Nintendo Switch

Sega Rhea

n00b
Personally getting tired of these ports. I get that most people haven't played these games, but to their most loyal fanbase, having the Switch comprised as mostly Wii U games is a little insulting. And frankly, the system is boring from my perspective because of it. I want something new, and the largest Nintendo-made Switch titles to be coming out (that are original) are years off (Metroid and Pokemon). Give people ports... seriously, I don't care. But can we add more original titles into the mix, please?

Couple that with all the hardware issues I've had (and many, many people have had) and it's just a very underwhelming system for me right now. Why on god's green earth they thought PAINT on controllers instead of dyed plastic was a good idea, I'll never know. Decades of reliable use of dyed plastic, just to paint the damn thing with the world's crappiest paint. Couple that with bluetooth connectivity issues for the joycons, cracking plastic near the holes for the screws, a scratch prone screen, an unpadded dock, joystick issues galore, and the lack of foresight to have the headphone jack mounted on a joycon instead of the system so you can have a headset plugged in while the system is docked, and the system just feels extraordinarily rushed. In many ways, the awkward Wii U had better feature sets from the start, and that's really really sad if you think about it. The Wii U's gamepad had a headphone jack in the controller, the Wii U had online from day one, and the Wii U had a beloved community system where people could talk to each other easily. The Switch by comparison feels dead, devoid of a community or a fanbase, because it always feels like you're alone. Even a base copy of Xbox Live or PSN at this point would be welcome.

I'm hoping for the best, but it seems anymore with their home console line, if it's popular with the public, it's underwhelming (Wii, now Switch). I love Nintendo to death, but the love only goes so far with my wallet. If Microsoft or Sony did half of what Nintendo did, they'd be out of the console race. Nintendo should consider themselves very lucky people are so damned patient with them. It's like watching a 5 year old learn how to run a company.... he keeps messing up, but he's so damned cute... YOU CAN DO IT, KID!

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Personally getting tired of these ports. I get that most people haven't played these games, but to their most loyal fanbase, having the Switch comprised as mostly Wii U games is a little insulting. And frankly, the system is boring from my perspective because of it. I want something new, and the largest Nintendo-made Switch titles to be coming out (that are original) are years off (Metroid and Pokemon). Give people ports... seriously, I don't care. But can we add more original titles into the mix, please?
What is this "loyal fanbase" you speak of? Is it the same fanbase that snubbed the WiiU in sales, given that it's the worst sold Nintendo console next to the Virtual Boy? The reason you're seeing all these ports is because the WiiU install base is very low compared to the rest of the Nintendo line-up. The WiiU had 13 million sales since 2012, while the Switch is sitting at 10 million after 1 year, so from a business standpoint it makes sense to leverage a library of games that didn't get the same amount of exposure to the consumer.

I didn't buy-in on the WiiU because it was too soon into the original Wii's life cycle when it got released (plus I'm not a Nintentard fan boi). But there were a bunch of titles I welcome to the Switch, as I'll get to play them now.

Couple that with all the hardware issues I've had (and many, many people have had) and it's just a very underwhelming system for me right now. Why on god's green earth they thought PAINT on controllers instead of dyed plastic was a good idea, I'll never know. Decades of reliable use of dyed plastic, just to paint the damn thing with the world's crappiest paint. Couple that with bluetooth connectivity issues for the joycons, cracking plastic near the holes for the screws, a scratch prone screen, an unpadded dock, joystick issues galore, and the lack of foresight to have the headphone jack mounted on a joycon instead of the system so you can have a headset plugged in while the system is docked, and the system just feels extraordinarily rushed. In many ways, the awkward Wii U had better feature sets from the start, and that's really really sad if you think about it. The Wii U's gamepad had a headphone jack in the controller, the Wii U had online from day one, and the Wii U had a beloved community system where people could talk to each other easily. The Switch by comparison feels dead, devoid of a community or a fanbase, because it always feels like you're alone. Even a base copy of Xbox Live or PSN at this point would be welcome.
I haven't heard of the paint issue before. I play my Switch pretty regularily, and my joycons haven't shown any signs of what you've listed above. I think you're drawing a straws too aggressively to try to prove your dismay with the system.

