MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

neosd

Neosd Developer
Ok one more question in relation to what you said about MSX. You say your patching the game on fly with the fpgas. Does this mean its patching in real time at the point the game is written to flash memory (so the flash is patched), or while the game is playing on the NeoGeo? I guess I'm asking if your cart is intercepting all reads to the program ROM space (0x00000-0xFFFFF) and then returning different values (than that in flash) for some addresses only, to give different opcodes to circumvent the protection?

Hello Again,

About Metal Slug X :

The fpga intercepts the read of specific addresses and returns a different opcode (nop) so it's bypassed. Because the cartridge can't know if it's a read or an opcode fetch, it will make the unibios crc fail, as it will see the modified opcodes as it scans the rom to compute the crc.

We dont patch anything on the rom neither on the flashes.

Think that on a regular basis, we could deliver the flashcart bypassing the protection as it does right now and no one would care about as long as the game is playable, but our goal is to make a perfect solution to people that love the system as much as we do.

This is the main reason we have adopted this design, we want to have 100% the same function the real cartridge delivers.

Thanks !

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hi, thanks a lot for already checking this, please let me know (I registered on your site my personal mail so please feel free to contact me there or in PM here!)

Awesome job and it is great having you guys here in this forum.

Hi
We have been an entire week doing tests with BBVA to get the payment system aproved and validated, they also ofrced us to put real products some days ago to validate what we were selling, but last minute things allways happens.

So, really sorry about that issue, we have called them but service time ends at 17:30 GTM+1 time, so we got forwared to tomorrow at 08:00 to check whats happening. Whats curious is that we got sales from UK for example, so its not a service problem at all. If you dont mind, send me a PM with your registered email and we will email you from store email address.

Thanks

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
We cant coment on future projects right now, all that we can say is that we have more things on the to do list that no one has done and we want to build.

Thanks !
Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
GUI is ugly. If it was made with more of a Neo theme like NGL then it would be an instant buy.

neosd

Neosd Developer
GUI is ugly. If it was made with more of a Neo theme like NGL then it would be an instant buy.

We plan to improve it, it may be on shipping date of latter.

Anything can be improved, but if you ask me, i love how it works.

Its fast and you can see the complete list of games with a few clicks (right and left on player one stick move page up and page down).
You notice that when you have more than 200 games in a list, its hard to decide what to load without see as much games as possible on the screen.

Thanks !

EDIT to say that we love NeoGeoLand, amazing piece of art !!

Last edited:

sparksterz

Camel Slug

lol...most flash carts don't even have a gui this nice. I also highly doubt that the UI is so ingrained that it couldn't be improved upon in time :p

Edit: Bummer, cases are out of stock. I'll probably hold off, don't know if I trust myself to cleanly insert 2 boards joined by header pins without a case to provide even insertion. Would be an expensive mistake!

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Hello Again,

About Metal Slug X :

The fpga intercepts the read of specific addresses and returns a different opcode (nop) so it's bypassed. Because the cartridge can't know if it's a read or an opcode fetch, it will make the unibios crc fail, as it will see the modified opcodes as it scans the rom to compute the crc.

We dont patch anything on the rom neither on the flashes, neither on the rom itself.

Think that on a regular basis, we could deliver the flashcart bypassing the protection as it does right now and no one would care about while the game is playable, but our goal is to make a perfect solution to people that love the system as much as we do.

This is the main reason we have adopted this design, we want to have 100% the same function the real cartridge delivers.

Thanks !

I can tell you, you have done it perfectly and the right way. This is exactly how I would have done it myself. Others would have (and have) taken the easy route with their devices and either patched data before its on the sdcard or patched while its written from SDcard to flash. Doing it the way you have is harder but it has many advantages that I do not want to go into publically (I guess you already know what they are).

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
lol...most flash carts don't even have a gui this nice. I also highly doubt that the UI is so ingrained that it couldn't be improved upon in time :p

Edit: Bummer, cases are out of stock. I'll probably hold off, don't know if I trust myself to cleanly insert 2 boards joined by header pins without a case to provide even insertion. Would be an expensive mistake!

