Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

Ozma War Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Yep. I'm excited about them finally having the best (dedicated) portable hardware as well as not having to split their resources across two major platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_b View Post
    Not splitting up focus is the biggest factor for me. They could easily carry one system by themselves.
    I guarantee you this isn't their only product. The president of Nintendo has even said that this is just the first in an ecosystem of new products.

Mudman's Mask Designer

Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    Nintendo should just stick to making handheld systems and games. They've been the best in the handheld market since the original game boy. That seems to be the only thing they are good at now in days. Just let SonY and Microsoft duke it out with the real consoles.
    Thats basically what They're doing, except it docks to display on tv when home, and you can use an optional controller when at home.

I feel like it's a handheld first, home console second.

Personally i think the idea is great. There have been so many times i wished I could easily play handhelds on tv, but its either not possible, a pain in the ass like the PSP, costly (GB Player), or looks like shit PSP again.

I like the portable focus, as I leave the house. Im not going to be lugging this thing to the basketball court, but trips to visit my family, this thing will be a godsend "if"it has good games and I get some portable next gen gaming on the go. I hate packibg up my whole PS4 to take for extended trips. This thing will be awesome to for downtime on vacations.
    Last edited by greedostick; 10-27-2016 at 10:56 PM.

Beaten in 2017: Not a Damn thing! But the Year is Still Young.

Close to Completion:
    Bravely Default - Skyrim (pc) - Dragon Quest IX -

Games I can't beat that make me violent:
    Solomon's Key (nes) (fuck Solomon and his damn key) - Festers Quest - R-Type - Ghost Pilots

[B]

Shermie's Secret Admirer

I don't think you can read target audience for the product into that teaser. Think about who the audience is for the teaser five months before launch. It's people who follow the industry closely that are probably 20-40ish and who primarily buy games for themselves. That's who is represented in the trailer.
    I understand your argument, yet it not only sounds like an excuse, it merely is one. This presentation was official and world wide. Everybody saw it, the rest will see it soonish, so to assume Nintendo just wanted to address "people who follow the industry" is not logical*. It's their statement about their highly awaited new product. And it sucks.

Look, non of those people "represented" in this trailer will buy a Nintendo console, not even close, simply because it's a toy and not a ueber-conceptual multi-, social media center like SONY's & Microsoft's offerings. It's not even up to date technologically, but very Japanese in it's appearance -- non of which will satisfy a western hipster weather he is close to the industry or not.

Personally, I like Switch (except for the name, though) but this trailer is preposterous and on a strictly professional level of marketing, it's just a failure. Nintendo probably wanted to link to some parts of the Wii clientele, that bought it for those stupid but fun party games. Or maybe they just want that kind of a bland, trivial and empty image for themselves now? Hopefully this presentation was just a misunderstanding and will be corrected, for this kind of marketing is going nowhere.

Spoiler:
    *Not that Nintendo would had it with logic, I can almost taste the conversation that took place...

Boss-Kimishima: Mr. Pi-aL, stlategy, prease!

PR-man: Hi, Kimishima-san! But why are you using occasional Engrish-talk?

Boss-Kimishima: Gaijin-cheat, of coulse!

PR-man: Hi! Here's stlategy:

Phase ONE: We will discourage the Gaijin to buy our new Switch product, by appealing to cold mindless hipsters in our presentation, so to make him buy old Wii U product, he didn't want to buy anyway. Klismas is safe!

Phase TWO: Then we will "Switch" (haha!) stlategy and encourage him to buy our new product, through happy ord people in new trailer.

Boss-Kimishima: ...and childlen?

PR-man: Hi, Kimishima-sama, and lots of Gaijin childlen in all corols of Lainbow + brack.

Boss-Kimishima: O.k., then remains only but one question: why is the Japan chick so fat?

PR-man: Kimishima-sama! We studied the gaijin. A fat woman represents wealth to them. Therefore: Fat Japanese chick equals image of wealthy Nippon. Gaijin-cheat!

Boss-Kimishima: Is that so??

PR-man: Rembrant and Rubens can't be wrong.

Boss-Kimishima: But it's ancient.

PR-man: We are riding on the nostalgia wave with our company.

Boss-Kimishima: Makes sense, carry on.
    Last edited by oliverclaude; 10-28-2016 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclaude View Post
    I understand your argument, yet it not only sounds like an excuse, it merely is one. This presentation was official and world wide. Everybody saw it, the rest will see it soonish, so to assume Nintendo just wanted to address "people who follow the industry" is not logical*. It's their statement about their highly awaited new product. And it sucks.
    Again, to whom is the product "highly awaited"? People who follow the industry. That's it. From a general population perspective, almost no one knows it's coming, and they won't until they see a commercial or an in-store display.

Look, non of those people "represented" in this trailer will buy a Nintendo console, not even close, simply because it's a toy and not a ueber-conceptual multi-, social media center like SONY's & Microsoft's offerings. It's not even up to date technologically, but very Japanese in it's appearance -- non of which will satisfy a western hipster weather he is close to the industry or not.
    What hipster plays basketball?

