Nintendo Switch

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
It's not crazy, but it's certainly not a plug and play thing. Basically you have to open a left joycon and move the innards to a new case.

Are there experiences with these anywhere from people who actually know the difference between a good d-pad and a shit one? If the backside of the pad is made poorly and doesn't contact well you'd be better off instead just slapping some type of cheap press-on PSP d-pad cover over the buttons (or slumming it and gluing a coin on).

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Are there experiences with these anywhere from people who actually know the difference between a good d-pad and a shit one? If the backside of the pad is made poorly and doesn't contact well you'd be better off instead just slapping some type of cheap press-on PSP d-pad cover over the buttons (or slumming it and gluing a coin on).

Well since that picture is of my joycon, I'd say I have some experience with it. The dpad works great for what it is. With shoto style characters, I haven't had any issues. With charge characters, I did notice I have to kind of raise my thumb at an angle to pull off super moves. The other thing I noticed is that the dpad will sit in the same location as the left face buttons, which is a little low for a dpad. This isn't a deal breaker by any means, it just takes some getting used to.

I had to adjust the dpad membrane twice to get it to sit correctly during install. If you take your time, you should be fine.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I usually hate motion controls but it's the best thing that ever happened to Resident Evil 4 (and Metroid Prime) IMO.

IR pointing works great, I still prefer dual analog sticks but anything where you have to shake the controller feels "off" to me.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Well since that picture is of my joycon, I'd say I have some experience with it.

I didn't know that was your personal setup. Thanks a lot for the info about it, I went ahead and ordered one.

The other thing I noticed is that the dpad will sit in the same location as the left face buttons, which is a little low for a dpad. This isn't a deal breaker by any means, it just takes some getting used to.

I have this same issue with the 3DSXL. With the shmups and NG fighters I'll gladly trade a little comfort for a proper d-pad.

That's head scratching issue I have with the Switch design. They axed the d-pad and made Joycons symmetrical so you can play 2 players with just one set. IMO not too many modern games can be played with just 1 analog stick and 2 shoulder buttons, so really the only viable use is playing simple 2D, retro style, or Virtual Console games with one Joycon per player. Those very games are the ones best played with a real d-pad and not an analog stick.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
That's head scratching issue I have with the Switch design. They axed the d-pad and made Joycons symmetrical so you can play 2 players with just one set. IMO not too many modern games can be played with just 1 analog stick and 2 shoulder buttons, so really the only viable use is playing simple 2D, retro style, or Virtual Console games with one Joycon per player. Those very games are the ones best played with a real d-pad and not an analog stick.

I can see why they did it. One joycon gets you 1 analog 4 four face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons. I've played NBA 2K and Mario kart like that, and while they're not perfect they get the job done quite nicely for quick tabletop mutliplayer.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Picked up Skyrim yesterday, as someone that only played Legendary Edition with no mods on the pc, I'd have to say that the Switch version is very well done. I don't feel like I'm playing an inferior port of a game and it looks like it's nice than baseline PS3. In portable mode it's even better, I am really surprised at how well it looks and runs in this mode. If you've played Skyrim to death there's nothing here for you unless you want Skyrim on the go. I have gotten a couple of really odd audio glitches and reported them, don't know if that will do any good though.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So the physical copy of Gunvolt is out now. For whatever reason Amazon didn't seem to get any stock and sent me an email if I want to cancel my preorder. Luckily Target had a few copies so I snagged one there. Played only a couple of minutes, but looks/plays great on the Switch. Perfect game for my daily commute.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
So the physical copy of Gunvolt is out now. For whatever reason Amazon didn't seem to get any stock and sent me an email if I want to cancel my preorder. Luckily Target had a few copies so I snagged one there. Played only a couple of minutes, but looks/plays great on the Switch. Perfect game for my daily commute.

That is odd. I've also noticed that the usual places are showing a Nov.21st release, yet Amazon.ca has the game listed with a Nov.30th release date. A few quick calls to EB Games and BB confirmed that no one got this title yesterday.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
That is odd. I've also noticed that the usual places are showing a Nov.21st release, yet Amazon.ca has the game listed with a Nov.30th release date. A few quick calls to EB Games and BB confirmed that no one got this title yesterday.

Really starting to hate my local Best Buy. They seem to not get most of the games in anymore. I wanted .hack//reboot for the PS4 and my local BB didn't get it in. Check on this game...nope. I can get it at Target, but then no 20% off. Guess I will just have to have it shipped in.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

Seems only GameStop and Best Buy got this game in on Wednesday. Amazon only had listing from third party sellers so I just went and picked it up at GameStop.

