Nintendo Switch

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Today and tomorrow online media says only in store Gamestop is getting a decent enough sized shipment at their individual stores enough it was worth making a story over (whatever amount that would be.)

For better or worse, the Switch is a pain in the ass to find. It's a perfect storm of it being something actually worth owning, but also because of that bullshit overseas with the NAND production going in the toilet after the major supplier of them stopped producing. Nintendo and Apple are competing for the existing stock more than other outlets so it's tight until line problems are fixed. For once it's not really Nintendo faking up supply problems to scare people into buying shit as there's a valid reason. On the up side, if this keeps up (NAND or not) it could just keep going like the Wii did a decade ago as it was (is) outpacing it in month for month sales I read and not just because everyone wants waggle sports and nothing else.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yeah i think what tannoki said makes sense more than Nintendo artificially limiting the production of their system. Not sure how long these shortages will last but I hope it doesnt hurt them enough to hamper the success of the console.

That being said, anybody else here looking forward to Mario+Rabbids?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Pretty cool look stick for the Switch.
http://www.8bitdo.com/nes30-arcade-stick/
I don't even have a Switch yet but I kinda want one of these.
$80 each... Seems a bit crazy to spend $160 for a pair of sticks for a system that could feasibly not get any more fighters (but I REALLY hope I'm wrong on that.)

Anyone get either of the Psikyo releases on the eshop? I got Gunbarich and it's a lot of fun. I can't see me playing it for long though. I will probably get Strikers 1945 at some point.
Gunbarich is awesome! I mean, it's only $8 on Switch. PCBs are near-impossible to find, meaning the only other option would be MAME. I'm really glad to see that one get a console release finally.
Are any of you other guys still having a hell of a time finding a Switch console? I mean FFS the darn thing came out like 6 months ago and still cant find one anywhere :(
Do I just have sh!t luck?
I found a Target here that's a bit off the beaten path (like the only one in town that's not on a main road / next to a mall) - they had about 12 in when I first called, and still had 9 or so when I got there a couple hours later.

My suggestion would be either ask a Best Buy when their next shipment comes in (my local Best Buy was more than happy to tell me) or check with Targets and ask them to search nearby locations too.
Gamestop gets them once a week, I'm sure it's a different day for each store but the one I go to had them Tuesday, yesterday I met an old friend there by coincidence and he picked up a switch, they get few like 3 or 4 at a time. It's not your luck, Nintendo's wacky strategy I guess, not your fault.
Gamestops here will only sell $450ish bundles, meaning you're basically obligated to buy whatever game they want to push, and a couple accessories you won't want. Not the worst option if money is no concern, but it seemed almost easier (and cheaper) for me to buy one at a Target and Best Buy would've been a better bet as well.

That being said, anybody else here looking forward to Mario+Rabbids?
I'm curious to hear how that one is. I saw a promo video. Have they even released any gameplay footage yet? Could go either way.

Last edited:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Welp, I managed to snag a system last week! Got Mario Kart, Street Fighter, and Zelda.

Zelda's blowing me away. I really only binge on one or two longer games a year, and this is one of them. I know everyone's played it already, but I'm impressed how it feels like a proper evolution of the original NES Zelda instead of another OoT-derived game.

I'm already done with Street Fighter; I don't see myself buying joysticks for it, and the default controller isn't very good - if anyone wants, I'll swap it for something else.

How hard is it to find a spare pair of JoyCons? Seems like a lot of places are sold out, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
It makes me glad I live in a country where most people don't care about Nintendo. I walked into a store on release day without a pre-order and bought one. Nintendo's UK online store have had stock most of the time since. I just had a look and they currently have the grey joy con consoles in stock, as well as a few bundles.

Good luck with the search. I'm enjoying mine, so I'm sure it will be worth the wait when you do find one.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Gamestops here will only sell $450ish bundles, meaning you're basically obligated to buy whatever game they want to push, and a couple accessories you won't want. Not the worst option if money is no concern, but it seemed almost easier (and cheaper) for me to buy one at a Target and Best Buy would've been a better bet as well.
No bundle shenanigans for the switch at the gamestop I go to.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
How hard is it to find a spare pair of JoyCons? Seems like a lot of places are sold out, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Not hard. Even the pro controller is usually in stock most places now. Even for the price increase I'd strongly recommend going that route- it's far superior to the JoyCons.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Not hard. Even the pro controller is usually in stock most places now. Even for the price increase I'd strongly recommend going that route- it's far superior to the JoyCons.

I love my WiiU Pro controller, and definitely want one for Switch eventually.

For 4-player Mario Kart, tho, I'd need another pair of Joy Cons (unless I want to buy two pro controllers) right?

Any other fun 4 player games out there yet? Preferably not rehashes like Bomberman, tho I do love Bomberman

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I got my sonic today from Amazon. Collectors edition was cheap enough with the 20% off they do on new releases. Wasn't expecting it to be this big though.
108f5cd0f6e192e4c5f39d4fa5f85e33.jpg

Game is great btw if you love classic sonic at all you will enjoy this game for sure. I'm only about 9 levels in but I'm loving it.
dc7b4f6a621ccec5fc8905f6af497639.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The Pro Controller for the switch it's nice except for the D-Pad, what a POS, the wiiU pro and the wii classic were so good, what happened?!