Videos were uploaded last Sunday, but are quite old, there are things that already have been changed on the UI such as new logo designed by demoscene artist Alien^PDX

Neo_SD16colors.gif

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member

Most flash carts don't cost $400+... i would expect a better looking UI for the cost of this thing, than what a 160-in-1 cart looks like.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Most flash carts don't cost $400+... i would expect a better looking UI for the cost of this thing, than what a 160-in-1 cart looks like.

That's fair, I always preferred function over UI. I know there are people who don't. At least unlike a 160-in-1 this ui can change over time.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
What are the small pin connectors on the top of the board used for?

This is one hell of a suprise. Congrats to your team on what looks to be the first device released that can play every legit released game.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hi
We have been an entire week doing tests with BBVA to get the payment system aproved and validated, they also ofrced us to put real products some days ago to validate what we were selling, but last minute things allways happens.

So, really sorry about that issue, we have called them but service time ends at 17:30 GTM+1 time, so we got forwared to tomorrow at 08:00 to check whats happening. Whats curious is that we got sales from UK for example, so its not a service problem at all. If you dont mind, send me a PM with your registered email and we will email you from store email address.

Thanks

Thanks! PM sent

neosd

Neosd Developer

All i can say about that is : most of the flash carts are just a MCU or a FPGA that copies one file into a single flash chip. Not talking about the amount of time needed to develop something like NEOSD.

Thanks

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
All i can say about that is : most of the flash carts are just a MCU or a FPGA that copies one file into a single flash chip. Not talking about the amount of time needed to develop something like NEOSD.

Thanks

fair answer, I respect that. I just get annoyed when anything "Neo" related always has to have a high price tag because it's "Neo"...hopefully, the AES version isn't more because "it's AES".

Also, when will the cart shells be available for preorder?

neosd

Neosd Developer
i fcking knew it!^^ a few hours ago i searched through old pdx, titan etc. productions to find the "nearly 1:1" version...

anyways...awesome news...THAN I WILL GET ONE! OR TWO!!1^^

We know Alien since 20 years ago or so, i know much people may preffer new style art, i understand that, but this logo give us so much love for old times .

Thanks !

neosd

Neosd Developer
fair answer, I respect that. I just get annoyed when anything "Neo" related always has to have a high price tag because it's "Neo"...hopefully, the AES version isn't more because "it's AES".

Also, when will the cart shells be available for preorder?

Well, the price tag is linked with the amount of hours we have spent on the device, manufacturing costs, prototyping costs, company costs (remember, we are a company and we pay fees and taxes, you get invoice and one year waranty with your purchase).

I dont really want to talk about other flashcarts such as SNES or Mega Drive ones, even i have my opinion, it would not be fair neither prolly objetive.

Neo geo is not a mainstream system such as other systems (there are less people with systems), neither is an easy system to make a fast solution, we need to get our investment back to continue delivering more products.

So resuming : more work, more expensive to manufacture, less units to sell.

There is always more than one reason why no one has done this product before

At the end of the day this is all about : NEOSD is a product that has already been sent for manufacturing, people is going to have it, we may get or not get our investment back, if we get it, we will be able to do other projects, else we will have to keep coding other things not as fun as this one.

About the shells : We dont want to allow people purchase those now until we get the final ones, cause those are going to be black and dont want people complaining about cases being black and not white as the ones on the webshop (the ones on the webshop are printed with profesional laser printer, those are not production cases).
About dates : cases should be here before December, thats what we have signed with the factory.

Thanks !

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
We know Alien since 20 years ago or so, i know much people may preffer new style art, i understand that, but this logo give us so much love for old times .

Thanks !

I think its great. I loved the old warez/demo scene logos back in the day. Even better if you add an option for some music in the same style as well.

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
looks really good, interested in picking one up

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple

Thanks !

preorder worked from germany - thanks & glws :)

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
About the shells, any comment about the AES-style for an MVS cart?

I guess an MVS-style cart and horizontal label space would have been consistent!

(..btw, for "purists" would the pcb fit in a stock MVS shell?)

thanks!

NeoKuroyume

Quiz Detective
Looking forward to this. Great alternative to multicarts. Will be much easier to take to friends houses when we do game night instead of just picking out a few titles to bring. Keep up the good work!!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Exactly. It looks to function well but Neo is all about presentation. We all want something that looks VERY polished. If UI can be changed easily then they need to address it if everything else works 100%. The UI screams NCI to me. Also if there was any way to add "scanlines" it might be a good feature to have, overlay maybe.