Personally, I like Switch (except for the name, though) but this trailer is preposterous and on a strictly professional level of marketing, it's just a failure. Nintendo probably wanted to link to some parts of the Wii clientele, that bought it for those stupid but fun party games. Or maybe they just want that kind of a bland, trivial and empty image for themselves now? Hopefully this presentation was just a misunderstanding and will be corrected, for this kind of marketing is going nowhere.
    It's the exact opposite of the Wii clientele and marketing. They never missed a chance to show Grandma and Little Johnny waggling like idiots with the Wii.

You are absolutely right that the marketing will change, because the target audience of the advertising will too. The message for early adopters is different than for people buying Christmas presents for their grandchildren, which was exactly my original point.

Mudman's Mask Designer

They're not going to put people in the commercial sitting in their parents basement eating hot pockets. They already know they're buying it.

The put people in their like grandma whose more likely to buy jewelry, and broman basketball player who's probably more likely to buy a suckbox 1, because they are the LEAST likely to buy the damn thing.

It's basic marketing strategy, if you're gonna spend money do it to try and reel those in not likely to buy the console already.
    Last edited by greedostick; 10-28-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Beaten in 2017: Not a Damn thing! But the Year is Still Young.

Close to Completion:
    Bravely Default - Skyrim (pc) - Dragon Quest IX -

Games I can't beat that make me violent:
    Solomon's Key (nes) (fuck Solomon and his damn key) - Festers Quest - R-Type - Ghost Pilots

[B]

Shermie's Secret Admirer

Again, ...
    These are all good observations, but it's also Nintendo's statement, an important one at that. And it's an alienating one, too. The image of "Switch" created in this presentation is ludicrous. Their product is intended to differ, the presentation was exactly the opposite, it's disposable and arbitrary, like that of a commonplace tablet made by a faceless conglomerate.

In my personal opinion Nintendo's either just delusional or inept. But time will tell.

Mr. Big's Thug

Apparently rumors say it has a 6.3 inch multitouch screen so it's the same size as the Wii U gamepad screen. To be fair would have loved a 7-9 inch screen since this isn't a pocket sized handheld like the DS lite for example. I mean Skyrim or 2-player Mario Kart split screen game on 6.3 inch screen?
    I'm also gonna miss the DS/3DS/ Wii U second screen. This new "console" better deliver some really special games for me to jump in.
    I bet this thing has touch screen controls for nearly every game so you don't have to use the detachable controls.
    The PSP also had a tv-out so it's nothing revolutionary. I bet also that this thing has a tv-out with just a cable needed. Maybe 720p and attached to dock 1080p.
    There are also phones with 6.3 screens out there with all the bells and whistles and they aren't that popular...
    This is actually a risky shot from Nintendo. They could have just done a true successor for the 3ds, go mobile and publish the big games on ps4/XBONE/PC. I see this is what probably happens in the future if Switch doesn't do well.
    Last edited by Slugger; 10-29-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Give an Azn
    A Break Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    Apparently rumors say it has a 6.3 inch multitouch screen so it's the same size as the Wii U gamepad screen. To be fair would have loved a 7-9 inch screen since this isn't a pocket sized handheld like the DS lite for example. I mean Skyrim or 2-player Mario Kart split screen game on 6.3 inch screen?

I'm also gonna miss the DS/3DS/ Wii U second screen. This new "console" better deliver some really special games for me to jump in.

I bet this thing has touch screen controls for nearly every game so you don't have to use the detachable controls.

The PSP also had a tv-out so it's nothing revolutionary. I bet also that this thing has a tv-out with just a cable needed. Maybe 720p and attached to dock 1080p.

There are also phones with 6.3 screens out there with all the bells and whistles and they aren't that popular...

This is actually a risky shot from Nintendo. They could have just done a true successor for the 3ds, go mobile and publish the big games on ps4/XBONE/PC. I see this is what probably happens in the future if Switch doesn't do well.

If you want a bigger screen just wait for the switchi, then after you buy it get the switchiXL, after you buy it then buy the Switch3D, then after you buy that get the Switch3DXL.... problem solved.

Ukyo's Doctor

I am most interested about the split controller (without the plastic thing attached in between.) This could be the way to go. I dont like holding my hands together like I have to do with a pro controller, 360 controller or dualshock kind of thing. For me, a wiimote and a nunchuk was always more ergonomic as long as I didnt have to use them for motion controls. Also, the lack of second thumb stick in this configuration was a stupid oversight. Now they will have two thumb sticks finally for this kind of controller that you can hold on your sides. I hope Sony and Microsoft will offer a similar controller solution as well for more powerful consoles going forward. And I hope pc drivers are quick to follow. Now... the lack of d-pad will be the last remaining downside.

They call me Gringo

I haven't been to big into gaming much anymore but I'm actually excited about the switch. I may actually preorder and get the deluxe bundle when it releases.

