Nintendo Switch

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
That's a given. Nintendo loves their hardware revisions.

I read that the screen is getting an updated bigger one. Speculation is they want to run portable mode on a 1080p screen, rather than down-rezing to 720p.
This could also require some additional component updates, CPU, GPU... or even a redesign for cooling.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Yeah, this should surprise no one. It's why my daughter isn't getting one for Christmas. I was expecting to be able to give her mine next year when this was inevitably released.

In terms of timing, I think they have to launch before the PS5 and Xbox Two are announced, which means before E3. No, they're not directly competing, but a lot of people are still only going to buy one console in 2019, so mind share matters and, thus, so does timing.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
All I want is better battery life, a proper D pad, 1080p screen, and the ability to save to an SD card. Also maybe better internals so that not every port gets downgraded in graphics and sound.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Ah, ok. If they'll really choose the handheld route with this revision, then it should go without saying to make a decent one. But then again, only if it wasn't Nintendo.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

200.gif

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Got one of those Hori d-pad Joycons today. It's alright, a significant upgrade from using those replacement d-pad shells. Much more springy than those, it kind of feels like a SNES d-pad with a more rubberized texture. I was able to pull off dragon punch motions consistently without issues.

Really my only complaint is the placement, it's just like a 3DS pad where there's just no comfortable way to hold the system while using it for long periods. If they could have swapped the placement if it around with the analog stick it would have been much better.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Tried an hour of the world ends with you final remix, loving the upgraded visuals. I have to get used to the touch screen based combat that they reused from the mobile port, but the game itself is still as addictive and stylish as ever. The Kotaku review doesn't do it justice.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Tried an hour of the world ends with you final remix, loving the upgraded visuals. I have to get used to the touch screen based combat that they reused from the mobile port, but the game itself is still as addictive and stylish as ever. The Kotaku review doesn't do it justice.

I played the old one for a bit and liked the concept, but couldn't get into it. Though I do dig they actually went with a full upgrade to the visuals instead of the "upscaled" approach other games use. How does it play in docked mode when you aren't able to use touch controls?

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I played the old one for a bit and liked the concept, but couldn't get into it. Though I do dig they actually went with a full upgrade to the visuals instead of the "upscaled" approach other games use. How does it play in docked mode when you aren't able to use touch controls?

It's akwward at best. You have to use the joycon as a pointer a la Super Mario Galaxy when in docked mode, and it's clunky. The simultaneous attacking for both characters takes time to get used to, but as a fan of the original I got used to it.

Portable format is preferred, but I honestly don't find docked too bad. A lot of people feel this is just a lazy port of the mobile version, and I don't blame them. The price tag is also a bit of a sting, but as a fan I enjoy the Switch port. I don't feel I need to hunt down a DS copy again just for original controls. It's polarizing, but I honestly like it enough to warrant the day 1 purchase. If on the fence, wait until a price drop to see if a lower price is worth jumping in.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Anyone pick up Dark Souls Remastered? I'm tempted to get it, see how handheld DS is. Sounds like the performance isn't great and a few of the reviews said the controls feel a little off, but others said it plays exactly like it's supposed to.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Anyone pick up Dark Souls Remastered? I'm tempted to get it, see how handheld DS is. Sounds like the performance isn't great and a few of the reviews said the controls feel a little off, but others said it plays exactly like it's supposed to.

I'll be picking it up soon. Hopefully it plays well, but the fact thats it's Dark Souls portable is more of a selling point for me.

Unless this port blows me away, which I doubt it will, then the PS4 Remaster, or PC Prepare to Die Edition with DSFix will be the definitive versions.

Having it portable will be awesome though. I will enjoy it unless it's severely botched. Which doesn't sound like the case. Hopefully they fixed the glitched 4 Kings fight. In the PS4 remaster you can see all the Kings before they appear. Makes the fight a lot easier, which I do not like.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I had no idea Onimusha was being remastered. I’d like to pick that bad boy up when it releases in 2019.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I started DSR on Switch last night. Only ran through the starting area so far, but it's solid. The two biggest issues, IMO, are with the screen being too dark, even with the in-game brightness turned all the way up, and the Joy-Con controls not being all that comfortable (all in handheld mode, I mean). Regarding the controls, the Switch's shoulder buttons just aren't meant to be used extensively, and the sticks have less throw to them than those on other systems, so it feels a little less precise trying to strafe and dodge properly.

Overall, though, it's as good or better than I'd expect.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Anyone know if it's safe to use a pair of Monoprice Monolith 1060C Planar Headphones on a Switch?

I can't seem to find any specification on the switch headphone jack.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The switches headphone jack is made for earbuds pretty much, I need a headphone amp to drive my Sony 7506 cans and I imagine yours needs even more juice.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The switches headphone jack is made for earbuds pretty much, I need a headphone amp to drive my Sony 7506 cans and I imagine yours needs even more juice.

Guess I better not risk it.

On a side note...

Anyone playing Dark Souls Remaster?

I'm at the end of the game and I want to trade some items to a new toon. Need someone to help me.

I can help you through the game if you're stuck. I have everything unlocked right now.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
It's been leaked that Nintendo is releasing a Switch revision in 2019.

Told ya.

This was probably top priority for Nintendo after the switch got hacked...so no surprise it’s happening next year. I’d be interested if the portable screen is truly better and/or it didn’t take a performance hit in HH mode. I mostly play docked anyway. I can’t stand the “D-pad”.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I got Sonic Mania Plus. The gameplay is great, and as I'm sure a million people have said, "This is what Sonic 4 should've been."

BUT...

Wasn't the promise behind the game, "What a true 2D Sonic game would've been like on Saturn?" There really isn't that much that would exceed the Mega Drive's capabilities. At most, it would need the 32X or CD to pull off the UFO minigames.

Also, I'm wondering why the first act of each stage is basically the same as levels from previous games. Why not have all new levels? Maybe they wanted to launch at a certain date and couldn't do a full game of original levels...

Either way, I love the game and hope that one or two things happen:

1. This gets a sequel
2. We actually get a 2D Sonic-on-Saturn game with Astal-level animation and effects.