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Splatoon 2 bundle wirh system on Walmart.com for preorder right now

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I ended up getting a Switch with Street fighter, Zelda and Mario Kart last week. I have been on the hunt for a while now and I can say that this system seems more impressive than the last three or four that Nintendo has come out with. I also am impressed with everything about it thus far.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Are any of you other guys still having a hell of a time finding a Switch console? I mean FFS the darn thing came out like 6 months ago and still cant find one anywhere :(

Do I just have sh!t luck?

When I was looking for one for my brother last month I was tipped off on this spot. Free shipping too.

http://www.pcrichard.com/

I've been seeing fb posts a few times a week with people saying they're in stock at target, amazon, or walmart. I would check those daily.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I haven't had a reason to use mine in awhile which sucks.

Considering just buying up Cave Story and selling the overvalued 3DS release I have that just sits.

Tomorrow I should have a traded (new/sealed) ARMS coming that I gave up a couple Dreamcast games and Rockman7 for. I've read it's fairly fun even as a 1P game because of all the character and arm collection going on. I like that some say it's kind of like virtua on in style.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Guess a lot of others didn't unpack theirs since launch... there's still a Dollar to be made.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I still haven't seen one in-store. I'm not going out of my way to find one, but I'm still surprised I haven't even seen ONE. I check whenever I'm in a store that would carry them. I know where I live has to be at least partially at fault - lots of disposable income.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
I still haven't seen one in-store. I'm not going out of my way to find one, but I'm still surprised I haven't even seen ONE. I check whenever I'm in a store that would carry them. I know where I live has to be at least partially at fault - lots of disposable income.

Just saw a couple in my local Best Buy the other day. I'm sure if I was actually looking for one, I wouldn't be able to find them, but I seem to always walk in when they have them.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So I was in Target today buying milk and cheddar bunnies for the kiddos and figured I'd stop by the game section - managed to scoop a gray Switch.

I didn't buy any games and haven't opened it yet...having a bit of buyers remorse...just not sure if this thing is worth $300. $300 can buy a decent amount of American Girl doll clothes and accessories.

I'll probably keep it but we shall see. Right now I just want Zelda and Arms. Maybe Street Fighter...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I've been playing Mario Kart 8 a whole lot, going for triple star across the board up to 150 (including mirror), it's been awesome being able to take this thing anywhere and then coming home to play some more on the TV, I can't help but feel Nintendo got it right this time, I just hope there's gonna be more games coming. Also played Cave Story quite a bit, plays so good, got my Brook Stick working for USFII, downloaded Turfies for some side action. I don't have much but I feel Nintendo got it right this time, this system is great. Rocket League and WWE2K18 are coming and those are going to be awesome. It has been slim pickings for great games. Puyo Puyo Tetris is actually really damn good, it's also on PS4 for 10 bucks less FYI.

I hope more support comes to the system, and would love to see some Street Fighter Grips, 6 buttons on the face, Clicky D-Pad like the NGCD pads, maybe SNK would jump in and replicate the NEO GEO PAD USB for switch grips...one can dream.

Part of me wants to go nuts and get all the arcade releases that I would actually play, but I have portable emulation in the form of the JXD, although the switch controls are better quality...I don't mind spending money on titles with online play, a real loss from SNK to have all those games with no online play like the PlayStation NG station, that was cool.

The system is still worth getting. I love it, play it more than anything else at the moment....

Edit: Lighting blood wax candles to prepare a black mass to pray feverously for a Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition on the Switch...

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Pre-ordered some stuff off of Amazon, looks like some great Wii U games are going to be ported over, so I went for the Rayman Legends upgrade as well as the Resident Evil Revelations Collection and Sine Mora EX.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Pre-ordered some stuff off of Amazon, looks like some great Wii U games are going to be ported over, so I went for the Rayman Legends upgrade as well as the Resident Evil Revelations Collection and Sine Mora EX.

I'm hoping this happens more and more because I skipped the Wii U and there a bunch of awesome games I know is missed.

Still need to snag a switch first, of course.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Same here the WiiU was damn near dead on arrival. Sorry I had it for 1/2 the time I did, but I do wish I had been able to experience a few of the titles after it got kicked out of my house. MK8Deluxe is solid, never had that as I bailed around that time. As dumb as the forced touch controls supposedly are I'd still like to really take a crack at Starfox. I probably at some rate should get things truly under control inventory wise with my junk as I keep thinking that Yoshi upgrade on 3DS looks solid.

I am planning to dump my 3D slip cover release of Cave Story 3DS for the Switch one.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I've been playing Mario Kart 8 a whole lot, going for triple star across the board up to 150 (including mirror)

It's worth going for 3 stars on 200cc too. Doing that gave me a lot more play hours. It seemed too hard to start with, but once I'd got used to using the brakes it wasn't too bad and was a lot of fun.