Nintendo Switch

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
I could be wrong, but I couldn't find a way to do the homing move with the cap. Motion control you flick and then wave it to home in on the nearest enemy. In the control list there is no option for standard button controls. This is also the same with the move that makes the cap spin around you, but I did manage this by spinning Mario around before throwing.

You are right. It's written on the first screen "motion control enables extra options"

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
A local store is selling Sine Mora for 200 HKD (around 25 USD). Is it worth it?

If you haven't played it yet, sure. The current-gen versions aren't any better than the original from 2012, though.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Looking forward to going out and picking up Mario Odyssey tomorrow. Have a feeling I'll be spending at least a few hours on it tomorrow evening once I get home.

On a side not, actually tracked down a Wii U Gamecube adapter at a local gamestop...still brand new. Certainly wasn't in the best area, but maybe that's why it was still there. Haha.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Latest firmware update 4.0.1 has seen me lose GC controller support for the Switch.

As soon as I updated a little earlier from firmware 4.0, my third party (ZedLabz) GC controller adapter no longer works.

It would be a bit nuts if Nintendo has all of a sudden just removed that support. So I'm leaning towards this being an issue with my own setup, although I'm reading a few other complaints out there with the same problem.

Edit: Using a borrowed "official" Nintendo controller adapter, the thing works now.

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
It's nice that the Pro Controller will also do the motion control moves since it's got the sensor built in. Mario Odyssey feels great, actually reminds me of the magic I felt the first time I played Super Mario Bros.3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64. My son is playing as well and having a blast. I really like the sheer volume of hidden power moons in the game; the exploration and hunting them down never feels like a chore.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Anyone using fightsticks with the switch? I haven't looked into really yet but I picked my son up a switch and ultra street fighter for Christmas. Any suggestions?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Anyone using fightsticks with the switch? I haven't looked into really yet but I picked my son up a switch and ultra street fighter for Christmas. Any suggestions?

I'm using one that AJ built me with a Brooks Univeral Fighting board and it works great with the switch. Was rocking it out on Ultra yesterday. Your probably looking for something dedicated though.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object

There is this one out there: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Arcade-Hayabusa-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01N4P40LG

I haven't used it myself, but looks pretty good and reviews aren't too shabby. Plus...it's HORI, so that's a plus.

I've made it a fair distance in Mario Odyssey already and have to say I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I definitely want to go back and find as many moons and coins as I can. Feel like I barely scratched the surface in some areas.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I've made it a fair distance in Mario Odyssey already and have to say I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I definitely want to go back and find as many moons and coins as I can. Feel like I barely scratched the surface in some areas.

Wait until you beat the game before going back to past stages. There's an entire post-game that doubles the amount moons present in an area, so it's best to wait as the game makes it easier to get around and there are some other additions/extras as well.

Last edited:

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I marathoned Odyssey yesterday, I started playing in the morning and I couldn't put it down until I was done.

That shit at the end
Spoiler:
when you're on the moon was amazing.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I marathoned Odyssey yesterday, I started playing in the morning and I couldn't put it down until I was done.
You're the third person I've seen do that. I think I am going to wait to pick it back up until I have the time to do the same -- probably Saturday.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Wait until you beat the game before going back to past stages. There's an entire post-game that doubles the amount moons present in an area, so it's best to wait as the game makes it easier to get around and there are some other additions/extras as well.

Yeah, ended up beating it yesterday. Already started working on going back a little. Haven't had a lot of time to put into it to find a lot more, but I'm slowly getting there.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Just got my first switch in the mail from amazon (mario bundel) gotta say guys this thing feels WAY more quality than the wiiu ever did. I had my doubts about it but the first impressions are very good so far, that was after dealing with making yet another Nintendo account apparently a year or so ago they started some new Nintendo ID account thing. This new Mario game too. Cant stop playing it.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Finished it yesterday. Amazing game but somehow I feel it's less "grandiose" than Galaxy 1 & 2. Perhaps the OST? It seemed like an smaller scale game, not in actual scale (the levels are way bigger here) but the feeling of it...

The game is fantastic and I'm just after the credit roll with a whole new world of moons ahead. Not dissapointed but a bit emptier than expected.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Finished it yesterday. Amazing game but somehow I feel it's less "grandiose" than Galaxy 1 & 2. Perhaps the OST? It seemed like an smaller scale game, not in actual scale (the levels are way bigger here) but the feeling of it...

The game is fantastic and I'm just after the credit roll with a whole new world of moons ahead. Not dissapointed but a bit emptier than expected.

That's my feeling as well. It did make me want replay Galaxy, luckily I never did played Galaxy 2 so I've got something to got back to.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
That's my feeling as well. It did make me want replay Galaxy, luckily I never did played Galaxy 2 so I've got something to got back to.

Wow, you are in for a treat with galaxy 2. It's basically "Galaxy 1: Hard mode" with better music and refined gameplay. And getting all the stars is way more rewarding than just unlocking luigi. I'm curious to read your feelings about Galaxy 2 playing it for the first time after Odissey.

If the Switch is a huge hit (and that's almost guaranteed at this point) I'd love a Galaxy 3, the same way they released both Galaxy 1 & 2 in the Wii generation, but I'm afraid that after Odissey's success a sequel will be their choice.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Can't believe I haven't checked in here recently.

I actually got Mario Odyssey a couple days before it officially released (Offer Up fell-off-the-back-of-a-truck Special, I believe.) Spent 2 full evenings and a full day playing through it (getting 500+ moons, for those in the know) - while I'm old an jaded now, I feel like it's honestly got most of the magic of Mario 64 and far more charm. I don't play many games these days, but I feel like it's a serious contender for the best game I've ever played.

I felt the same way about BotW, too. I genuinely feel like we're entering a golden age of Nintendo. In my mind, that's two of the best entries in two of their best series, and we're slated to get more cool stuff soon - the first console Pokemon RPG is heavily rumored. a Fire Emblem is slated for release. And new Kirby and Yoshi games both look to capture the best of their respective series.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Will this be the only release of the game or just the first shipped? I'm glad I resisted the urge to pick it up digitally. eBay can be really annoying with the flood of empty case and art listings for the eShop games, this will just help get rid of a small amount of them!

No idea. Play Asia releases seem to be pretty solid though. I have picked up several play asia and limited run version of the same games in the past, and normally end up keeping the play asia versions because the quality seems to be the same. Unless you want to pay a premium and go through the hassle of ordering from limited run games for a shitty postcard or playing card.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Picked the Mario Odyssey bundle up today along with Double Dragon IV. Haven't dug into Mario yet, but I really enjoyed DDIV. I really don't get the negativity that a lot of people have towards it. I'll probably grab ACA World Heroes Perfect be pick up a physical copy of Ultra SFII later this week. (My ID is SW-4621-5929-3497). I wouldn't care to own Mario Kart 8 Deluxe but I hate to spend $60 when I bought the Wii U version + DLC and haven't played it much at all.

Anyone played Strikers 1945? I was thinking of dropping the coin on it if it supported a vertical mode.