Amazon did this with a toy I had pre-ordered for my daughter recently. It hit the release date and got a new release date a month later. I saw the item out in the store for double the price, but waited to see what Amazon did. Once it hit the second release date, I got the item and for the original.price I paid. Maybe that the case with Gunvolt? It was $39.99 here.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Really starting to hate my local Best Buy. They seem to not get most of the games in anymore. I wanted .hack//reboot for the PS4 and my local BB didn't get it in. Check on this game...nope. I can get it at Target, but then no 20% off. Guess I will just have to have it shipped in.
Why not preorder for in-store pickup at Best Buy, if it's something you know you want? I do this with physical PC releases to get the 20% discount, because I know they won't get many, if any, copies.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Why not preorder for in-store pickup at Best Buy, if it's something you know you want? I do this with physical PC releases to get the 20% discount, because I know they won't get many, if any, copies.

Probably going to need to. I simply forgot to watch for this one. I didn't know anything about the .hack game until it was already out, so was left picking it up at another BB when I was going through. I'm just impatient sometimes.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Picked up Gear.Club, Skyrim, and Disgaea 5 Complete over the weekend.

Skyrim runs pretty well, very cool to have it on a handheld. D5 has a bunch of extra stuff and it's a great fit for the system. Gear.Club is arcadey but it's a huge game and fun enough to play.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Picked up both Mario and Sonic during the thanksgiving weekend. Since I don't have a TV at this moment I have to play them in handheld mode. Sonic is almost unplayable since everything is too small and the game is so fast. Though I was able to beat around 20 levels. And Mario is pretty sweet. It controls just as good as any of the 3d mario games and the game is very fun so far. I'm not too far into it but been playing like small sessions here and there.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I bought Sonic this week too. I managed to get it for £20 due to a website glitch. I've been playing it completely in handheld mode, like I do with everything on the Switch, and I'm actually enjoying it. I know what you mean about the size of things on screen, it can be hard to see on some of the side scrolling levels, but it hasn't made it unplayable. To start with I was dying a lot, due to the frustrating control, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. I'm enjoying it a lot more in the later levels, now that I've got used to the weird control.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I just think this game would be much better on the big screen since it will be easier on the eyes. The 3d parts are ok since the camera is pointed right behind you and you're just heading on a straight path most the time. But when it quickly changes to 2d youre character is much smaller and harder to see, and like you mentioned those 2d segment controls are frustrating. That said, the 2d classic sonic controls are fine, they feel exactly like how they were in Generations. I still haven't finished it yet but so far the game feels like a step below Sonic Generations .

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I just think this game would be much better on the big screen since it will be easier on the eyes. The 3d parts are ok since the camera is pointed right behind you and you're just heading on a straight path most the time. But when it quickly changes to 2d youre character is much smaller and harder to see, and like you mentioned those 2d segment controls are frustrating. That said, the 2d classic sonic controls are fine, they feel exactly like how they were in Generations. I still haven't finished it yet but so far the game feels like a step below Sonic Generations .

Yeah, I agree. I actually prefered Colors to Generations, but Forces does feel like a bit of a step back from both of those. Still, I'm getting my moneys worth. I'm near the end now, which is fine as I have Xenoverse Chronicles 2 waiting for me to collect.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
In terms of cash on hand, Nintendo is currently the richest company in Japan. They're not the most valuable nor do they have the most revenue coming in, but they're sitting on a warchest of 946 billion yen (roughly 8.5 billion US dollars). At this rate they could have three or four Wii U level bombs and still be alright.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
In terms of cash on hand, Nintendo is currently the richest company in Japan. They're not the most valuable nor do they have the most revenue coming in, but they're sitting on a warchest of 946 billion yen (roughly 8.5 billion US dollars). At this rate they could have three or four Wii U level bombs and still be alright.

Planning for some tough times ahead?

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Picked up Skyrim yesterday, as someone that only played Legendary Edition with no mods on the pc, I'd have to say that the Switch version is very well done. I don't feel like I'm playing an inferior port of a game and it looks like it's nice than baseline PS3. In portable mode it's even better, I am really surprised at how well it looks and runs in this mode. If you've played Skyrim to death there's nothing here for you unless you want Skyrim on the go. I have gotten a couple of really odd audio glitches and reported them, don't know if that will do any good though.

Do yourself a favor. Avoid hunting for Words of Powers from the Greybeards. Well you can do the quests but once you get the one for Arcwind Point, the shit gets a glitch where it doesn't count the quest as complete and it'll keep asking you to go there. It doesn't effect you happen to find the other Words of Power but that shit was annoying to me that the devs couldn't fix this shit since it was present in the PS3 Version after you installed Dawnguard.

In Short, Save your game right before you talk to that Greybeard about Words of Power.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Skyrim is a boring ass open world walking simulator. The Witcher games shit all over the Elder Scrolls games.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Did anyone pick up Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I was going to wait until Christmas to get it, but a shop here was mistakenly selling it for £29.99 on release day, so I couldn't resist. I'm not sure whether I should finish other games I am currently playing, or dive straight into it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
People that sit around and measure a game's framerate as if it impacts the RPG experience are a waste to me.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
People that sit around and measure a game's framerate as if it impacts the RPG experience are a waste to me.

Agree 100%
What ever happened to just liking a game just because it's fun?

I'm not gonna be like "this games great but the frame rate dipped to 59.9999 so it's no good"