MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

neodev

Neosd Tech
Yes, I was going to say that I very much doubt the NeoSD would draw more current than some of the large multicarts out there! :spock:

I took some quick power draw values for the cart. These values are measured in a MV-1F board, on the 5V rail. They include both the neosd and the MVS power, because of that, it's hard to get an absolute measurement, as it depends on the MVS power consumption, and it varies depending on what's on screen.

MVS Idle in unibios cross-hatch with no cart: 0.87A
MVS Idle in unibios cross-hatch with neosd: 1.10A : 230mA power difference

MVS with original Metal Slug X cart on attract: 1.05A
MVS with neosd Metal Slug X on atract: 1.17A : 120mA power difference

MVS with original Spinmaster cart on attract: 1.00A
MVS with neosd Metal Slug X on atract: 1.17A : 170mA power difference

neosd flashing peak consumption: 1.35A, that is 480mA over an empty MVS, and 250mA over attract power consumption.

I don't have a xxx in 1 to test, but I guess they will draw more power, seeing they cause a bigger drop in voltage.
Games power consumption varies during game (probably due to different maskrom types being used), while neosd is consistent

So with these values, the conclusions are:

neosd consumes about 230mA, while a standard (of the simple ones) cart draws between 130 and 150mA. I haven't tested with latest original carts that have more complex chips and protections, as I don't have any but they will probably be closer to neosd. That's in line with what we expected, it has a lot more hardware to power, and runs at fairly high clock rates, while those tested original carts are mostly passive (msx has a protection chip).

Power draw is higher during flashing, that's expected, as it's erasing and flashing many chips in parallel, and also accessing the sd card.

On a side note, NeoSD can be powered with as less as 4V, and it will work (probably even with less), but the rest of the MVS won't, so if your power supply is right at the limit of what the MVS requires (4.9V is a safe minimum) it may happen that your MVS resets while flashing due to the increased power draw causing a voltage drop below the limit, but NeoSD will keep flashing data. If you experience this issues, just crank your power supply voltage up a bit.
Also if your power supply has a dial with marked voltage values, don't trust them, measure the actual voltage (the jamma connector is a good place), so it takes into account the voltage drop caused by the hardware.

Any arcade or PC PSU is capable of powering an 1 slot MVS with neosd without any trouble.

It would be nice if someone capable of measuring the power draw of his MVS, and with one of the latest games (svc, kof2003, garou..) could measure the value of his MVS in the crosshatch screen and in-game, just to check if they are closer to neosd as expected.

Last edited:

manic23

n00b
Thanks to the person who uploaded this artwork (sorry was unable to find the post to get your name) I am all ready to house my NeoSD on Christmas morning :)

Edit: It was aku thanks aku :)

2016-12-14 13.30.58.jpg
2016-12-14 13.31.12.jpg

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I notice that that artwork has Arcade Works Omega logo on it in the bottom center of the front of the insert.

Did anyone ask Quan for permission to use that?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
My NeoSD arrived today. Pity I wont have a lot of time to mess with it for a while.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I notice that that artwork has Arcade Works Omega logo on it in the bottom center of the front of the insert.

first thing I saw/thought as well...

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple

my first, personal version had the logo & it was available in this thread for around 15 minutes before an updated version was online. the "official version" updated in this thread / sent to dan does not have the omega logo. it even has some extra lines on the backside.

the insert on the photo is the "old version" (missing windjammers, with omega logo) - somebody also added the MVS logo (front, spine). but yeah, it looks good.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
Thanks to the person who uploaded this artwork (sorry was unable to find the post to get your name) I am all ready to house my NeoSD on Christmas morning :)
I shan't imagine that my AES NeoSD will ever require storage of any kind!?! :)

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Plea for Neo Geo game preservation help

Given the NeoSD may lead some of you Neo Geo collectors selling you Neo Geo games I wanted to appeal to your inner geekygamer for a minute or two.

Can you please check any original games you own (AES or MVS) and run them through the Universe Bios crc32 check and drop me a PM if you find any that fail with 'NG' or '??' (even if they are not in the list below).

