Nintendo Switch

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Finished up installing the shell kit that has a dpad. Gives it a nice Panda theme, although I'd prefer all black. I am glad that the white isn't a fingerprint magnet like the regular gray and black. Unfortunately my right joycon gave it's life and I can't figure out why, had to get another one.

The dpad feels excellent on this. The buttons underneath are microswitched, so you get a nice satisfying click, kinda like a DS/3ds dpad but larger and more comfortable. The paint they put on it has almost worn off already, it will be solid black in a few more days I think.
c3185e71ecad2ea802cf85a534e06318.jpg
1c1259906d86e949c39ee338a595a414.jpg

-SD-

Camel Slug
That looks really nice. An option that should have been officially available from the beginning.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Yeah it looks nice but more importantly I'm glad to hear the dpad works/feels good - will probably pick up one of those.

Just got my flip grip in, pretty disappointed tbh. Build quality overall is pretty poor and it jams the volume buttons down when you slide the Switch in so you almost always get either 0% or 100% volume. Maybe I'm not doing something right, but the joycons do not slide on very well either.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It is better, but I like the placement on the pro controller better. I'll still probably use an 8bitdo pad or a pro controller when hooked to the TV over using the joycons in the little grip thing. I did play Strikers 1945 and Garou with the cons in the grip and didn't have any problems.

The only thing is that it doesn't feel like a typical Nintendo dpad, so it doesn't feel like a SNES controller or anything. It's more like the Vita or 3DS dpads but larger. It doesn't turn it into a top tier dpad but it's very good.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Hey guys, I've been itching to use my SEGA Saturn HSS-0130 "Dual Arcade Stick Pro" with my Switch, particularly for Street Fighter 30th Anniversary and other fighters and general arcade games.

After months of searching for a solution I have found one that works, but sadly the input lag is atrocious. I've not seen any other comments about this setup that mention the input-lag. I did not do any formal tests on the lag, but I did test against using the standard joycon, and the amount of lag compared to joycon is easy to spot when playing.

I'll show a pic of the setup below, but to list out what I used to connect the HSS-0130 to the switch:

HSS-0130 -> Mayflash SS Controller Adapter for PC USB -> Mayflash Universal Adapter Ultimate for XBOX ONE/XBOX360/PS3/PC USB -> Mayflash Magic-NS for Switch -> Nintendo Switch

arcade switch.jpg

Verdict: Not useful if you want a competitive setup for games that require low latency, eg. STG and fighters.

Last edited:

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Three adaptors in a row, what did you expect. ;)

I hear ya. My expectations were not high, but I did have some hope considering all the other folks who have tried this state that the input lag is non-existent. They are... incorrect.

Hoping there will be another, useful solution to connecting original Saturn controllers to Switch.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Dude just replace the PCB with a universal one and build a neutrik connector for the Saturn...

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
^this

For the price of all those adapters, you could probably get 2 Brook UFB’s.

Sure, but I'd prefer to keep my controller stock. I might pull the trigger on it though. I have looked into it and it does look quite good. For now I'll just stick to playing on my NAC. I'll probably put the money towards the PCBs for the real games anyways... Thought the Switch setup would be simple and portable enough to be my side bitch, but I guess not.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Using a Hori RAP V, with Hayabusa stick and buttons on the Switch. Probably the best stick for the Switch.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Using a Hori RAP V, with Hayabusa stick and buttons on the Switch. Probably the best stick for the Switch.

That one does look nice. Thought about picking one up, but I already have too many sticks - so am trying to adapt them. Probably a good idea to just mod my HSS-0130. I just feel bad about not keeping it stock. I know that makes me sound like a bitch, but I guess we all have a bit of bitch in them.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Won't mod it neither, it's an awesome Saturn stick and I would also keep it that way.
Modding a PS4/One/Switch stick with a Brook universal board is something completely different in my eyes.^^

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Sure, but I'd prefer to keep my controller stock. I might pull the trigger on it though. I have looked into it and it does look quite good. For now I'll just stick to playing on my NAC. I'll probably put the money towards the PCBs for the real games anyways... Thought the Switch setup would be simple and portable enough to be my side bitch, but I guess not.

There are ways of doing this in a reversible non-destructive way.

Use sticky pads to mount the PCB internally, use the existing wire holes for your USB cable output, disconnect the quick-disconnects from the buttons and the JST connector from the Joysticks. Then just wire the buttons and Joysticks to the UFB’s.
This can all be achieved without cutting anything, and you can return it to stock later if you want to

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
There are ways of doing this in a reversible non-destructive way.