Quote Originally Posted by arbormatt View Post
    My wife bought me some new flyless under armour boxer briefs. The heat lately is making me feel like I am slow roasting my balls. Rayon or whatever the fuck fabric it is has no wicking property and keeps my nuts in a constant state of a pressure cooker.

Robot Master.
    Master Tasuke
    Eat Your
    Heart Out Bro'

There better be a god damn Metroid for this thing.
    Hit detection. it's all about hit detection.

Bashful Neophyte

Ah Nintendo, you never learn...

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.
    Officially No.10 at Schmups.
    DIG it Brethren!

The two detached controllers should have motion control.

Street Hoop Star

Nintendo is like a car maker that thinks coming out with a car with 5 wheels is a great idea, or a right side steering wheel car (yes I know there's right side steering wheel cars, I'm talking about the US market)

Sure, the fanboys will run to buy whatever they put out, but that just makes a very small portion of the market (hello Wii and Wii u)

As far as the previous comments about marketing this thing for the older crowd, give me a break, like grown ass people will actually show up somewhere and pull this thing out to play, LOL
    Gil Perales

Sakura's Bank Manager

Quote Originally Posted by GutsDozer View Post
    There better be a god damn Metroid for this thing.
    This 100%. Regardless of the hardware configuration, the hope of a new Metroid installment is the only reason I still buy nintendo consoles anymore. Sure there's always a few great exclusives that may also show up (titles like Bayonetta 2, etc), but Metroid is the reason I show up.

I know that the Metroid fanbase is extremely divided after the release of Other M, but that's nothing that a simultaneous 2d and prime release coudn't solve (like how the launch of Metroid Fusion and the original Prime was handled). A Metroid title for the Switch is rumored to presently be in development. Metroid for the N64 never came to fruition, a Wii U Metroid was a lost cause (although the metroid mini game in Nintendo Land was a lot of fun), and Federation Force on the 3DS was a failed attempt to reach a different/younger audience. Time will tell if this series has a brighter future on the Switch.

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

Quote Originally Posted by Chempop View Post
    The two detached controllers should have motion control.
    You appear to be in luck:

Quote Originally Posted by GameStop CEO Paul Raines
    A movement-related game is more fun for kids, you know, taking those accessories off - [the detachable Joy-Con pads] - you can really do a lot of interesting things with that in gameplay.

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx
    Parking in handicap spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces

You appear to be in luck:
    Paul Raines is a fucking moron.

Yes, but he's a moron who has undoubtedly already seen this thing in person.

Bashful Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by BlackaneseNiNjA View Post
    I know that the Metroid fanbase is extremely divided after the release of Other M, but that's nothing that a simultaneous 2d and prime release coudn't solve (like how the launch of Metroid Fusion and the original Prime was handled). A Metroid title for the Switch is rumored to presently be in development. Metroid for the N64 never came to fruition, a Wii U Metroid was a lost cause (although the metroid mini game in Nintendo Land was a lot of fun), and Federation Force on the 3DS was a failed attempt to reach a different/younger audience. Time will tell if this series has a brighter future on the Switch.
    I have every faith that if a new instalment of the franchise hits the Switch it will at least be good. Although i haven't played Other M, the gamecube series was incredible. Whilst my room mates at Uni were playing Halo i was quietly soaking in the atmosphere and isolation of the original Prime. Good times!

Nintendo has set a time for their official unveiling: January 12 at 8pm PST.

Sakura's Bank Manager

Thanks for the heads up!

*crosses fingers for metroid*
    Last edited by BlackaneseNiNjA; 12-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

Bashful Neophyte

Hopefully they will also release pricing details. The Wii U retailed far too high on launch.

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

it will be for sure something between 300,00 - 400,00 USD (or EUR) as always

We?ve risen up anew to drink the wine of vindication!

The Switch GPU will run at 768MHz while docked but only 307.2MHz on the go. For reference, the Shield TV runs at 1GHz. It will be interesting to see what is lost besides the 1080p to 720p drop when undocked. Thankfully, the CPU cores run at 1.02GHz in both scenarios, so at least it won't be game logic.

Geese's Limo Driver

I saw that bit coming from Digital Foundry. They use variations of the word 'assume' too much for me to take what they're saying as solid information at this point. I'm sure they have some of it right, but they don't have the big picture, just a fuzzy smaller one. If you're hoping for a PS4 forget it, but this isn't going to be a slouch either given at least what Zelda was showing. At the least it'll beat out what the WiiU can do, but by how far is up to interpretation. It does make total sense of the speed docked and not, it's that whole thing about them having a scalable system they talked about where it can run the same software in multiple environments where the console is preferred in quality, but game play wise and the play experience won't be impacted with some of the a/v quality being degraded on the go.
    Games, Manga, Transformers (G1), Japanese Robots, and more... http://tanooki.byethost16.com/
    Looking for the above stuff, Neo-Geo MVS, Dreamcast, and Gameboy(any) too.

Thread Information