MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
@ neosd

will ther be a limit on how much mvs shells you can buy ? I guess there will be someone who buys plenty of shells to use it for other stuff ( if this shells take every mvs game pcb ) so maybe they are sold out bevor the neosd flashcard itself

The idea with the bundle would be cool

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
All this smart talk between tcdev, jeff, raz, and neoSD is giving me a hard on. Imagine all these guys working together on a project.

I don't think the NeoSD should even be sold as PCB only :) - just some static electricity and people would be asking for refunds.

lherre

New Challenger
@ neosd

will ther be a limit on how much mvs shells you can buy ? I guess there will be someone who buys plenty of shells to use it for other stuff ( if this shells take every mvs game pcb ) so maybe they are sold out bevor the neosd flashcard itself

The idea with the bundle would be cool

Take into account that neosd shells aren't exactly the same than regular mvs ones since they have the sd card slot.

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
I know but this slot should be tiny so most won't care :) and the aes style mvs replacement shell thread from shadowkn55 was realy popular

tcdev

NEST Puppet
Jeff, I'm guessing that a basic bitmap function on the NeoGeo would not actually be that hard if one was to use sprites to build the bitmap. You would of course be limited to the same limitations of sprites at 16 colors per 16x16 tile unless you layer sprites on top of each other, but it could be enough.

I would see that working by being able to bank in the bitmap RAM above 0x200000 to edit the bitmap, once you closed the RAM down the extra hardware would take that RAM and place it into the sprites used to build the bitmap. And bingo, as long as the sprites are displayed on screen as expected you have your bitmap.
This is pretty much what I had in mind when I added an SRAM to my design, though I was "banking" on having the bitmap accessible by the 68K more-or-less permanently by interleaving accesses from the CPU and sprite buses (if possible).

Since I've already done a line-by-line translation of Space Invaders from 8080 to 6809 for the Coco3, I thought a 68K version would be a good demonstration of bitmap mode on the Neo Geo. Defender would be an even better one, albeit more work! ;)

lions3

Igniz's Servent
This is pretty much what I had in mind when I added an SRAM to my design, though I was "banking" on having the bitmap accessible by the 68K more-or-less permanently by interleaving accesses from the CPU and sprite buses (if possible).

Since I've already done a line-by-line translation of Space Invaders from 8080 to 6809 for the Coco3, I thought a 68K version would be a good demonstration of bitmap mode on the Neo Geo. Defender would be an even better one, albeit more work! ;)

keep this talk going. happy days.

If you create a working MVS rom of either Space Invaders or Defender i'm sending you a virtual beer (via paypal). It's just too random and awesome.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

First, I have been following your blog for the last few years and love your projects.

Second, do you think you could port Ozma Wars since its SI based? I had always thought it would be nice to have SNK's "first" game put on Neo.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I don't think the NeoSD should even be sold as PCB only :) - just some static electricity and people would be asking for refunds.

LOL.

You and your eternal electronics P-H-O-B-I-A. :keke::keke:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Oh, how about testing Super Bubble Pop. I know it has some unique protection, just curious if it will work on there.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
can u port netbsd to the mv1b while ur at it

tcdev

NEST Puppet
First, I have been following your blog for the last few years and love your projects.

Second, do you think you could port Ozma Wars since its SI based? I had always thought it would be nice to have SNK's "first" game put on Neo.
Thanks! Ooh, didn't know about Ozma Wars, nor the link with SNK! That would be seriously cool - yes!!!

Not to derail this thread with OT banter, but Knight Lore was ported from the (Z80-based) ZX Spectrum to the (6502-based) Atari 800 by first running the code through a Z80-to-6502 translation tool. A tall order for a 1.8MHz 6502 to emulate a 3.5MHz Z80 and not surprisingly it did require some hand optimisations but ultimately it was successful and by all reports ran as fast as the original. With this in mind, I'd like to think that the Neo Geo would be capable of running auto-translated 2MHz 8080 code without much issue... maybe that's the way to go with Space Invaders and Ozma Wars???

