Phantasy Star II appreciation thread

boy, everytime we talk about this game, the music in Paseo rings in my head and the differents sfx when you attack with your weapons is so clear. In fact the music in this game is really well done and catchy!!

juanjuan

World Soccer '96
Phantasy Star 1 is easily one of the best experiences I ever had in gaming growing up. Finding Dark Falz's door in that hallway was one of the best feelings my 12 year old self had back in the day, and it basically turned me into a life long gaming addict. That game is so special to me that even just looking at the cover art takes me back to those feelings of adventure and wonder the game provided. I highly doubt somebody playing it today will get that same feeling, as it'll just be another RPG to them, but back when it was released, there was nothing else like it.

I bough the Genesis just for part 2, and it did not disappoint - I would put it on par with the first one. It still provided that sense of adventure and had the badass medieval/sci-fi locales that made the first one so memorable. The Nei scene and the ending made it worth all the grinding, and the music, even to this day, is top class.

PS3 is shit, so no need to go there.

Having said all that, PS4 is the only one I can still go back to, as it doesn't require the insane levels of grinding commitment, thus making it the most playable. I don't find the locales, ambiance and music to be quite as good as 1 and 2, but it more than makes up for it with likable characters and fun gameplay. It just doesn't feel as epic and mysterious as the first two installments.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
For anyone looking to start this up, the best way to play the series is the PS2 Sega Ages Collection, which is available digitally from the PS3 store as well. There is an English option, and some handy additions are included, such as walking faster.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
For anyone looking to start this up, the best way to play the series is the PS2 Sega Ages Collection, which is available digitally from the PS3 store as well. There is an English option, and some handy additions are included, such as walking faster.

Didn't the PS2 remake finally get a full fan translation? I muddled through the JPN version on ps2 ages ago, but it was much easier.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Your post made me realize that more clarity is needed. There was a Sega Ages remake of PSII on PS2 (Volume 17), but I was referring to the Phantasy Star Complete Collection (Volume 32), which already has an English option.