Phantasy Star II appreciation thread

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So I made it through Climatrol beat to hell when I got to the center. Make sure when you are ready to tackle this 8 lvl dungeon that you are LOADED with trimate. Save all your TP for the boss. Thankfully once Climatrol is done I can focus on my other characters.
Also when you get Kain / Cain, go ahead and power lvl him to 10, once the robots come out you'll want him in the party for the dams.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Even with 4x exp the game is hard. Fuck those mosquitos btw.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Even with 4x exp the game is hard. Fuck those mosquitos btw.
I don't know why they made the start game so damn hard, most people get crushed right outside of Paseo and say fuck it. I don't blame them it takes a good hour of grinding just to start away from the first town.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And then the first dungeon is insanely easy to get lost and confused in with all the different elevators around. You will do most of your grinding in the first 1/3 of the game.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Allright, picked up part IV yesterday. Need to put a holder in it before firing it up though. I beat III back in the day. Should I play I&II first? Or jump right into IV? I don't want to be confused if the story extends through all the games, cause I have my FM PB Mini on the way, and could start with part 1 first.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
3 doesn't really have anything to do with the other three games.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Allright, picked up part IV yesterday. Need to put a holder in it before firing it up though. I beat III back in the day. Should I play I&II first? Or jump right into IV? I don't want to be confused if the story extends through all the games, cause I have my FM PB Mini on the way, and could start with part 1 first.

PS I if you like 3D first-person mazes. The game's not that hard, tho.

Play a proper translation of PS II - the US release fucks up a few story points.

Then PS IV will be much better to get into.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member

PS IV is definitely the most newbie friendly of the 4 games. All of the characters are fantastic as well as the story line being one of my favorites. Enjoy and watch out for the Sand worm Boss.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
3 doesn't really have anything to do with the other three games.

There's at least a reference to 3 in 4. But yeah, it's a minor nod at best. 3 is definitely not required playing.

Spoiler:
You explore one of the ships that left Parma and crashed.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
So yeaaaa... Broke down and picked these up. Have been really wanting to play them, for a long time now...

Just debating whether to start at the first one or jump into 2 and work my way up.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You should play the first one, it's good stuff. The first part is a grind, but once you get the full party you can mostly stop grinding. I would suggest using online maps for the dungeons though, I hate 8 bit 3d mazes.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
My first exposure to Phantasy Star II was when I visited my older brother at his new apartment and he showed it, and King's Bounty, to me on his roommate's Sega Genesis. That was the first time I had ever seen animated monsters in a RPG and it blew my mind at the time. And, because I was a lame kid, I even tried physically imitating some of the monsters (particularly the creatures that sit on the ground, twittling their thumbs, before suddenly standing erect and smashing your party when they attack).

When I was in college, I remember finding a complete copy of PS2 (case, manual, etc.) in a video rental store that was liquidating its 16-bit stock for cheap ($10), and then, when I got home with it, the damn battery save was dead (sob), so, I had to return it. The only version I have of it now is the emulated version on the Playstation 2 Sega Genesis Collection compilation disc (which also has PS3 and PS4 on it too).

While I like PS2 and have played it all the way through and completed it without cheating, all-in-all, I have to say that some of the dungeons are just too confusing and it's very grind-heavy--no matter how much you level up, the bio-monsters and robots always seem to have the advantage against your party. I like the setting/story/characters (especially Nei and the preying mantis-like Locusta monsters) of the game, but I can't say that it's very much fun to play compared to other RPGs. PS3 and PS4 are much more player friendly to me.

Group photo of the Phantasy Star II Rabbit, Kite Dragon, and Twig Tall figures (which are NOT to scale with one another) that I've made over the years:

PS2 critters.jpg

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
PROTIP:

If you're still on Mota, on your way to Ruron, theres a coastline thats sandwiched in between mountains and ocean. If you hang around there, you encounter 3 Slugmess and 2 Spitkills in a group. You can actually farm the Slugmess for money and experience. The Slugmess creates a copy of itself, but the copy it makes has the same HP as the one that created it.

I only use Rolf and Nei, and just have the other two (Amy and 1 other) hang out/heal/whatever. Go after the spitkills first, then start damaging the slugmess. Eventually you'll get it so that you can one-shot the slugmess, let the surviving ones copy themselves, get the group down to 1, rinse and repeat. you might have to defend a few rounds to get them to copy, but if you can keep it up, by the time the fight is over you'll get around 11k+ for money and 3 or 4k XP.

Do that enough times and you'll have enough money to carry you through the rest of the game and wont have to grind for XP as much.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
You should play the first one, it's good stuff. The first part is a grind, but once you get the full party you can mostly stop grinding. I would suggest using online maps for the dungeons though, I hate 8 bit 3d mazes.

So i POWERED through the first one and just finished it. Really good game reminded me alot of dragon warrior.

Im gonna start 2 here soon. Really excited for this one. But i ordered a cap kit, screen and battery and am gonna do some major modding on my Nomad, then i will get some serious play time done on it.

And 8bit 3d dungeons piss me off...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
So i POWERED through the first one and just finished it. Really good game reminded me alot of dragon warrior.

Im gonna start 2 here soon. Really excited for this one. But i ordered a cap kit, screen and battery and am gonna do some major modding on my Nomad, then i will get some serious play time done on it.

And 8bit 3d dungeons piss me off...

I always say i hate games with mazes, bit for some odd reason I love dungeon crawlers like shining in the darkness and holy ark. They're among my favorites on their respective systems.

Im waiting to get a rom for my cart now and have phantasy star one and two in my top 20 to beat next list. So hopefully real soon.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I must also say thanks Gohan for the advice. The first one was really good and definitely worth playing!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I played through it a year or so ago, it's still good stuff. Much more playable than most nes rpgs in 2016.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Anybody play the Playstation 2 Sega Ages remake of Phantasy Star 2? I haven't, but I've read that they made the combat even harder, but the player characters each have a new super ability that you can charge up over multiple rounds that helps even out the difficulty (plus you can save Nei, in a sub quest, if you have a Sega Ages Phantasy Star 1 save on you memory card).

TheoGeoAes

n00b
And a few more. All images are from the Phantasy Star Official Production Compendium, if anyone wanted to know.

Phantasy Star Official - Production Compendium_Page_49_Image_0001.jpg
Phantasy Star Official - Production Compendium_Page_50_Image_0001.jpg
Phantasy Star Official - Production Compendium_Page_51_Image_0001.jpg
Phantasy Star Official - Production Compendium_Page_52_Image_0001.jpg

FilthyRear

15 Year Member

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
Just started playing this again.

I'm about to go to Dezoris.

Fuck all 4 of those dams straight to hell.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I popped this in this weekend and holy shit I forgot how hard this game was. Definitely going to have to spend some grind time tonight.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
It's recently available in droid/app store. Free (w adds) or paid/ no adds is 1.99.

IMG_2088.PNG

Last edited: