Thread: CMVS or MVS Adapter

Geese's Thug

CMVS or MVS Adapter

So I have an AES home console with Bios and S-Video mod. My cart collection as of writing this is 11 AES carts, and 19 MVS carts.

I wish to play both formats, naturally. But I would prefer to get a stand alone CMVS because of the upgrades, features and ease of hookup. But it won't play home carts.

Do I get this:
    http://www.japangameonline.com/index...duct&id_lang=1

Or for about $100 USD more, get this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...3313141cTOvwue
    But then I would need to track down MVS carts of my AES ones which could be pricey.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Now I see that the unit does not come with the guts. I guess that answers my question. :/
    Last edited by Mai_Lover; 07-01-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Update

What upgrades? AES is the best "CMVS" actually. It even has a memory card slot, beautiful form factor, and RGB out.

The only concession you'll have to make is that the converter you're looking at isn't 100% compatible. Since you have a limited collection of both AES and MVS games, I'd still say it's the best option.

Geese's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    What upgrades? AES is the best "CMVS" actually. It even has a memory card slot, beautiful form factor, and RGB out.

The only concession you'll have to make is that the converter you're looking at isn't 100% compatible. Since you have a limited collection of both AES and MVS games, I'd still say it's the best option.
    Thanks for the info. When I said upgrades I meant component out and scart. So which adapter would be my best option?

Magic Key / Phantom-1 / Daedalus / etc...
    Last edited by Mai_Lover; 07-01-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Update

Cholecystectomy Required.

My advice? Sell it all and get a NeoSD. You'll have money left over and every neo game. No sense in keeping carts unless you enjoy them as physical media.
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."
    Switch FC 0965 2531 6217

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyMyEgo View Post
    ggallegos1 Is a cock sucking faggot. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mai_Lover View Post
    Thanks for the info. When I said upgrades I meant component out and scart. So which adapter would be my best option?

Magic Key / Phantom-1 / Daedalus / etc...
    Daedalus. But I think if you don't need to be able to play every game for the system, then Magic Key will probably be fine.

You already have scart. You just need to buy one of these:
    https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/neo-geo

If you need component, then I'd get one of these. As a bonus, it will work with any of your consoles that you have a scart cable for. The component encoder inside is just as good as the ones installed inside systems:
    http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=220

If you want a Unibios, someone can more easily install it on your AES than build you a whole CMVS. The same person can also improve your RGB output if needed.

I really can't understand your CMVS envy. You already own the most famous and best Neo Geo system. CMVS owners have tried to copy the form factor with the Omega MVS and came up short.

Geese's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    Daedalus. But I think if you don't need to be able to play every game for the system, then Magic Key will probably be fine.

You already have scart. You just need to buy one of these:
    https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/neo-geo

If you need component, then I'd get one of these. As a bonus, it will work with any of your consoles that you have a scart cable for. The component encoder inside is just as good as the ones installed inside systems:
    http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=220

If you want a Unibios, someone can more easily install it on your AES than build you a whole CMVS. The same person can also improve your RGB output if needed.

I really can't understand your CMVS envy. You already own the most famous and best Neo Geo system. CMVS owners have tried to copy the form factor with the Omega MVS and came up short.
    Thanks for the great info once again. No CMVS envy, just uneducated on how to get the best out of my AES. Question: does the SB-2840 upconvert the res to HD? Or do I need to obtain an OSSC or XRGB-mini?

Geese's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by ggallegos1 View Post
    My advice? Sell it all and get a NeoSD. You'll have money left over and every neo game. No sense in keeping carts unless you enjoy them as physical media.
    I'm not familiar with the NeoSD. Is it an all in one cart?

I'm not familiar with the NeoSD. Is it an all in one cart?
    Yes, plays every game including the ones that don't work on some MVS to AES converters.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

Geese's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    Yes, plays every game including the ones that don't work on some MVS to AES converters.
    Oh okay. Nice idea. Thing is, I create my own artwork for my shockboxes and love having the physical carts. But I may look into that in the future.

Thanks for the great info once again. No CMVS envy, just uneducated on how to get the best out of my AES. Question: does the SB-2840 upconvert the res to HD? Or do I need to obtain an OSSC or XRGB-mini?
    It doesn't upconvert. It merely converts the standard definition RGB signal to component YPbPr. You would need an upscaler like the OSSC or XRGB to get a true HD signal. I use a converter like the SB-2840 on my CRT, and the XRGB Mini for my flatscreen.

Geese's Thug

I went ahead and ordered a Daedalus 5.0 from Neo Store. Thanks for all the comments. I feel I made the right decision.

Daedalus MVS To AES Converter 02.jpg

Thread Information