Nintendo Switch

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Did anyone pick up Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I was going to wait until Christmas to get it, but a shop here was mistakenly selling it for £29.99 on release day, so I couldn't resist. I'm not sure whether I should finish other games I am currently playing, or dive straight into it.

I got it on Friday. It's pretty good so far; I'm liking it better than X (though that's not saying much, X was more about not falling asleep than anything else). It's more a direct sequel to the original Chronicles, which is good.

Plays about the same, so if you like that style you're in luck. Looks nice enough, but yeah, it definitely looks like it's pushing the limits of the system. Everything looks really soft in docked mode. Really artificially sharp in handheld mode, which I don't mind as much as Eurogamer does. The lower resolution hasn't bothered me either.

Story is pretty solid so far (I'm about 3 hours in).

Voice acting is about as bad as the original Chronicles (mediocre to bad British accents. Main character sounds strangely like Michael Bisping. I'm not kidding).

Seems to have many of the same flaws as X, unfortunately. Almost everything is drawn out to an absurd degree. Cutscenes take 15-20 minutes when they could take 5 minutes. And in the game proper, you'll run into something like this: You have to earn a certain amount of money to buy an item that gives you access to a mission that also requires you to have access to a certain set of characters which first have to be recruited by blind-drawing items that you have to grind for, then, at the end of the mission, you might STILL need to grind to beat the boss.

None of that is exaggeration. I know full well that I may well tap out at some point, like I did with X (I consider X to be more disrespectful of the player's time than any other game I can think of), but for now I'll keep playing it, because the story's better than X and the gameplay is fun.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I got it on Friday. It's pretty good so far; I'm liking it better than X (though that's not saying much, X was more about not falling asleep than anything else). It's more a direct sequel to the original Chronicles, which is good.

Plays about the same, so if you like that style you're in luck. Looks nice enough, but yeah, it definitely looks like it's pushing the limits of the system. Everything looks really soft in docked mode. Really artificially sharp in handheld mode, which I don't mind as much as Eurogamer does. The lower resolution hasn't bothered me either.

Story is pretty solid so far (I'm about 3 hours in).

Voice acting is about as bad as the original Chronicles (mediocre to bad British accents. Main character sounds strangely like Michael Bisping. I'm not kidding).

Seems to have many of the same flaws as X, unfortunately. Almost everything is drawn out to an absurd degree. Cutscenes take 15-20 minutes when they could take 5 minutes. And in the game proper, you'll run into something like this: You have to earn a certain amount of money to buy an item that gives you access to a mission that also requires you to have access to a certain set of characters which first have to be recruited by blind-drawing items that you have to grind for, then, at the end of the mission, you might STILL need to grind to beat the boss.

None of that is exaggeration. I know full well that I may well tap out at some point, like I did with X (I consider X to be more disrespectful of the player's time than any other game I can think of), but for now I'll keep playing it, because the story's better than X and the gameplay is fun.

Do yourself a favor, get the Jp language DLC pack, I couldn't stand the voices after like 30 mins.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I finally got some more time in on axiom verge. It’s been really enjoyable so far if you like Metroid style games. There is a glitch though that creates static out of the left speaker. Same glitch has been affecting some other games too apparently but I guess they have to patch it for each game? The “solution” is to put the game in mono and apparently it goes away.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
^ nice! I just picked up Axiom Verge as well. The music is kickass and I like the "darkness" of the game so far.
I avoided getting it on other consoles earlier, but it just felt right to pick up for the Switch.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Do yourself a favor, get the Jp language DLC pack, I couldn't stand the voices after like 30 mins.

Thanks for this, I had no idea this existed. First thing I did last night, after hearing the first cut scene, was go into the options to change it to Japanese, but there wasn't one. I'll get the DLC immediatley.

I played an hour or so and I am still on the first area. Seems fun so far. I don't play a lot of JRPGs, but I really enjoyed the original on the Wii.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Axiom Verge is solid, and I don't remember if I got that audio glitch or not. I really like the mechanic with the teleport through walls.

