MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi neo team,

Why does it take "so much" time to load a 80/90 MegaByte file? Did you have to program the memory controller into FPGA by yourself? Maybe USB next time, much faster in general.

And what kind of memory are the files loaded into?

Oh and do you know what bandwith the neo cart slot has?

greets

Here : https://youtu.be/eap_qqWHx-U?t=778 a video (in French) of a comparative flash time between same flash cart technology , neosd vs everdrive md vs super everdrive with roms of almost the same size on the same sd card.

neosd win hands down , 3 times faster so not bad at all for a flash ram cart

Last edited:

powerflower

Banned
Wow neodev, thank you very much for the detailed answer.

But, USB 2.0 is "ideal" 480 MegaBit per second, right? Which means 60 Mega BYTES? I am confused...

Oh and FUCK DARKSOFT :)

I worked for over 10 years in console modding/repairing stuff. No way DS would be a conversation at that times .... neither should it be today... :) Be real and transparent, easy as that.

Oh and thank you for sheddig some light of that holy Neo cart slot capabilities.

@ greatfunky

I wasn't bashing loading times in general, just curious why it takes the time it takes? Type 10 SD is 10 MBytes/sec... UHD SD stuff is wayyy beyond...

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
Wow neodev, thank you very much for the detailed answer.

But, USB 2.0 is "ideal" 480 MegaBit per second, right? Which means 60 Mega BYTES? I am confused...

Oh and FUCK DARKSOFT :)

I worked for over 10 years in console modding/repairing stuff. No way DS would be a conversation at that times .... neither should it be today... :) Be real and transparent, easy as that.

Oh and thank you for sheddig some light of that holy Neo cart slot capabilities.

@ greatfunky

I wasn't bashing loading times in general, just curious why it takes the time it takes? Type 10 SD is 10 MBytes/sec... UHD SD stuff is wayyy beyond...

Yes, but that is usb 2.0 high speed. Embedded MCUs usually just support up to usb 2.0 full speec, that is 12 mbit/s.

Also the sd speed doesn matter too much, as it can only be read at the speed the mcu interface works, and that is 25MHz.

That's why I said that keep in mind we are on embedded firmware constraints, there aren't ghz or gigabytes of ram available. the MCU runs at 168MHz and only has around 128kb of ram. So even if you could run a high speed usb on the mcu (with an external usb 2.0 phy) you can't achieve the maximum speed, as it has to be read and processed. You'll need to read, process, and all the data writting in just 3 cpu cycles, and that's not possible.

powerflower

Banned
That makes sense. Good to speak with people who know their stuff. Learned something today.

¡Que tengas un buen día! :)

hardyhell

n00b
Yes, but that is usb 2.0 high speed. Embedded MCUs usually just support up to usb 2.0 full speec, that is 12 mbit/s.

Also the sd speed doesn matter too much, as it can only be read at the speed the mcu interface works, and that is 25MHz.

That's why I said that keep in mind we are on embedded firmware constraints, there aren't ghz or gigabytes of ram available. the MCU runs at 168MHz and only has around 128kb of ram. So even if you could run a high speed usb on the mcu (with an external usb 2.0 phy) you can't achieve the maximum speed, as it has to be read and processed. You'll need to read, process, and all the data writting in just 3 cpu cycles, and that's not possible.

hy.
so this means that the max Flash Speed for the neo sd has been hit by now and there are no more improvements possible?

thanks

hello I do not see the answer, I have neosd, support it or he will support the memory card and if he can not, can we add a physical memory card thank you in advance, I come soon order the super system 3 thanks for these happiness

leonk

Marked Wolf
Kicking myself in the ass for waiting a whole year for DS lies to come true. No more. 1 NeoSD in the mail for me, and 1 NeoSD in the mail for a friend. I'm not waiting any longer! I would rather wait 2 mins for a game to load than 2 years for a game to load and then crash!

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
Kicking myself in the ass for waiting a whole year for DS lies to come true. No more. 1 NeoSD in the mail for me, and 1 NeoSD in the mail for a friend. I'm not waiting any longer! I would rather wait 2 mins for a game to load than 2 years for a game to load and then crash!

Smart decision leonk,its a fantastic product with great support.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Cancelled my DS cart order over the weekend. Not a fan of the lack of communication and being told that the MVS cart is a final revision but the AES will be redesigned based on issues in the MVS cart. For that price I don't want to be a test subject.

atman

n00b
Hey!