There are game revisions known to be unpreserved and as a new NeoSD owner it would be in your interest (and all of ours) to get these preserved.

Below is a list of games that are known not to be preserved at this time. There will be more!

Code:
Games not in MAME that *FAIL* UNIVERSE BIOS CRC check
-----------------------------------------------------

Metal Slug 3 (encrypted)  ROM REGION - 9763419E  (fail) SMA may be different
Pulster                   ROM REGION - 40BD5336  (fail)
SNK vs Capcom             ROM REGION - 94073c7c  (fail) this is a bootleg
World Heroes              ROM REGION - CE096709  (fail)
Puzzle Bobble             ROM REGION - 3B213B8C6 (fail) crc typo here

Games not in MAME that *PASS* UNIVERSE BIOS CRC check

King of Fighters '99      ROM REGION - 7464D989  (fail) Korean ver, 0151 ID, has SMA on prog PCB

Reported Games that have failures (probably cart faults but you never know)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

King of Fighters '98      ROM REGION - BA09784A  (pass)
                          ROM BANK 0 - 1EFA8D4D  (pass)
                          ROM BANK 1 - F1AC3C58  (fail)
                          ROM BANK 2 - 2E72246C  (pass)
                          ROM BANK 3 - 3B014944  (pass)

King of Fighters '2001    ROM REGION - 938175OD  (pass)
                          ROM BANK 0 - 59152D64  (pass)
                          ROM BANK 1 - 73DD4705  (fail)
                          ROM BANK 2 - F92DD3B7  (fail)
                          ROM BANK 3 - AA1BABAD  (pass)

King of Fighters '2002    ROM REGION - 9EDE7323  (pass)
                          ROM BANK 0 - 9E586A5C  (pass)
                          ROM BANK 1 - DD53D452  (pass)
                          ROM BANK 2 - ADC6555F  (pass)
                          ROM BANK 3 - 6EAF9308  (fail)

It recently came to my attention there was a Korean Real Bout Fatal Fury in need of preservation and with the help of the game owner this is now in the process of being preserved forever.

Universe Bios crc32 report.

!cid_ii_ivi0qmov0_15862b5eec1a0f44.jpg

Note the color of Kim Kaphwan.

!cid_ii_ivgqu54x0_1585e1d7a216a8fe.jpg

PCBs.

!cid_ii_ivgraf0d2_1585e2910fcd87ff.jpg

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Any news on the shells? Sorry if I missed it.

Hello,

Sorry for the late answer, we were looking to have a more aproximated answer about shells today, but we still dont have it.

Right now we are waiting for the factory to end mold work, we werent happy with some small issues on the injection tests, so we decided to not rush the shells and ask for some small modifications on the mold.
You know, once you say the mold its ok, you cant ask for more changes on the mold anymore . So our decision was to have a perfect shell ratter than something rushed and not perfect.

Next week we have another meeting at mold factory so we will have more info.
Its pretty bad dates for factory work cause christmass and so many party days.

About next MVS batch : PCBS will arrive next week. We were at the factory yesterday, pcbs were finished and solder work will start next monday.
So as we will know more about the shells next week, our plan is :

To know when mold work will be finished to make another injection test and see if everything is ok (aprox date).

If shipping date for the shells is not near, we will offer to everyone that purchashed neosd mvs+ shell, to ship the pcbs now and send the shells once those are ready to be shipped (at no extra charge).
Another option will be offer UPS shipping at no extra charge to those that have ordered neosd mvs+shells (once we have the shells), for usa guys this may be even faster than if we would ship next week with correos.

Also, we are working on offer ups shipping upgrade to everyone that purchased AES, at extra cost. This upgrade should be arround 25 euros extra and UPS should deliver NEOSD aes in about 3 days (to USA and other countries) once we have the stock.
So far AES is on time, we submited factory order the day we anounced it.

So more info will come next week.

We hope you guys understand our decision about not rush the shells ratter than have a perfect product.