Also was surprised to see Stern Pinball Arcade announced out of nowhere, first found on the UK amazon site. Gamestop lists it but oddly US Amazon does not and it's like out tomorrow or a few days after I forget but it is a physical release.

Westcb

Axiom Verge is solid, and I don't remember if I got that audio glitch or not. I really like the mechanic with the teleport through walls.

Also was surprised to see Stern Pinball Arcade announced out of nowhere, first found on the UK amazon site. Gamestop lists it but oddly US Amazon does not and it's like out tomorrow or a few days after I forget but it is a physical release.

I saw this on amazon and assumed it was just a UK release for now but your right GameStop shows it 12-12 release date. Not blown away by the table selection but could still be a fun pick up and go game.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I finally got some more time in on axiom verge. It’s been really enjoyable so far if you like Metroid style games. There is a glitch though that creates static out of the left speaker. Same glitch has been affecting some other games too apparently but I guess they have to patch it for each game? The “solution” is to put the game in mono and apparently it goes away.

Not sure if this is the same thing but I'll get a static sounding pop ever once and a while playing Zelda. I never found a work around.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Trailer for the new Zelda DLC. It should be up for download later today.

Bayonetta 3 CG teaser trailer

Also both Bayonetta 1 and 2 coming to Switch.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
YESSSS. OK, I'm no longer on the fence. I'm buying a Switch for Bayonetta 2 & 3.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Guess I'll need to start up Zelda again soon. Maybe I'll just go for a fresh game before I download it. That should give enough time to iron out any bugs that might plague the launch.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
I might just buy the normal version or if the jpn climax is in playasia etc. and does not cost much extra maybe( and have English subtitles and menus). I am not really that interested of special editions but this was one those cases that developer gave the games I wanted to system I own. So buy the special edition for support etc.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
And Square announces also on Switch in about a week a remastering of SaGa Frontier 2 too. Appears to be digital, but maybe some region over their way will have a physical release like I Am Setsuna was given.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Picked up The End is Nigh last night (I never played the PC version).

Awesome. And with the physical version you get a few fun goodies, as usual for Nicalis.

Westcb

My volume up button quit working. It stays docked most the time so not sure when it broke but couldn’t have been pressed more then a handful of times as I don’t adjust the volume much. If you hold the home button you can bring up a screen to turn up the volume luckily. I looked into Nintendo fixing it and it suggested I mail it to them for repair and currently shows it’s free but they would notify me if they needed to charge me. Kinda sucks as it’s not guaranteed I’ll get my system back and I already added tempered glass to this one to avoid screen scratches. Also I guess I would need to backup all my save files and go at least 10 business days without it. I’m not real clear if I have to pay the shipping too? Oh well at least I have the option to get it resolved by Nintendo. I did beat axiom verge though with 94% map completion and I think it was 82% items found :-)

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I did beat axiom verge though with 94% map completion and I think it was 82% items found :-)

What was your death count? I ended up finishing it with the same percentages as you, and I died 7 times. Great game though, I was very surprised on how much I was enjoying it.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
i'm surprised nintendo even allowed this to be made, let alone put it on their console. looks good, though. always room for more zelda.

Also, I finished Hyper Light Drifter recently. Far better than I expected. The dev said they are looking into porting it to Switch.

Westcb

What was your death count? I ended up finishing it with the same percentages as you, and I died 7 times. Great game though, I was very surprised on how much I was enjoying it.

Something close to 40. In all fairness I was using deaths to move around the map quicker. Rather then back tracking I would kill myself off. You don’t lose any progress dying and I didn’t think it was counting for anything so definitely ran that number up. In all fairness though I died at least 8 times fighting one boss before I got the pattern figured out. Started another game and now I’m flying though it, but I will have a Lower item count I’m sure as I was checking everywhere for items before and it absorbed a lot of time trying to warp and drill all the walls.
I did email the company about the crackling Audio and they said they have a fix for the physical version ready but Nintendo takes a long time to approve any updates so it might be a bit before it gets pushed out.