Nintendo Switch

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Anyone here playing Octopath Traveler? I've been enjoying the game. I really love the visuals, especially when you see the sprites being dynamically lit and shadows being casted from them. I've been going through Chapter 1 of each class so far (traveling to each city I encounter and only doing Chapter 1's of each character class I encounter). So far the story is just individual ones for each class, I'm waiting for it to open up and connect all the storylines with an overarching one. Some people don't like the choose-your-path, individual stories... but I kinda like it. It reminds me of Legend of Mana for the PSX, except without having to place city tiles on the map.

Combat-wise it's your standard turn-based affair, except with Break system similar to other recent JRPGs out there. But the Break and double-up system makes the combat more exciting and strategic.

From the reviews I've skimmed, the main gripe is that the stories don't interconnect. I find that hard to believe. The Kotaku review ripped this game apart, but the others have all said it's good, if not great. I'm still definitely interested, but I think I'll wait until the fall when there are buy-two-get-one deals.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
From the reviews I've skimmed, the main gripe is that the stories don't interconnect. I find that hard to believe. The Kotaku review ripped this game apart, but the others have all said it's good, if not great. I'm still definitely interested, but I think I'll wait until the fall when there are buy-two-get-one deals.

Yeah I'm not convinced that the character's storylines don't converge at some point in the game. My assumption is that after you get through each character's storyline, the endgame connects together. But if they don't, I really wouldn't be disappointed. I find a few of the character's storylines to be pretty engaging.

I started off with the Thief, added the Huntress, and then the cleric to my party. I just got to a town with the Dancer, and I gotta say her storyline is pretty dark. I dig the darker stories, and hope to see more in this game.

btw, if you have an 8bitdo SN30, it plays really well with Octopath. Gettin' my old Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger feels here!
1Mri3Hw.jpg

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Yeah I'm not convinced that the character's storylines don't converge at some point in the game. My assumption is that after you get through each character's storyline, the endgame connects together. But if they don't, I really wouldn't be disappointed. I find a few of the character's storylines to be pretty engaging.

I started off with the Thief, added the Huntress, and then the cleric to my party. I just got to a town with the Dancer, and I gotta say her storyline is pretty dark. I dig the darker stories, and hope to see more in this game.

btw, if you have an 8bitdo SN30, it plays really well with Octopath. Gettin' my old Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger feels here!
1Mri3Hw.jpg

Pre-ordered mine and it came in yesterday. Finishing up some other stuff, but most likely I'll play either this or Ys VIII as the next long RPG

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The Kotaku review ripped this game apart, but the others have all said it's good, if not great.

Oh man, critics... I remember like Alisia Dragoon (Mega Drive) was deemed below average by the German press of its day. The Hardcoregaming101 review of Fausseté Amour (PCE CD) is still totally negative...

...the stage designs are boring, consisting of haphazardly placed platforms and enemies. There are way too many instances where you need to make blind jumps and end up either falling into a pit or slamming into an enemy...

If they had played it, they'd know that it's the opposite, with platforms and foes exactly timed, forcing you to remember all traps and breeze through them afterwards. Critics... meanwhile physical copies of Octopath Traveler are almost sold out in Japan.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I have finished Octopath Traveler demo and I was definately sucked in. Today I picked a physical copy (although they are sold out almost everywhere) and intend to finish the game asap. I have picked the Merchant and the Knight so far. There is no big story or something to unite all heroes but I have seen this to every other title so I enjoy a simpler story at this time. Graphics and cocept is unique and very well presented in portable mode.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

1Mri3Hw.jpg
There's a specific set of sidequests you have to finish in order for the group storyline at the end to start. Sounds like it's very easy to miss, seeing as most reviewers thought there wasn't any connection at the end at all. I didn't read the full article because I didn't want to see any spoilers (if there were any), but Kotaku had an article on it and I'm sure it's in other places now too.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I'm stoked to at some point play OT demo, and then perhaps the full game, but I'm still deep into BOTW. At 390 hours, with only 2 divine beasts defeated, I think I will get over 500 hours out of the game. Perhaps upwards of 700 hours with the DLC. I love BOTW soooo much. I'm doing _everything_ in it. To be honest, I'm a bit worried that nothing will compare to the experience I'm having with it, so will need to temper my expectations for whatever I play next. So far, OT looks like the best bet for me, as I would be too embarrassed to play Xenoblade 2 and have my wife walk in and see the huge anime tits on my screen and get mad at me for breaking my promise to never look at anime tits again. After that one time she came home early from a girls-weekend and caught me and my waifu hanging out in VR together our marriage almost collapsed. I messaged Lukemorse1 for support and he really helped me and my wife out. I also reached out to The Immortal John Hancock for advice, but he told me to delete the wife, and continue grailing for my MVS collection.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
There's a specific set of sidequests you have to finish in order for the group storyline at the end to start. Sounds like it's very easy to miss, seeing as most reviewers thought there wasn't any connection at the end at all. I didn't read the full article because I didn't want to see any spoilers (if there were any), but Kotaku had an article on it and I'm sure it's in other places now too.

I was assuming that the group storyline kicks in after you've done the Chapter 2 parts for your characters. I haven't got there yet so I'm not sure. But I could have missed the side-quest, but that's all I've been doing lately, so maybe I should go back to my starting area and see if I missed it. Side-quests, leveling up all classes to 20, and looking for Shrines for secondary jobs is primarily what I'm doing for now. I've uncovered a lot of the map so far, and with fast travel between towns it'll make it easier later when I start my Chapter 2's.

Edit:

Got a link? I was trying to find that article on Kotaku, but I must be blind today.

Edit again:
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/2...er-offers-socialization-without-losing-focus/

"Octopath Traveler’s travel banter only kicks in from the second chapters onward."

^ That's what I was assuming.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Had to buy micro sd to play nba2k18. So dumb you have to download like the other consoles.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Sure.

Schreier himself had quite the time finding how to do it.
Dammmmmmn! That's awesome. I'm going to work on finishing all the chapters soon, then start on this quest-line. Thanks for the link.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Psikyo Collection Vol. 1 getting a physical release in asia, $35.

Includes:
- Gunbird
- Samurai Aces
- Strikers 1945
- Sol Divide

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Psikyo Collection Vol. 1 getting a physical release in asia, $35.

Includes:
- Gunbird
- Samurai Aces
- Strikers 1945
- Sol Divide

Saw that and already hoping for a Vol 2:
Gunbird 2
Zero Gunner 2
Dragon Blaze
Gunbarich

That would make sense given all are currently on e-shop.

I'm also eyeing Psyvariar Delta physical release.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Diablo 3 for Switch confirmed.

Polygon: Report: Diablo 3 coming to Nintendo Switch this year.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/15/17693878/diablo-3-nintendo-switch

Blizzard Entertainment has dropped some serious hints about bringing the Diablo series to the Nintendo Switch in some form, and it looks like the rumor has been confirmed: Diablo 3 is coming to the Nintendo Switch.

Details from a leaked report state that the Switch version will cost $59.99 and will include Diablo 3, the Reaper of Souls expansion and the game’s Necromancer class. Up to four players can adventure together on a single Nintendo Switch system, and up to four systems can be linked together without a Wi-Fi connection if everyone would like their own screen. The game is also said to include new Ganondorf-themed armor unique to the Switch version.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
For anybody owning Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, is it better to just plug the Switch in directly to Ethernet for online matches? I thought my online connection was pretty good, but every match has been so laggy.