Nintendo Switch

Slugger

Marked Wolf
Arms is really good and feels fresh. I like it a lot. It may not be the deepest fighter out there but it sure is fun.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
For any of you who bought the Switch, if you still have the box, can you post the bottom panel with the barcode? I need to see what the US and EU box (gray and neon joycon versions) looks like and I can't find any clear enough images of the bottom panels on those boxes.

He's creating switch repro boxes ;) lol

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Well stopped by gamestop. Ended up picking cave story blind box. Surprisingly they still had the Mipha amiibo for preorder with the others sold out.

Yeah, I noticed that and thought maybe the day one online update broke something. I can't imagine that's the border they intended having because it looks awful and the "Ultra" border is used everywhere else. I'm not holding my breath for it to ever get fixed unfortunately.

I thought I was the only one that noticed this! It drives me crazy!! We need to petition Capcom to fix this!!

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I've finally ordered USFII. I was waiting for it to hit the £25 mark, but I found it for £27 and decided that was good enough. I'm looking forward to giving it a proper play and trying the online.

The Switch is great for pick up and play games, especially as it's always in stand by with the game ready to carry on where you left off.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I haven't tried uss2 yet, but yeah that's my biggest praise of the switchI've been playing botw on my tv. My preferred way is on the the tv with a pro controller. But it's great that I can also play on the go whether doing laundry or on lunch break at work.

I've finally ordered USFII. I was waiting for it to hit the £25 mark, but I found it for £27 and decided that was good enough. I'm looking forward to giving it a proper play and trying the online.

The Switch is great for pick up and play games, especially as it's always in stand by with the game ready to carry on where you left off.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I downloaded Turfies, hoping for the best and what I got was a mixed result of good and bad. Not surprised to see that no one has noticed the mismatch pixel count, even while on 100 both ways which should be a 1:1 pixel count but such is life. The filters and scanlines are all pretty mediocre, what they call scrolling effect is a pretty mute feature, in other words graphically is just a run of the mill port like all the others before it. Gameplay wise it's pretty much right on track, no delay which is very important with this game.

Hiscoremode is where is at, a true test of faith. Just have to sit through at least a few runs to make some headway...Los Turfes Club Lives!

Edit: I also got both Necalis games, Cave Story looks neat, I still prefer the DSiware download on a DSiXL but this new game looks clean, kinda like the Cave Story ++, I also got Isaac, it's ok, was hoping for an 8-way twin stick shooter like Robotron but it's only 4-way, meh, still fun but not worth the money IMHO.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I agree the Nicalis stuff is solid but not worth the price. I didn't buy Cave Story again as I have the physical 3DS version people either love or hate. Isaac though I got at 20% off from amazon pre-order, but even that felt a bit much. The game is so random, so randomly sadistic too, and very wonky on unlocking most of it that it's just hard to say it's worth $32 let alone $40. I'm probably going to sell it, almost did a few days ago but pulled it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Isn't the 3DS physical released Cave Story 3D as in redone graphics with 3D models? At least that's the one I got for the 3DS but it would be cool if they released the 2D one on 3DS cartridge, maybe it's the ++ version?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Yeah that's the one. Same as the original, but they redid all the visuals using 3D models. This Switch one just goes back to the old pixel art style but there's nothing in there to make you buy it if you own a 2D version already other than it's on Switch (or somehow never played it before including the free Windows version from Pixel.)

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I played some USFII last night. I don't think I am going to get used to the joycons for a fighter, but it's playable if not comfortable. It still seems a bit easy, I played through arcade mode on 'tough' and had no problems. There are still a couple of difficulties above that though, so they should be a challenge.

I'm surprised they didn't add a survival mode. I always enjoy that mode.

I had a few rounds online and the lag was pretty bad. I'd say it was my connection, but V plays fine.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The arcade mode is dumb easy, online is where is at. I noticed the wireless isn't all too great on the switch, get the USB Ethernet adaptor for it, makes things a lot smoother but you have to play it docked.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
The arcade mode is dumb easy, online is where is at. I noticed the wireless isn't all too great on the switch, get the USB Ethernet adaptor for it, makes things a lot smoother but you have to play it docked.

