Although I was less that blown away when I finally had a go on the DX version many years later just to do the exclusive colour dungeon; it’s a bit underwhelming.

Thing is, if this remake sells well then they’ll more than likely do Minish Cap in the same style. And even Ages/Seasons, depending on how things stand with Capcom on those.

fake

15 Year Member
I like Link's Awakening a lot. It was one of the first games I got when I got a Pocket. BUT, the two times I tried to beat the game, it glitched. For some reason, I do what I need to do to get the Snorlax out of the road but it never disappears. I'm going to try it again on 3DS, since I got the free Virtual Console download.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Awakening is up there with aLttP as my favourite Zelda title. It’s amazing what they managed to squeeze into that tiny cartridge... the game has so much personality and character to it. The introduction of the trading system was quite awesome too. Although I was less that blown away when I finally had a go on the DX version many years later just to do the exclusive colour dungeon; it’s a bit underwhelming.

Thing is, if this remake sells well then they’ll more than likely do Minish Cap in the same style. And even Ages/Seasons, depending on how things stand with Capcom on those.
This would be a fun one.

I was always amazed at others playing Link's Awakening and wondered how so much detail and content could be on a portable, but didn't actually play through it until college when I got a copy in a lot. Fantastic game, gameplay holds up well.

My only gripe with the game, and it's a nitpick, was having to go through the text explaining when you got the power or defense boosts and it stopped everything. That's it

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Link's Awakening is the 2nd best Zelda game, and Adventure of Link is still #1.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
The worst part of Link's Awakening is having to constantly go into the menu to switch items.

It is also the secret best Zelda, along with Zelda II.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
They made their bed 30 years ago and have been sleeping in it ever since. One needs to come to terms with this

Well, it's ok if a company like Nintendo decides to go this way, since coming to terms with this would mean to leave the whole video game business behind. Big N is big with real estate, they have significant cash reserves and low liabilities. For them going the Disney route is ambition but also fan service, since they don't need to make games to survive, quite the opposite, they take losses making them. Being commercially unsuccessful doesn't mean being bad at what you do and Nintendo's qualities to produce games still shine very bright. Sure, it's always the same with just more contemporary looks, that's undeniably what they do best, though.

Changing the style of Link's Awakening is still questionable. The target audience are kids that grew up with computer animated films, instead of hand-drawn ones. I gather that's the reasoning behind the new look. But at the same time, those kids grew up within totally different console/handheld generations, which changed game design significantly. Those kids will presumably never want to embrace this cleverly conceived link to the past of gaming history. Why should they? At the same time, Nintendo excludes fans from back in the day with their single-sided design choice. The brilliant gameplay will remain untouched, but sympathies probably won't.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I was seeing a lot of negative impressions online, so I went in to the demo expecting a janky mess. Instead, I was greeted with an above-average Armored Core clone. I'm guessing there aren't many fans of Armored Core style mech games out there.

The Yoshi game is very pretty but they should have had the guy who did Wooly World's Music on this game.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
After playing the Yoshi demo, it appears that they are keeping with a low difficulty level again. What made the original so damn good was the fact that it was a challenging platformer. It will be fun to run thru quick with the kid but I'll be still hungering for a challenge when its all done.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I picked up Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, and Final Fantasy 9 recently. I missed out on Super Mario U when it was on the WiiU (never bought one), so I was happy when they brought this to the Switch. Good value and a lot packed into that game.
FF9 is pretty much the PC port of the game. I just love playing it on the Switch for the suspend mode alone. Can’t wait till FF7 is out!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I picked up Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, and Final Fantasy 9 recently. I missed out on Super Mario U when it was on the WiiU (never bought one), so I was happy when they brought this to the Switch. Good value and a lot packed into that game.
FF9 is pretty much the PC port of the game. I just love playing it on the Switch for the suspend mode alone. Can’t wait till FF7 is out!
I enjoyed NSLU better than the base game, mainly due to the challenge and the time limits. I didn't get quite that much of a thrill with NSMU, but if you haven't played any of the other New Super Mario games it's legit

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
wtf, why does Tetris 99 require Nintendo's online sub? I thought it was supposed to be free to play.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
After playing the Yoshi demo, it appears that they are keeping with a low difficulty level again. What made the original so damn good was the fact that it was a challenging platformer. It will be fun to run thru quick with the kid but I'll be still hungering for a challenge when its all done.

I had the same impression when I played Woolly World but by the time I reached world 4, I was already cursing and shouting at the screen.

fake

15 Year Member

Getting every sunflower, red coin, etc. is definitely a challenge is Wooly World. The Poochie obstacle course levels are very difficult. If you just run through the game, it'll be easy. But if you try to make it challenging, it will be. Which makes sense. Both kids and adults are going to want to play Yoshi games.

The only things that threw me off on the Crafted World demo were that Yoshi seemed out of focus, like the depth of field of the camera was off, and that you now have to use the d-pad / stick to aim. (Other game, you just hit R and the angle that Yoshi throws the egg shifts around until you let go.)

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
While not switch related reggie is retiring from running noa.

This was unexpected but i won't miss him he was to much of a yes man for nintendo.Any time they made mistakes,he had excuse for the company.Though at least he had no problem rolling with the punches when it came to the memes.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Not sure if officially announed before, but a hat in time is coming to Switch, along with a new Kunio fighting game (the later is coming to ps4 / pc as well):