Thanks

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello Raz,

I have started to check my collection. Yes, i own a large collection

Do i have an undumped one ? :)

King_Of_The_Monsters_2_Undumped_1.jpg

King_Of_The_Monsters_2_Undumped_2.png

Thanks

Given the NeoSD may lead some of you Neo Geo collectors selling you Neo Geo games I wanted to appeal to your inner geekygamer for a minute or two.

Can you please check any original games you own (AES or MVS) and run them through the Universe Bios crc32 check and drop me a PM if you find any that fail with 'NG' or '??' (even if they are not in the list below).

There are game revisions known to be unpreserved and as a new NeoSD owner it would be in your interest (and all of ours) to get these preserved.

Below is a list of games that are known not to be preserved at this time. There will be more!

Code:

King of Monsters 2        ROM REGION - 3296E2B3  (fail)

King of Fighters '99      ROM REGION - 7464D989  (fail) Korean ver, 0151 ID, has SMA on prog PCB

It recently came to my attention there was a Korean Real Bout Fatal Fury in need of preservation and with the help of the game owner this is now in the provess of being preserved forever.

View attachment 41350

View attachment 41349

PCBs.

View attachment 41351

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
neoed, yes it looks like you have, your crc32 matches one I was given before years ago. I would suggest if you can, dump the EPROMs on the PROG and CHA boards first so I can confirm its ok and legitimate. If it is then dump the rest (its likely to match stuff already but you never know).

I would just add this version you have will likely be newer version of the game that addresses bug fixes.

I did not expect a positive find so quickly.. Great news for everyone!

Last edited:

kaironman

n00b
About next MVS batch : PCBS will arrive next week. We were at the factory yesterday, pcbs were finished and solder work will start next monday.
So as we will know more about the shells next week, our plan is :

To know when mold work will be finished to make another injection test and see if everything is ok (aprox date).

If shipping date for the shells is not near, we will offer to everyone that purchashed neosd mvs+ shell, to ship the pcbs now and send the shells once those are ready to be shipped (at no extra charge).

Thanks for the info.

Dandan

n00b
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but I couldn't help but notice it was mentioned earlier that the lovely new cart cases are universal and work for AES and MVS.
If this is correct, would it be possible to buy these cases from you?

I can see a huge demand from MVS owners wanting to replace the crummy old cases with these AES looking ones.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
https://twitter.com/ModernVintageG/status/809232789421903872

I love Darksoft... he enjoys it when people are trying to resolve issues... i suppose it deflects from the fact that he has no product...

Oh... .../waves at Lemony Vengeance... It's nice to see you being so supportive to the community here...

xROTx

PS. I do like to be kept informed about stuffs...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Code:

King of Monsters 2        ROM REGION - 3296E2B3  (fail)

It recently came to my attention there was a Korean Real Bout Fatal Fury in need of preservation and with the help of the game owner this is now in the process of being preserved forever.

View attachment 41350

View attachment 41349

PCBs.

View attachment 41351

Ill do all my games for you next week. Think i have about 30 or more.

neosd

Neosd Developer
neoed, yes it looks like you have, your crc32 matches one I was given before years ago. I would suggest if you can, dump the EPROMs on the PROG and CHA boards first so I can confirm its ok and legitimate. If it is then dump the rest (its likely to match stuff already but you never know).

I would just add this version you have will likely be newer version of the game that addresses bug fixes.

I did not expect a positive find so quickly.. Great news for everyone!

;)

roms.jpg

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
:) Another looks to be preserved for future generations to enjoy.

neosd

Neosd Developer
cool! About avoiding overheating, I think a desoldering gun would be best though ;)

I agree, thing is we dont work with anything is not SMD those days. So we only have SMD tools, the rest of the tools are casual use tools, such as the one i have used to remove those roms/eproms.

It did the job BTW ...

Thanks

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I agree, thing is we dont work with anything is not SMD those days. So we only have SMD tools, the rest of the tools are casual use tools, such as the one i have used to remove those roms/eproms.

It did the job BTW ...

Thanks

SMD is something I can't even start to think about, too difficult!! I completely agree, the sucking pump is definitively a must have tool. I just wanted to share how happy I am with the Hakko...best purchase of 2016 (well, still haven't got my neosd yet!)