Phantasy Star II appreciation thread

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Oddly enough, I only played/beat 3 when it was released, but fired up every game in the main series + plus beat PSO on DC back in the day. They're high on my to beat list starting with modded for FM sound cart I picked up on here from Ki last year.

I think i'm the only person who actually liked part 3. I guess it's the black sheep of the bunch from my understanding.

This thread will probably make me bump them higher, but I really have to finish fire emblem awakening, and the few remaining Zelda games I have yet to beat.

It's weird because I remember so much from part 3 even though I played it probably over 20 years ago. Some other games, like Final Fantasy VI which I consider better, I can't remember much of. But Phantasy Star 3, I remember a lot of the game story, and character names through the various generations.

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Loved to play this on the MD as a kid - then borrowed it to a "friend" and never received it back :(

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Jesus fuck. Dragon Warrior was a slogfest.

Dragon Warrior is a labor of love I go through at least once a year. Never finished Phanstasy Star II, that's how bad the grinding is.

I played the 4x hack last night for over an hour, and even with the money gains I'm still fighting around the second town to get ceramic knives for the main character. It takes fucking forever!

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
This art is beyond awesome. Need poster.

Greedo im woth you on 3 i think its got a great concept. The problem i have with it is that the art is really lackluste, like whats there is nice,looking but they didnt have enoughh unique tiles so shit starts to look the same.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'm still fighting around the second town to get ceramic knives for the main character. It takes fucking forever!

Don't bother. Get the sword. Get steel bars for Nei, and daggers for rudo.

Knives are useless when you get to Ruron

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i definitely prefer the cyberpunk, 80's manga look to the japanese cover over the 70's sci fi looking cover we got here in the west.

probably one of my favourite game covers ever. reminds me of akira a bit. the detail :drool_2:

phantasy-star-ii-wallpaper-02.jpg

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Haha. I bought the empty case off this forum the other month just cus the art was so nice.
(plus the MD box for the first game)

ae85d472b208dadefad9bc39b1e8ce14.jpg

Last edited:

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Haha. I bought the empty case off this forum the other month just cus the art was so nice.
(plus the MD box for the first game)

don't blame you for doing so. i'll buy the case just to frame that insert.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
How you playing? PVM or Nomad?

Just some crappy 80s Tv I have.

3770783dfc034d6594bc9b8af61bbdbe.jpg

I did a little in the Nido dungeon but ended up falling asleep while playing. Won't get to play again until Friday afternoon. :(

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I started a fresh game last night on my PVM but haven't reached the 2nd town yet. Was just grinding to get some basic weapons and level up. Think tonight I might play a little on the couch with my LCD modded Nomad.

For extra enjoyment. Here's the box art for the limited MD release of the first game. (Anyone know where I can get an English translated cart made for this?)

1a34f9f88f62527ffb1e79196da05aab.jpg

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I started a fresh game last night on my PVM but haven't reached the 2nd town yet. Was just grinding to get some basic weapons and level up. Think tonight I might play a little on the couch with my LCD modded Nomad.

For extra enjoyment. Here's the box art for the limited MD release of the first game. (Anyone know where I can get an English translated cart made for this?)

Holy shit! The first phantasy star had a mega drive release?

Hows it compare to the master system release?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Iirc the md version was just the SMS version with a different pinout so that it ran on a genesis. If that is the case then a simple rom chip swap with the us SMS version would probably work. There is also an updated fan translation out there.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Holy shit! The first phantasy star had a mega drive release?

Hows it compare to the master system release?

Don't know. Don't actually have the cart. Only the case and manual. Sniff. But from googling it looks like it's a direct port from the master system.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Not only is there a fan translation, but it will run with FM sound as well. Which is super boss.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Not only is there a fan translation, but it will run with FM sound as well. Which is super boss.

Yeah. I have a socketed rom chip on my english PS. I really need to get on finding a translated jp rom cause i just ordered a FM Power Base Mini

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
The picture of Alis on the back cover of MD PS1 is so awesome. I ended up having a poster made of it when VT was doing them, as well as one from the Japanese cover for PSIV. Which is probably my favorite Phantasy Star artwork period.

Spoiler:

1194298420-00.png

Phantasy Star 3 was also the first one I played when we first got our Genesis back in the day. So even though it pales in comparison to 1,2 and 4, I have fond memories of it. It was ambitious for the time at least, with the three generations. It was a shame that it was a completely different team that worked on it. Kind of funny though that the entire online series continued the story of PS3 with the world ships, and the Neo-Alisa 3.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I actually just bought a Power Base Mini FM and am extremely happy with it. FM music on the SMS is fucking badass.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
As someone who's never owned a SMS you guys are speaking Greek to me. Now I'm off to YouTube for some education.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
SMS is really underrated. There's not many great games, but the ones that are, simply stunning.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
i really like the sms now, but it did ruin my childhood. i will always regret picking it over the nes.