Sorry, another edit, another tangent, but Knight Lore on the Neo Geo is actually a C port that I wrote as a direct translation of the original Z80 code. I contemplated doing the same for Space Invaders, but the code simply doesn't lend itself to a C implementation. Knight Lore was a really nicely written piece of code, and only jumped around in a few cases, and returned a few levels up the call stack once or twice. As a result, the C code is quite nice as well, mirroring the Z80 code quite closely. Space Invaders jumps all over the place, and has two ISRs which do much of the work; a C port wouldn't resemble the original code at all.

Would be interesting to crack open Ozma Wars and see how the code looks...

OK, last edit - I promise! Had a quick look at a YouTube video of the Ozma Wars gameplay. From what I saw, this could probably be ported to the Neo Geo without a bitmap layer, especially if the code is nicely written. In fact, for Space Invaders I contemplated attempting it, as 95% of the game consists of objects that could be translated to sprites. The sticking point in Space Invaders was the shields, and the damaged caused by player shots and alien bombs. I couldn't see a way of being able to replicate that with even a silly number of sprites. Note also that both Lode Runner and Knight Lore were originally written for bitmap systems, and it's fortunate that the nature of the game and the coding lent itself to the use of sprites instead. Ozma Wars could potentially do so as well.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
To be honest I find emulation in general, and MAME/MESS specifically, preferable for 99% of my development work. You generally only need to test on real hardware at strategic points throughout the project lifecycle. I did find one issue with Donkey Kong not displaying properly on my NGCD when I burnt the first CD... fortunately it took only a few "guesses" (and CDRs) to locate the issue.

Sorry I missed your post yesturday tcdev.

This is right and I do it this way myself and so do many other devs. Its the most logical and easy way with the current tools available. Even with a SDcard based flashcart I don't see the dev process would change at all. PC-2-NEO thankfully removes the pain when testing on the neoCD, it would still be easier to use that over a SDcard based flashcart providing what your testing fits into the neoCD RAM spec.

Where a cart with USB/RAM comes in handy however (even if only the P ROM space is RAM) are the possibilities you are opened up to over using a flashcart with SDcard. For example with special MAME build;

1) Uploading to RAMcart directly from MAME debugger.
2) Easily set breakpoints on real hardware etc from debugger.
3) Uploading MAME savestates.
4) Pulling the 68k state/workram from the NeoGeo back into MAME for simple debugging from that state (within reason, some NeoGeo aspects are write only).
5) Tracing and single stepping on real HW while looking at the ASM in the MAME debugger.

The list goes on. For me, given I have worked in software house, I would probably want MAME in such a way that it was talking with the cart always over using its emulation aspects at all, MAME would be the host, the cart the slave and I would always execute on the cart.

This would be my dream setup with a RAMcart. I need to remember I'm a pure ASM programmer though and some of these things are probably no good for a dev working with libraries and compilers only.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
All this smart talk between tcdev, jeff, raz, and neoSD is giving me a hard on. Imagine all these guys working together on a project.

To govern so many talents, one would need a highly skilled and experienced producer with upfront cash and charisma. Without one, conflicts are inevitable, mostly about money of course. A vision is so elusive, a producer ensures, that it stays in focus all the time. After all, it's not about perfection, it's about finishing and delivering the product the best way possible. The latter and the former are not the same thing.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
neosd has now sent the NeoSD to me for through testing/review.

blastar

Member,
1) Uploading to RAMcart directly from MAME debugger.
2) Easily set breakpoints on real hardware etc from debugger.
3) Uploading MAME savestates.
4) Pulling the 68k state/workram from the NeoGeo back into MAME for simple debugging from that state (within reason, some NeoGeo aspects are write only).
5) Tracing and single stepping on real HW while looking at the ASM in the MAME debugger.
:buttrock:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The list goes on. For me, given I have worked in software house, I would probably want MAME in such a way that it was talking with the cart always over using its emulation aspects at all, MAME would be the host, the cart the slave and I would always execute on the cart.

MAME Hypervisor?

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello guys,

We would like to anounce that our bank has finally removed all limits we had on our credit card payment system for USA cards.
For reasons we still dont know, we had a lot of no sense rules to stop transactions from USA and Canada credit cards, so some of you had trouble trying to purchase with those credit cards.

Thanks for your time and sorry for any inconveniences.