Sound issues with Pulstar MVS

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So I purchased a Pulstar Cart from Adderall, Solid dude that I've dealt with plenty of times. Got it in the mail on Monday and popped it in my mvs and let the demo run with the sound turned down. I usually do this with all the mvs carts that I get just to see if they work. I let the demo run while I do stuff around my house. Game Demo ran ok so I didn't think anything of it.

Today I popped it in to give it a spin and noticed during the demo on the high score screen that the music was very loud and scrambled. So no biggie, took some deoxit to the contacts and popped it back in and same issue. After that took some rubbing alchol to the contacts, same thing.

So I thought maybe it's my ST Cmvs with a old 2.3 Uni-Bios, so I got out the Omega and same thing. Popped it in my Candy 4 Slot, same thing. So now it's not the mobo's, has to be the game. So I pop open the cart and inspect and clean everything. Only thing I saw that might be a issue is some pitting around some traces on one of the boards. So I close the cart up and try again and same thing.

So now I'm like ok, I could live with just the high score screen having messed up sound, let me try the jukebox player in the uni-bios and see if the music works fine and many of the tracks were messed up. Some tracks had distorted and scrambled sound and some would start off really low at first and then get really loud. So I took out the cart and popped it back in and the high score screen sounded almost perfect. Ran the jukebox player and almost all the tracks except for one or two didn't sound right. So I thought, it's getting better, let me try unplugging and plugging the cart back in and back to sounding like shit again.

Kind of a Bummer since I've been looking for this game forever and it doesn't work properly. Maybe it's just not meant to be.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Sounds like the first POWER SPIKES II cart I got. Graphics are fine, but the sound is messed up.

Sometimes, less often that not, you put it in and it plays fine; however, more often that not, you put it in and the sound is scratchy to the point of being distorted.

Haven't fixed that cart yet. But, I did narrow it down to the top board.

Last I recall, I suspected a bad PCM chip, as the uni-bios reported the rom(s) passed the CRC check.

Hope this info helps.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Sounds like the first POWER SPIKES II cart I got. Graphics are fine, but the sound is messed up.

Sometimes, less often that not, you put it in and it plays fine; however, more often that not, you put it in and the sound is scratchy to the point of being distorted.

Last I recall, I suspected a bad PCM chip, as the uni-bios reported the rom(s) passed the CRC check.

Hope this info helps.

As I understand it, if it sounds like a pissed off 56k modem, it's probably the PCM chip.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I would try first testing the V and M roms against the MAME set. If they have no problems, then it may be the PCM or a broken trace.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Hope this info helps.

Yes, seems to be the same issue. I ran the CRC check as well and everything passed.

Here is a Video of the problem. Is this fixable and if it is who would I see to fix something like this?

https://youtu.be/HNbdKfBTNZk

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sounds like either a bad trace or possibly a bad V rom.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Def, a Top/Prog board issue. Bust out the multi-meter and continuity-test (aka buzz out) all the traces to the PCM chip and from the PCM chip. Just to rule out a bad trace. All PCM traces should test good. If not, then double check that trace and make sure it's not broken. If the trace is broken, patch it via point to point and retest the game.

http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/File:Pulstar_set1_b1_front.jpg

Yes, seems to be the same issue. I ran the CRC check as well and everything passed.

Here is a Video of the problem. Is this fixable and if it is who would I see to fix something like this?

https://youtu.be/HNbdKfBTNZk

After you buzz out all the PCM chips, you'll need to bust out the programmer to test the V-Rom against the mame dump. Basically, download the mame rom, remove the two V-Roms one at a time, and compare each rom against it's corresponding file in the mame dump. If rom tests bad, then replace it. Looks like you'll need 27c322-12 (120 ns or faster) eproms. And re-check the board.

http://www.emuparadise.me/Neo_Geo_ROMs/Pulstar/119713
http://www.mamedb.com/list.php?fuzzy_name=pulstar

If the V roms are good, then it's def the PCM chip. Now you need a donor.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So I got my cart from James today and everything is all good. I want to thank James for fixing it. Xian Xi (JammaNationX) has been my goto Neo-Geo guy since I joined ng. Also thanks to my boy Adderall for hooking me up with this amazing game and helping me out. Also to Liquid Snake for hooking me up with the Vinyl Label.

I actually played this game all the way through tonight for the first time. This is probably the most beautiful shtmup I have ever played but It's also the most frustrating one as well. I mean, Is it even possible to beat this game without cheating. Even with invincibility and a few power up cheats I had a hard time on the 5th stage, lol. It also brings the Neo to it's knees as far as performance. I don't know if this game or Shock Troopers 2 has more slow down.

That being said, this game is amazing. Graphics are top notch and the music is unforgettable. Super Happy to have this one in the collection. Going to be playing this one for the next few weeks.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
What was the problem with the cart? Just curious....
BB

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What was the problem with the cart? Just curious....
BB

V2 rom had cracked solder joints on the entire top row. This is why only some sounds were affected when playing. When I tested it, the intro sounded a hair off and then when I got to the boss it was obvious. Took me a few tries to get to the boss...lol

I noticed on other roms that they were beginning to crack (has the round shape in the solder) so just went ahead and reflowed all the solder joints in the cart so it doesn't happen later.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks James. This game would have been unplayable without the music sounding correct. The Music in this game is some of best I've heard.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
:snack: I've been telling everyone it's teh best. And yes, it is possible to 1cc it. But it's much like R-Type, the whole game needs to be memorized. But it is my favorite Neo game.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
:snack: I've been telling everyone it's teh best. And yes, it is possible to 1cc it. But it's much like R-Type, the whole game needs to be memorized. But it is my favorite Neo game.

Yea bro, It's all about memorization but it's still pain in the ass trying to fit the ship in these little tight spots attempting to dodge bullets and objects coming towards you. Still awesome though.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yea bro, It's all about memorization but it's still pain in the ass trying to fit the ship in these little tight spots attempting to dodge bullets and objects coming towards you.

That might be what I like most about it, though.
It's like a constant nerves of steel deal as you navigate.
Here's the Pulstar look while it's being played:

immfzfK.gif