I ordered a SSDS3 system and I must say I like the support that they do when fixing the final boards and makes a new revision.
Out of that I'm very intrested in buying a AES version of the neosd.

Got two questions.
Are the AES version in stock ready for shipping? It says as of december 14th that they are in stock. But it can be outdated info?
Are they compatible with a NG with a UniverseBios?

Thanks in advance.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hey!

I ordered a SSDS3 system and I must say I like the support that they do when fixing the final boards and makes a new revision.
Out of that I'm very intrested in buying a AES version of the neosd.

Got two questions.
Are the AES version in stock ready for shipping? It says as of december 14th that they are in stock. But it can be outdated info?
Are they compatible with a NG with a UniverseBios?

Thanks in advance.

We have stock
Its compatible with unibios

loganm187

n00b
Okay guys I haven't logged in since the first major firmware update that added blood etc. Anything updated/added since then? I'd rather not read endless pages for info. Thanks!

atman

n00b
We have stock
Its compatible with unibios

Thanks for the reply.

One more thing I wonder about. Im quite sick of DS waiting.. And its probably gonna cost near 500EUR..

I know some of krikzz flashcards have rated for like 100 000 refreshes. Does neosd:s memory have this lifespan as well?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Thanks for the reply.

One more thing I wonder about. Im quite sick of DS waiting..

Me too.... SERIOUSLY... I've been waiting to end this affair for 3 years now...

I want it released... deal with the after effects... and move on... geez..

And its probably gonna cost near 500EUR..

Meh... spending that on a product with little to no info... is dumb... but i think the kiddy fiddlers on his forum are hoping it's good... as they like to think that Dicksoft is the messiah and has more tech knowledge than our forum..

I know some of krikzz flashcards have rated for like 100 000 refreshes. Does neosd:s memory have this lifespan as well?

FOOK knows... but it has been answered before...

xROTx

neodev

Neosd Tech
Thanks for the reply.

One more thing I wonder about. Im quite sick of DS waiting.. And its probably gonna cost near 500EUR..

Yes, the same applies to neosd. Each time you flash a new game, it will take a flash erase/write cycle, and the flashes support 100 000 erase cycles. We estimated that if you flash 10 different games per day, they will last around 30 years.

Also something that people forgot about DS cart is that it also uses flashes (for main program and sound program IIRC), so the same limits apply to that cart, ahthough having 3 slots to choose from increases the total lifespan, as long as the write is balanced, so despite using "infinite writes" RAM, the flashes will still wear.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I noticed there is a new samsho V dump in MAME released a few days back. Will you add it into the next neobuilder?

atman

n00b
Me too.... SERIOUSLY... I've been waiting to end this affair for 3 years now...

I want it released... deal with the after effects... and move on... geez..

Meh... spending that on a product with little to no info... is dumb... but i think the kiddy fiddlers on his forum are hoping it's good... as they like to think that Dicksoft is the messiah and has more tech knowledge than our forum..

FOOK knows... but it has been answered before...

xROTx

Ye, the info is probably somewhere. But I haven't been around for all 125pages...
I agree, some poll about what music should be on the cart... who cares?

Yes, the same applies to neosd. Each time you flash a new game, it will take a flash erase/write cycle, and the flashes support 100 000 erase cycles. We estimated that if you flash 10 different games per day, they will last around 30 years.

Also something that people forgot about DS cart is that it also uses flashes (for main program and sound program IIRC), so the same limits apply to that cart, ahthough having 3 slots to choose from increases the total lifespan, as long as the write is balanced, so despite using "infinite writes" RAM, the flashes will still wear.

OK, thanks for the info. I'm 99.99% certain that I'll never come close to flash it 100k times during my lifetime BUT, in theory is that Flashmemory changeable? Is it one or several chips?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Ye, the info is probably somewhere. But I haven't been around for all 125pages...

Let's just say... I'm relaxing and leave it at that...

Not that i'm being a hardass about it... but if you had read the 125 pages... you'd realised there's a list of "Do's and do not do's"...

My name is mentioned a few times...

xROTx

neodev

Neosd Tech
I noticed there is a new samsho V dump in MAME released a few days back. Will you add it into the next neobuilder?

Yes, that, and the new blues journey dump that happened some months ago will be added to the next neobuilder version.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
That new Sam Sho V dump is a build a week earlier than the home version of the game.