The Bluetooth connectivity issues were fixed right after launch. If you didn't take advantage of their free servicing for your faulty controller, that's your bad.

Scratching the screen? Who buys a touch screen device and not get a screen cover? The tempered glass screen covers are cheap, easy to install, and is a vital purchase for any touch screen device.

Re: Headphone in the joycon... how exactly is this supposed to work when you split 1 pair of joycons into two controllers? That was the design of these controllers. Do you expect to have a head phone jack and both Right and Left joycons? That's just ridiculous.
And to be fair, headphone jacks in controllers is a relatively new thing to this generation as a standard feature. Yes, the 3DO had it BITD, but since then all consoles didn't have this full feature till recently. Before this generation the controller jacks were mainly used for mics.

I'm hoping for the best, but it seems anymore with their home console line, if it's popular with the public, it's underwhelming (Wii, now Switch). I love Nintendo to death, but the love only goes so far with my wallet. If Microsoft or Sony did half of what Nintendo did, they'd be out of the console race. Nintendo should consider themselves very lucky people are so damned patient with them. It's like watching a 5 year old learn how to run a company.... he keeps messing up, but he's so damned cute... YOU CAN DO IT, KID!
I don't get what you're saying here. The Wii was one of their best sellers. There are waaaay more interesting titles on the Wii than the WiiU. The WiiU was a failure, and rightfully so given their release window being too soon into the Wii's life cycle. Plus they made the thing look like a kids toy (ala N64 decision making). Nintendo has a chance to do over the shit decisions they pulled with the WiiU, with the Switch. I look forward to seeing more ports come to this system honestly.

And for someone who's profile name is promoting the Saturn, a system that is riddled with a majority of ports for it's library, you don't have much ground to stand on homie.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The 13 million in sales for the Wii U are likely the loyal fanbase, so I think you answered your own question, there.

The Wii U came out too soon after the Wii? So 6 years for a Nintendo lifecycle isn't OK, but 7 years for PS3 to PS4 is?

I dunno - I feel SR on the hardware issues. Like I mentioned in another thread - or maybe this one - I need to be standing next to my router to get any wifi signal. I've checked online and a lot of people are having this issue. The screen does scratch easily, way easier than any smartphone or tablet worth owning, which is why I dropped the extra money on a glass protector. At $300, it's not a luxury item like an Apple product, but then again, the entry level iPad is $330 and has a way better glass panel.

Headphones - SR is right. When you'd be breaking the controller into two, it's because you're playing with friends and therefore wouldn't need the headphone jack at all. Their entire net play solution is awful. Connect your phone to the console and then connect your headset to the phone? Are you kidding me?

Agreed with both posts on this one... Wii OG was awesome - tons of great games. But at the same time, I don't think they put in nearly as much effort as MS or Sony when it comes to one-upping themselves.

I like Zelda a lot. I got Bayonetta 2. And I plan on getting Mario, Kirby, Yoshi, and Bayo3. But for having a current gen console, it certainly doesn't feel like the PS2/3 era when something new and exciting was coming out every month.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I like Zelda a lot. I got Bayonetta 2. And I plan on getting Mario, Kirby, Yoshi, and Bayo3. But for having a current gen console, it certainly doesn't feel like the PS2/3 era when something new and exciting was coming out every month.

What amazing games came out in the first year of the PS2 though?

fake

15 Year Member
What amazing games came out in the first year of the PS2 though?

You mean you don't like Fantavision??

But seriously, fair point. But what's going to happen that will force third parties (and Nintendo) from make new games rather than ports? I don't see them running out of port fodder for a year or two. I get the sense that even though the ports are selling, third parties are still hesitant to invest the funds into developing something original.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You mean you don't like Fantavision??

But seriously, fair point. But what's going to happen that will force third parties (and Nintendo) from make new games rather than ports? I don't see them running out of port fodder for a year or two. I get the sense that even though the ports are selling, third parties are still hesitant to invest the funds into developing something original.

Oh I do love Fantavision, I own both of the games :lolz: I think it will be the end of the year or the start of next year when we start seeing OG IPs for the Switch. Ports are much easier due to ease of the hardware so it's kinda just buffing it up, do I want to play most of the stuff out now? Nah not at all, but let's give it some time.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It's funny, I hadn't really thought much about these being ports, I was so out of the loop that I never even saw a Wii U running.