Use sticky pads to mount the PCB internally, use the existing wire holes for your USB cable output, disconnect the quick-disconnects from the buttons and the JST connector from the Joysticks. Then just wire the buttons and Joysticks to the UFB’s.
This can all be achieved without cutting anything, and you can return it to stock later if you want to

This is cool. Got any links that outline this process?

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
This is cool. Got any links that outline this process?

Nah, just what’s in my head from my recent experience modifying my own HSS-0130.
But as an arcade cab owner, surely you’ve had to some wiring maintenance, so this mod should be fairly straightforward.
If you open up you HSS, you can see how things can be disconnected and new parts arranged in that space (there’s a lot of room in there).

If you need guidance, we can continue this discussion through PMs.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Nah, just what’s in my head from my recent experience modifying my own HSS-0130.
But as an arcade cab owner, surely you’ve had to some wiring maintenance, so this mod should be fairly straightforward.
If you open up you HSS, you can see how things can be disconnected and new parts arranged in that space (there’s a lot of room in there).

If you need guidance, we can continue this discussion through PMs.

Thanks. Pretty sure I could handle this. Just would like to see how other folks did it. Probably not going to do this anytime soon as I have a baby arriving in just a matter of days. My Birthday is in the spring and if I make it that far I'll splurge on something. Could be this stick mod, maybe a Super SD System, or perhaps a new JAMMA pcb... Imagining what I'll buy myself is part of the fun ;-) I will for sure keep this in mind though. Any pics of your process available?

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Thanks. Pretty sure I could handle this. Just would like to see how other folks did it. Probably not going to do this anytime soon as I have a baby arriving in just a matter of days. My Birthday is in the spring and if I make it that far I'll splurge on something. Could be this stick mod, maybe a Super SD System, or perhaps a new JAMMA pcb... Imagining what I'll buy myself is part of the fun ;-) I will for sure keep this in mind though. Any pics of your process available?
My situation was somewhat different since I got my HSS already hacked up (messily), and I wanted to be able to swap real Astro City panels onto it since I have multiple configurations for my NAC.
Also, my HSS is wired for retro consoles using MC Cthulu’s. So I had to not only cleanup the messy hack, but also re-wire the entire thing to the standard AMP-Up connectors that sega used for their cabs.
Unfortunately the previous owner also installed Neutrik RJ45 and DB15 ports (for superguns) , destructively. So as I was working on updating it, I was thinking about how I would have done it in a way to reverse it to stock. No big deal though, my HSS is awesome now, I just can’t get it back to stock.

Here’s how it was modded before:
NRSPt37.jpg

After clean-up/rewiring:
COpAKzC.jpg

Currently has my Smash TV twin-stick panel installed, but I can put any of my sega panels in by unscrewing some screws and swapping connectors:
1KxrTDD.jpg

Ports on the back:
bDoAZTB.jpg

Eventually I’ll update it for current consoles, most likely sacrificing the MC Cthulhu’s and RJ45 support to go UFB and USB ports. But that’ll be later if I feel like it ;)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
My situation was somewhat different since I got my HSS already hacked up (messily), and I wanted to be able to swap real Astro City panels onto it since I have multiple configurations for my NAC.
Also, my HSS is wired for retro consoles using MC Cthulu’s. So I had to not only cleanup the messy hack, but also re-wire the entire thing to the standard AMP-Up connectors that sega used for their cabs.
Unfortunately the previous owner also installed Neutrik RJ45 and DB15 ports (for superguns) , destructively. So as I was working on updating it, I was thinking about how I would have done it in a way to reverse it to stock. No big deal though, my HSS is awesome now, I just can’t get it back to stock.

Here’s how it was modded before:
NRSPt37.jpg

After clean-up/rewiring:
COpAKzC.jpg

Currently has my Smash TV twin-stick panel installed, but I can put any of my sega panels in by unscrewing some screws and swapping connectors:
1KxrTDD.jpg

Ports on the back:
bDoAZTB.jpg

Eventually I’ll update it for current consoles, most likely sacrificing the MC Cthulhu’s and RJ45 support to go UFB and USB ports. But that’ll be later if I feel like it ;)

Good Lord that clean up is leaps and bounds better.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Thanks! I’m happy how it turned out. Took a few hours, but it was worth it now that it’s a bit more modular.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member

Absolutely gorgeous! Did you make those panels yourself? I'd love to know your source for that!

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Absolutely gorgeous! Did you make those panels yourself? I'd love to know your source for that!
Thanks, it’s pretty sweet. It was awesome putting this panel on my NAC for twinstick shooties on a big arcade monitor. One day I need to pick up a Total Carnage pcb. I’ve got Robotron and Smash TV already. TC would complete the set.

No, I didn’t make it. I bought it off NEgO MANIAC a couple years ago, I think he might have got it custom built or built it himself. Not sure.