I did this too. I considered the wifi in the house to be pretty good, but I noticed an improvement hooking up to Ethernet immediately. I'm using gigabit routers and cat 6 cables for good measure but I'm not sure what the real world speed difference is using Ethernet to USB 3.0 adapters. If anything it's just more "solid" and is easily noticeable when streaming videos off the switch news channel.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Wired is always top tier when it comes to connections due to wireless being half-duplex (aka it doesn't transfer and receive simultaneously). It isn't set in stone, but a good rule of thumb for what your max bandwidth on wired vs wireless is 1:3 depending upon what wireless standard you are using and distance you are from the router in question. At least this is what ive noticed on my systems with a Wireless N router right next to them.

I wouldn't really worry about the real world speed difference when using Ethernet over USB 3.0 for internet related things. I think USB3 theoretical can do 625 MB/s, but real world results due to usb standard and encoding is somewhat closer to 500 MB/s. In any case, this really isn't the limiting factor for consumers unless you are doing streaming over lan with 10Gigabit or something.

About the only thing you might notice on ethernet jack+cat6 vs usb3.0+cat6 is how usb polls affects your ping but it is still leagues than using wireless on these consoles. It really isn't even about how fast you can send data, but more about reducing ping the bane of all online connections.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Has anyone managed to 3 star every 200cc GP in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe yet? I've just got the gold cup in all GPs, including three stars on everything but 200cc, so that is going to be my next challenge.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Has anyone managed to 3 star every 200cc GP in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe yet? I've just got the gold cup in all GPs, including three stars on everything but 200cc, so that is going to be my next challenge.

Not as of yet. I was getting a bit bored while working through the lower stuff so I took a break, but I definitely need to get back to Mario Kart and see if I can get a handle on the 200cc karts. Not going well thus far...lol

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Not as of yet. I was getting a bit bored while working through the lower stuff so I took a break, but I definitely need to get back to Mario Kart and see if I can get a handle on the 200cc karts. Not going well thus far...lol

It's not too bad once you get used to it. I was awful at that speed to start, but now I can easily win every GP. Getting 3 stars is another issue, because you have to win every race, so that's going to take a while. I have 3 starred 4 of the 12 so far.

Don't forget to use the brakes :lolz:

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
It's not too bad once you get used to it. I was awful at that speed to start, but now I can easily win every GP. Getting 3 stars is another issue, because you have to win every race, so that's going to take a while. I have 3 starred 4 of the 12 so far.

Don't forget to use the brakes :lolz:

Haha. Yeeeeah. Always been bad at using the breaks in Mario Kart. Guess I just need to suck it up and get used to it.

On a side note...counting down the days for Splatoon 2. Other than BotW, it's the game I've been excited for the most. I picked up a Wii U because of the original and Mario Maker. Otherwise, I wasn't all that interested in the system. (Also went ahead and pre-ordered the Splatoon 2 Pro Controller.) I might even snag the Joy Cons if they come out in the US. Was able to find a pair of the yellow ones locally at least.

Yeah, while 200cc is doable, the fact that you have to use the brakes consistently makes it play almost like a different game. You've kind of got to relearn how to drive to win. I was poor at 200cc as well when I started. Not amazing now, but markedly better.

Chaotic Mind

New Challenger
Ah. The Nintendo Switch. I bought into it soon after launch. So far it has served me well unlike my original first generation 3DS that was complete trash...

Think I have almost $1,000 USD invested with games, controllers, accessories, and other crap.

Family came by recently and their kids enjoyed playing my games on it. Mario Kart 8, Minecraft, etc.

Their oldest even managed to beat my ass in a 2 player race Mario Kart 8. That made me feel old. LOL

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Looking forward to the Splatfest test this Saturday. I still need to download the demo and get through the initial process to be ready.

Chaotic Mind

New Challenger
Looking forward to the Splatfest test this Saturday. I still need to download the demo and get through the initial process to be ready.

I am tempted to join in on this but I may be busy. I did join in on the global test fire. That was fun despite the limited time frame of that run.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Well, got to play a good 2 hours of Splatfest this evening. Pretty similar feel to the original, but liking some of the new attacks, etc.

Already have it pre-ordered and more than ready to get into it asap. I wasn't sure how I'd like it on the small screen, but wasn't bad at all.

Servers were a bit spotty at times, often kicking you out and there were far more Team Ice Cream than Cake as I often played Ice Cream vs Ice Cream.