I appreciate them - but I can understand the frustration if you were someone who had given nintendo your monies on the last console.

As for new titles coming out, I used to think that it was cash constraints that stopped me from worrying how many new games were coming out for a console when I was a kid, I only had the money for a handful of games a year so a few stellar titles and I was set. Turns out this is pretty much still the case, I get so much out of each game I'm happy to plod along with the same game for a month or two before I look at the next, so money wasn't really the issue. I'm just a slow gamer it would appear.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Kind of disappointed with the recent nintendo direct.Still i wasn't expecting any major announcement i assume nintendo is saving that for E3.Yeah it's getting more wii-u ports but i never got around to buying what was shown,so i don't mind getting it for the switch.For the smash bros teaser at the end,i never got into the series so i don't care at all it's coming to the switch.Good for it's fans i guess i was sick of seeing comments by them asking to bring smash to the switch so much begging shesh.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I didn't buy-in on the WiiU because it was too soon into the original Wii's life cycle when it got released (plus I'm not a Nintentard fan boi). But there were a bunch of titles I welcome to the Switch, as I'll get to play them now.

Six years is "too soon"? Alright then.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm loving my Switch more and more now with my new job. Biggest knock against it for me right now is that the battery life is short. I cant play the entire time from my time at the airport to my final destination. Well I can play less demanding games like Sonic all the way through but something like Odyssey will last only around 3 hours. And when I get to the hotel I can plug it in to the TV and play on my off time.

Though as a Wii U owner, the current library isnt too exciting, especially since I own many of the games that got ported. But I don't mind much since many people did not own that system. This year hopefully they start doing more newer releases from third parties. The latest direct wasn't anything crazy but it was solid. With the most exciting announcement being that Smash bros 5 was in development. Though I'm more hyped for Prime 4 and Pokemon.

And if you look at it from the perspective that the system has only been out a year, I think its pretty impressive what they managed to do.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
It's a couple months old but here's a good rundown of the changes they've made in Octopath since the demo last year.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Well the ports should be slowing down I bet at this point. I’m sure we will still see Mario Maker and Pikmin but I can’t think of any others they would do. I would have thought yoshis wooly world but since they already have a sequel previewed I would guess they would skip that one.
I’ll be getting Kirby since it’s 4 player and it’s always fun playing with the kids. I guess Bloodstained should be out before too long too so that will be nice to play on the go. I never finished another world so that will be fun to go back through although that’s another port I guess so yeah I can see where it’s wearing down on the wiiu owners.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...so yeah I can see where it’s wearing down on the wiiu owners.

Wii U's failure was not nearly as provocative and exciting as the success of the Switch is. I guess refusing to accept it, is wearing down on them, too ;).

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
So my local retro game spot had a switch for sale with everything minus the box, with my credit i was able to pick it up for 150 total. Looking forward to going through all of my games and replaying a bunch of my wii u games on the go and with all the DLC intact.

fake

15 Year Member
I guess the new Kirby game is mediocre. Bummer. I really loved Kirby's Epic Yarn. It was easy and simple but super charming.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
IGN gave the Kirby a 8.3, that's what I'd expect from this series. I've got it on preorder and will play it for sure.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
A "recommended" from Eurogamer is all I need for this kind of games, and Kirby got it so yeah.

fake

15 Year Member
Hmm good to know. Let me know what you guys think. I like classic Kirby gameplay, not the gimmicky stuff like "OMG 230 Kirbies on screen at the same time!"

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I played the demo on the eShop, and it seemed fun enough if a little basic and easy -- that's a lot of Kirby games, though. I'm hoping multiplayer makes it even better.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Anyone else catch wind of the Switch connecting to your facebook account? I'm assuming this is going to render friend codes obsolete, but I'm not sure I like the idea of that.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Anyone else catch wind of the Switch connecting to your facebook account? I'm assuming this is going to render friend codes obsolete, but I'm not sure I like the idea of that.

Just more data mining. I'd avoid.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Danmaku Unlimited 3 came out this week, anyone get it? I probably won't get a Switch, but at least there is an indy shmup update (previously on Steam) available. Game looks not half bad either.